New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida Lake Walleye?  (Read 8711 times)

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
Re: Oneida Lake Walleye?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:19 PM »
I run a 3ft 100% floro 6lb leader on my tip ups. Trilene I think. Normally I have no issues to es. However; I broke a nice eye of at the hole on Honeoye this year. Cut straight through it. Might change to 8lb floro to be on the safe side

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:21 PM »
4lb fireline 4lb flouro rap castmaster pimple slenderspoon and dinner is served

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:56 PM »
All this advice is awesome! Hearing snagger say a 26" ml is preferred is good because I have a jason mitchell in those exact specs I was planning on using. I think I'm gonna throw that Fireline on it and run maybe 3ft of Mono for a leader. I have some 4lb sufix ice and bionic ice both in clear and I would have no problem fighting these fish on the 4lb but I'm more worried about the hook sets.  I think I'm gonna step out of my comfort zone and run the 4lb lol I would rather break off a fish than not get any hook ups at all. That is unless you guys think 6lb Berkley ice fluoro would be fine. Also I have a machine so if the ice is good enough would it be worth it to run out to the Shackleton area or no? I would be fine walking that far as well if the ice wasn't strong enough for a machine as long as I packed light in my 1 man. I'm pretty pumped to get down there. I'm not really sure when yet but when I do go I'm gonna be ready for sure! Thanks again guys

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:33 PM »
  Be careful running too much leader with braid, it defeats the purpose, it won't translate the bite the more mono you attach.

I run 4-5lb drennan flouro on my braid rod, its strong stuff.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:30 AM »
All this advice is awesome! Hearing snagger say a 26" ml is preferred is good because I have a jason mitchell in those exact specs I was planning on using. I think I'm gonna throw that Fireline on it and run maybe 3ft of Mono for a leader. I have some 4lb sufix ice and bionic ice both in clear and I would have no problem fighting these fish on the 4lb but I'm more worried about the hook sets.  I think I'm gonna step out of my comfort zone and run the 4lb lol I would rather break off a fish than not get any hook ups at all. That is unless you guys think 6lb Berkley ice fluoro would be fine. Also I have a machine so if the ice is good enough would it be worth it to run out to the Shackleton area or no? I would be fine walking that far as well if the ice wasn't strong enough for a machine as long as I packed light in my 1 man. I'm pretty pumped to get down there. I'm not really sure when yet but when I do go I'm gonna be ready for sure! Thanks again guys

I ran the 6lb Berkley ice fluoro on my 2 main walleye rods last year (mainline & leader) and it worked great. No break-offs and a whole bunch of fish on the ice. It twists pretty bad on a spinning reel as the main line though (The barrel swivel helps but doesn't alleviate it completely). I downsized to 4 & 5 lb and it has a lot less coiling problems. I use Line Butter too. That's supposed to help with the twist and may be a reason the Ice-Tec braid doesn't freeze up on me.

Well. Typing that got me ready to go. Looks like time to load up and head to Apps!

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Drennan is great stuff snagger I use it for leader on my spin & fly gear for steelhead and have never really had a problem....I may consider using some. I've also noticed that the Berkley fluoro has strong memory and it seems a lot thicker than most. I'll keep using it until I'm really sick of it. I've got plenty of spoons now I'm looking at #5 jiggin raps in fire tiger, chartreuse and blue colors? Is that a good starting point?

Offline Luckedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Main forage are small perch so think along those lines. I have caught them on all kinds of stuff - when they are hitting they hammer whatever you put down. Raps are nice but those stupid front and back hooks are horrible. Snags is right - front hook mostly. Putting a bigger treble on bottom helps. This will start a war but I rarely need any live bait on a rap.......
Urban Redneck Association

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:15 AM »

lots off guys use no bate that's a personal preference , but when the bite gets tough , well I feel more comfortable with some bait , If I get lucky and get my 3 eyes early , I start looking for perch , no sense in driving 62 miles round trip for 15 min of fishing on some days  ;)

