New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Looking for a good fish Taxidermist  (Read 7244 times)

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for a good fish Taxidermist
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm looking into taxidermists to bring my lake trout to to get it mounted.  I haven't had anything mounted in the past so I was wondering if any one has any one that they use and recommend.  I live up in Northern NY but would be interested in what everyone has to say.  Links to the taxidermists site if they have one and pictures of your fish that you have gotten mounted by them would be greatly appreciated if possible.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for a good fish Taxidermist
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:20 PM »
adirondak wildlife studio. its in pine lake ny. has a web site. my buddy just got back a 36" laker and it cost him $600 on driftwood, looks sweet though

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:38 PM »
I checked his site the other day but was kinda bummed that there wasn't a whole lot of pictures of fish that he's done.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »
greg gillet in lansboro Mass. near pittsfield, not that far away, he is VERY, VERY GOOD, not cheap, but fair in price. He has done all our fish and most all deer heads.should say all since we had him do one, we went to no one else since, he is good in all he does.

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Charles Rawson in Dexter, NY.  He did my big brown and it is awesome.  He does a lot of large fish, King Salmon, Trout and Steelhead.  If you go natural instead of fiberglass it is even better.  But he does great work and he charges $10 per inch for natural and $14 for fiberglass.  Give him a call and tell him Curtiss referred you.  He may give you a discount!  315-639-3632.
Fish On!

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:39 PM »
louie spina, rome taxidermy...veryy good work, my dad has 2 walleyes from him and a big salmon, i got my 28 inch walleye mounted there and love it, also dad has 2 deer heads from there..look awsome

Offline sticknmove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Jeff Fletcher in Darien, NY has done all my mounts. I wouldnt go to anyone else.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:26 AM »
Carl Brainard in Warrensburg...great work fair prices and many years under his belt.

Offline wlaker2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:38 AM »
David Fish in Cooper plains, NY. I have my fish done there. He does very good work, very natural paint jobs good prices.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:59 AM »
http://www.fishwishco.com/

Maggie Rathje in Pulaksi , NY ..   IM me if you have questions.  Her website speaks for itself..

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Carl Brainard in Warrensburg has done some mounts for me and my fishing partner and he does a nice job. He gets alot of fish from Lake George so I'm sure this won't be his first rodeo with a big laker.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Joe (Grecco) Taxidermy
 109 2nd Ave
Albany, NY 12202 Map

* (518) 465-5761

They have some of his mounts in "The Crossroads" off exit 25 of the northway. I saw some of his stuff at the county fair in Saratoga, nice work.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I use Bob Seils Taxidermy in Salt Point, NY.  He does the mounts for Jeff at Fish307 so you can check them out when you're there.  Some of the lakers are reproduction mounts and look like they are the real thing.  He's doing a big laker for me that my daughter caught last summer.  You can drop the fish off at Fish307 and they can handle it there for you.  Here's the web site:

http://www.seilstaxidermy.com/

Telephone No. 845-266-8200

Good luck with your fish and again, congratulations on that slammer!

Mike

Offline chazmatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • go fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:10 AM »
bob seils does awesome work. best in my area, done my friends striper mnt,looks like it just came out of water!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:02 AM »
David Fish in Cooper plains, NY. I have my fish done there. He does very good work, very natural paint jobs good prices.

dave has done many fish for me also ,he has done sunfish to skamania ,I'm very pleased

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Dave has done many fish for me also ,he has done sunfish to skamania ,I'm very pleased
Dave has done many fish for my clients i take fishing they all r very pleased with his work
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline Hardwater_RexIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Grew up in Warrensburg.  Carl Brainard is def a great taxidermist with reasonable prices.

Rex

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Joe (Grecco) Taxidermy
 109 2nd Ave
Albany, NY 12202 Map

* (518) 465-5761

They have some of his mounts in "The Crossroads" off exit 25 of the northway. I saw some of his stuff at the county fair in Saratoga, nice work.

got my laker done by him and am very very pleased
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I don't think I would kill a big fish to get it mounted anymore. When I was younger I actually ate two lakers 15 and 17lbs out of LG, bothers me now to think about it. We don't keep them over 27-28" now, let them keep growing for another day. I'll stick with a reproduction if I break 20lbs, get a bunch of good pics for reference and thorough measurements for recreation. I've actually grown to like watching big fish swim away.

Offline icyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICEFISHING FANATIC!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Fabulous Fins is # 1 they do an awesome job!  Look them up
"A Good Day's Weather Is A Bad Day Fishing....Now Who Says A Girl Doesn't Know What They're Talkin' 'Bout?!?"

Offline mgmtguy928

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I would recommend Rome Taxidermy also. Louie did a great job on my 28" largemouth a couple of years back. Excellent work at a reasonable price.

Offline gaffer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Bills taxedermy shop in canada lake, just got a sweet northern and a bass done there. he works out of his log cabin and you wont find anyone better.  1315 State Highway 10, caroga Lake..835-6621.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Joe Durham is the best taxidermist in the date, located in the fine area
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I don't think I would kill a big fish to get it mounted anymore. When I was younger I actually ate two lakers 15 and 17lbs out of LG, bothers me now to think about it. We don't keep them over 27-28" now, let them keep growing for another day. I'll stick with a reproduction if I break 20lbs, get a bunch of good pics for reference and thorough measurements for recreation. I've actually grown to like watching big fish swim away.

Cool, and who do use for you reproduction work?

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:47 PM »
here are some mounts by joe durham of fine, ny.
small mouth 7.5lbs after 3 days of being kept alive on a stringer

13lb brown

30lb salmon as well as 9lb brown
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:53 AM »

Cool, and who do use for you reproduction work?

I haven't yet, I've seen them done by several different people and I think they actually look better that the real thing. I would use Joe Grecco if I get lucky enough to need one. I won't spend the money until we break the 20lb mark on a LG laker. Still thinking about getting one of my 44" 22lb pike, but I didn't get great pics or girth measurments.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.