New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida Lake Walleye?  (Read 8712 times)

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
Oneida Lake Walleye?
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I'm planning on driving down to Oneida shortly here and am looking for some advice. First I would like to know your preferred line. I have some 8lb Fireline micro ice and am wondering if I can run that without a leader and be fine or if it will end up limiting the amount of strikes? Second I'm wondering the baits. I've heard jiggin raps, slender spoons and Swedish pimples but I'm lost on what sizes and colors. Last do you guys like to relate to basin or structure like shoals? I've got a gps so finding both is easy. I'm only 16 so I'm limited on how often I can make the longer travels for fishing so I always try to make the most of them. Any advice is appreciated fellas. Thanks

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Oneida Lake Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:09 PM »
head over to the Oneida threads and do some reading. those guys have some very detailed and great information. go into the old reports and conditions from last season too.

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I am no expert but you will see where people are fishing, using GPS maps and finding structure and deep holes will work, jigging raps are always good, some put buckeye heads on the treble, some use fathead heads and many don't use bait at all...there are perch and other fish so many jigs work as well...I always use 4 lb test for perch, crappie and on Oneida...good luck and be safe

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I've watched those threads forever but I'm looking for a little extra info. So based on your experience the Fireline would be a bad idea even though it has the 3lb diameter and the crystal color? Does anyone run straight Fireline if so what strength? Looks like I'm going shopping regardless  ;D

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:34 PM »
stren mega thin clear    6 # tip  your lures with a buck eye head  keep bringing the mark up and hold if it wont stike open your bail and let it drop to the bottom and start over again  dont go with out a flasher just wasting your time
ml

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:53 PM »

All I run is jigging raps, left my spoon box at home last 4 trips. 6lb clear mono, but one rod has 4lb power pro braid for deeper water.  Million ways too skin a cat, but for hot fish, perch included, hard to beat a rap.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:00 PM »
stren mega thin clear    6 # tip  your lures with a buck eye head  keep bringing the mark up and hold if it wont stike open your bail and let it drop to the bottom and start over again  dont go with out a flasher just wasting your time

Buddy of mines dad still refuses to use a flasher, hes old school, hes gotton the first 3 on the ice 3 straight trips ahead of everyone in his group.  pretty cool stuff.  hes dialed in at first light.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:07 PM »

All I run is jigging raps, left my spoon box at home last 4 trips. 6lb clear mono, but one rod has 4lb power pro braid for deeper water.  Million ways too skin a cat, but for hot fish, perch included, hard to beat a rap.

Snagger is right on the mark in regards to jigging raps.
My go-to is a 7 cm in Glow color (mainly white with a tad of chartreuse on the head).
Add a perch eye to treble hook (or minnow head).
Only complaint with this lure is occasionally you'll bump a fish off at the hole due to the hooks on the ends.

PerchEyes

The tug is the drug.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:12 PM »
  Buddy of mines dad still refuses to use a flasher, hes old school, hes gotton the first 3 on the ice 3 straight trips ahead of everyone in his group.  pretty cool stuff.  hes dialed in at first light.

For the last couple years, I have had more success (and fun) by reducing my use of a flasher.
I'll leave on till I start marking then pull the transducer up and turn it off.
Allows me to concentrate on jigging technique and detecting a light bite.
Try it next time!
The tug is the drug.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:29 PM »
I've never fished Onieda, but when I get fish on my flasher sniffing my lure I look at my rod tip....

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:42 AM »
I've never fished Onieda, but when I get fish on my flasher sniffing my lure I look at my rod tip....

It also works the other way...learn to read the flasher when they are hitting....lot of times when the bite is lite and they dont move ur rod tip you can "see" the hit on the flasher.

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:13 AM »
Alright thanks for the advice guys looks like I've gotta get some stuff and then find my way down there. Once again thanks for all the help!

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:18 AM »
im always willing to help any one that wants to learn and good luck to ya when you go
ml

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:20 AM »
This is why this site and the guys on the ice rock, some guys are tight lipped which I can understand at times but when you have great fishing why not enjoy it and help others enjoy it with you.  Good stuff guys!
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:45 AM »
I use 4lb. fireline crystal for eyes and #5 jigging raps. I feel like I get a better hookset with braid and you can really feel the bites. If you are fishing in a shanty braid is great but if it is cold and you are outside it can be a pain because it will ice up.