Offline hitechmike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Its not about catching fish. Its about living
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Drennan is great stuff snagger I use it for leader on my spin & fly gear for steelhead and have never really had a problem....I may consider using some. I've also noticed that the Berkley fluoro has strong memory and it seems a lot thicker than most. I'll keep using it until I'm really sick of it. I've got plenty of spoons now I'm looking at #5 jiggin raps in fire tiger, chartreuse and blue colors? Is that a good starting point?
You sure your just 16? Pretty well spoken and you already seem to know what your doing. Nice job kiddo.  Way to keep us older guys hopeful that there are young, up and coming real sportsman out there willing to ask AND listen. I agree with huntny that your getting Oneida advice from a few of the best.
Since your getting some technique and equipment advice from those who know.  I will tell you this. When it comes to Oneida...don't give up. That lake has gotten the best of me more days then I like. But I keep going and the fishing has gotten better.
More important then ALL that advice is to be smart. Be safe. And if your not sure...don't go!  Be smart first.  Your off to a good start.  Congrats

Offline lbjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:00 AM »
hammer the bottom with blade limit out in no time go on the hunt for the perch

Offline dcosto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I disagree with cutting the hooks off, did that too a few of my raps 8-9 yrs ago, my numbers went way down, 70% of my eyes are hooked on that single hook on the front, perch included.  I've always replaced the trebs that come on it with some of my own..  26 inch medium light rods for me....
When replacing the treble hook on the raps, Do you go bigger, smaller, or replace the treble with a different brand that you prefer?

Offline dcosto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:28 AM »
You sure your just 16? Pretty well spoken and you already seem to know what your doing. Nice job kiddo.  Way to keep us older guys hopeful that there are young, up and coming real sportsman out there willing to ask AND listen. I agree with huntny that your getting Oneida advice from a few of the best.
Since your getting some technique and equipment advice from those who know.  I will tell you this. When it comes to Oneida...don't give up. That lake has gotten the best of me more days then I like. But I keep going and the fishing has gotten better.
More important then ALL that advice is to be smart. Be safe. And if your not sure...don't go!  Be smart first.  Your off to a good start.  Congrats
I was just thinking the same thing, when i read your post. I to, learn a lot reading thier posts. Do any of those guys do charters for hire?

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:27 PM »
This is a great thread, thanks for asking the questions that I have been afraid to ask!  And thanks to the guys that gave the info, its a huge help!  I guess anyone can throw a jigging rap on their line and not catch anything, (Like me, and then say "these things suck" lol).  Its nice to hear about the different techniques, thanks again everyone!
-Chris

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:45 PM »
When replacing the treble hook on the raps, Do you go bigger, smaller, or replace the treble with a different brand that you prefer?

You want to go a bit bigger than what's on there. 

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I roll with 8# ( quality)  mono, then a tiny barrel swivel, then a PURE floro leader, then finally a small snap.  I like the heavier line, and never had or found any issues with catching less fish. They don't see the floro leader anyway, and that's the critical area of your presentation. Other than that, i DO change trebles on most of my jigs, or at least sharpen the ones that come with them.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline gradyv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:53 PM »
depends on the size of the rap

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Yup only 16 I actually got my license today so I might head to oneida soon. Ive got alot of knowledge from all the guys here and I really appreciate it! I fish Chaumont Bay primarily and I do alright so Im familiar with finding fish on the big water. Between that and the knowledge here I feel like I will have a good chance at catching a few fish. Im getting more excited everyday now I just need to plan a day to head down there.

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:44 PM »
How about where to find a good Oneida map?  Have a hard time finding a good one, and can't find a good spot to fish out there.  I am avoiding crowds though so that probably doesn't help.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:58 PM »

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Zoom in on it on Navionics. Amazing detail

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:29 PM »
hammer the bottom with blade limit out in no time go on the hunt for the perch

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ::) :tipup:

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Thanks for the link to that map thats great.  This is why I hate computers I feel like I should have been able to find that on my own  ???

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Pimples worked wonders today. The bigger I used the bigger the walleye. Used pearl/white. Hammered nickel. And straight silver. All tipped with a minnow head

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:43 PM »
ml

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I could fix the second one using  icon just to the left of the earth icon. buck 1, Nice fish!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline oldiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:51 PM »
All great advice I might have to try

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Nice bunch of perch :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:51 PM »
  thanks bart for the fix up with the pic. that was my first time. wish i put all the pic s on here there would be alot. what works for me every time on oneida is a small sweetish pimple with a   buckeye head. works every time. idont use jigging raps at all. for me its a pimple or a spoon if they wont take the spoon i go with the pimple and slow it down. work the bottom because  more then likely they are being finicky. i think with the full moon they feed most of the nite so they really  aint as active. but when they see a small offering they cant pass it up.   thats just my 2 cents that works very well for me. now  go get  ur done    good luck to all.
ml

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Nice bunch of perch :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
AND EYES  ;) 
 A1 job buck1
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.