I always fish some type of structure for walleyes. The base of drop offs are generally good. Sometimes the middle of the drop is good and at dawn/dusk the top of the drop off can be good. Oneida has tons of great structure. I look for subtle changes in the structure like points or hooks, steeper drops etc. Even if it is only a drop of a few feet it can be good.

Good luck!

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:19 PM »
I tried the Power Pro Ice Tech braid this year. It's not supposed to freeze up and so far it hasn't, even up to Black Lake in -4 temps. It's pricey but I'm pretty impressed with the performance.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:20 PM »
I fished Oneida for the 1st time. Started w/ jigging raps and a moonshine  tipped w/ buckeye head, 4 # fluoro on  lightweight rod. I kept losing the bigger fish and what would have been my 1st Burbot at the hole...  Downsized  to teardrops w/  buckeye head and managed a few keepers.     I was surprised at how subtle the bite was. Iced 40 or so eyes, most were between 12 and 14 inches.

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I fished Oneida for the 1st time. Started w/ jigging raps and a moonshine  tipped w/ buckeye head, 4 # fluoro on  lightweight rod. I kept losing the bigger fish and what would have been my 1st Burbot at the hole...  Downsized  to teardrops w/  buckeye head and managed a few keepers.     I was surprised at how subtle the bite was. Iced 40 or so eyes, most were between 12 and 14 inches.

bigger bait=bigger fish....I always run braid..wayyy better hook sets..

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I find with the heavier baits, raps, rattle spoons, etc., you absolutely need a heavier rod. At least a medium action. If not when the fish gives those headshakes on the way up that heavy bait swinging just rips the hooks out of his lips.

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I find with the heavier baits, raps, rattle spoons, etc., you absolutely need a heavier rod. At least a medium action. If not when the fish gives those headshakes on the way up that heavy bait swinging just rips the hooks out of his lips.

x2...thats the only way i roll.. 8lb ice braid, 32'' medium heavy rod.. I also cut off the front hook on the raps..when i hook up 9/10 fish get landed.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I disagree with cutting the hooks off, did that too a few of my raps 8-9 yrs ago, my numbers went way down, 70% of my eyes are hooked on that single hook on the front, perch included.  I've always replaced the trebs that come on it with some of my own..  26 inch medium light rods for me....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:21 PM »
I use fireline original 4# with a 6# trans optic leaded about 2 ft just to absorb the shock of the hook set  and a tiny barrel swivel and I use fast snaps for quick changes I carry 4 rods 3 for jigging and a dead stick , with a med rod , I have used the ice line still freezes like a bear if out side , in a shack it's all fine , raps , pimples , cast master, and Scandinavian  to name a few , and I don't cut off the front or back hook off my raps or the other horizontal jigs i use

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I disagree with cutting the hooks off, did that too a few of my raps 8-9 yrs ago, my numbers went way down, 70% of my eyes are hooked on that single hook on the front, perch included.  I've always replaced the trebs that come on it with some of my own..  26 inch medium light rods for me....
    those hooks are on there for a reason and  i made my own pole very soft tip with a bad  a.. back bone for a good hook set those eyes  have hard gums
ml

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:27 PM »

that front hook catches the ice, most my fish are hooked on the treble,, too each their own tho..tight lines

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:32 PM »
  Those moonshines have no front hook, used one last week, missed like 7-8 bites in a row then dumped 2 fish on the way up, snow was deep, draggin was tough, those bites weren't coming along that fast then.... cut it off let it sink too the bottom of the lake, put a #3 rap on, back in business, just got too guide them into the hole, yes some get caught on the hole and come off, but atleast I got too fight them too the hole.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:36 PM »

I got 2 rods with 6lb gamma ultra clear, these rods are for water under say 24 fow, as I get deeper say 26-30 I use 4lb mono, also gamma ultra clear, after 30 fow, comes the 4lb braid....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:47 PM »

I just bought at the end of last year a bulk spool of fire line 4 , and a 300 yard spool of 6 if I go for the big eyes in Can ;D

Offline mjw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I use 20lb power pro with a six pound fluoro leader haha its the only braid that I had laying around but It works! When you come down make sure to stop at apps they will set you up with what to use and where to go

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I use 20lb power pro with a six pound fluoro leader haha its the only braid that I had laying around but It works! When you come down make sure to stop at apps they will set you up with what to use and where to go
  you can debone and boil coming up so fast LOL

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Slabstomper you are getting advice from three of the best eye fisherman on that lake...if Snag, FnR and Reeleyz give you advice it will work...good luck out there!

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.