New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Take a kid fishing  (Read 6668 times)

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Take a kid fishing
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Just thought I would get this out there.  Maybe we could post pics of the kids we bundle up and get out on the ice with us.  I hope whenever you guys and ladies get the chance you're taking a kid fishing to keep this great sport alive.  Even the young ladies out there should be going with their fathers, mothers, and brothers.  Remember that post a while back about "better halves" Well here is your chance to teach your little ladies about fishing and the outdoors and build that foundation for them.  Who will if you don't?  If you bring a friend, encourage them to bring their kids.  Take you're neice, nephew, stepkids.  Make it fun.  Let them set the up and jig and bait the hook themselves.  make sure to bring extra gloves and extra socks and a plastic bag as kids love putting their foot in the hole. And most important let them bring their first fish in and take pics to post on here.                          Thanks for reading and have fun posting.  :icefish:

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Take a kid fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Take a kid fishing but make it open water. We need a few less people on the ice   ::)

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Kappy must be the youngest kid that got left out.  I guess either you were never introduced to ice fishing as a kid with my father or you are to selfish and want to ice to yourself.  Pity.  And probably no kids too.  Lets leave this space for those who really want to put the kids in the spotlight eh?
-Doeindesguise

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I take my nephew out both open & ice fishing a couple times every year. I do not have any kids (nor want any LOL) and his dad is not into fishing. I usually make it all about him, yesterday i gave him the flasher  ;)

It was fun !!!

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:47 PM »
yesterday i gave him the flasher  ;)

Kudos to you Brian, that is the ULTIMATE ice fishing sacrafice (even though its only a marcum  ;)) LOL

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Kudos to you Brian, that is the ULTIMATE ice fishing sacrafice (even though its only a marcum  ) LOL

Well it was only 2-3 hours LOL  ;D ... and my Marcum works just fine in regular lakes  ;)

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:09 PM »
My fishing buddies this weekend.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:31 PM »
This past friday I took My buddies son out ice fishing, He's 15 and had never walked on ice, let alone ice fished. He had a blast, caught a few fish and learned what the term 'whiteout' means when you are 3/4 of a mile out on chaumont bay. I sent the pics of our adventure to his dad who is Deployed in Iraq right now on his 4th tour of duty, He told me he cried like a little kid when he got them. Those guys sure do sacrifice alot to protect our freedoms... thanks you to all you armed services folks out there.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Kappy must be the youngest kid that got left out.  I guess either you were never introduced to ice fishing as a kid with my father or you are to selfish and want to ice to yourself.  Pity.  And probably no kids too.  Lets leave this space for those who really want to put the kids in the spotlight eh?
-Doeindesguise

Did you not notice the little face at the end of that sentence.. I do have awesome kids that I take fishing and i started young.. Relax pal and take a joke  Disregard the pal part, I just looked at your profile

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:20 PM »
well he's 17..but here was johnnys first ever flag.....the folks that gave us permission..couldn't believe their son caught that with us.... ;D

Offline flag runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Gotta do my first post somewhere, this seemed like a good spot.

Took my daughter fishing when she was 4, still taking her fishing at 27, now with her husband.  Just introduced them to ice fishing this year.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Gotta do my first post somewhere, this seemed like a good spot.

Took my daughter fishing when she was 4, still taking her fishing at 27, now with her husband.  Just introduced them to ice fishing this year.

Welcome to the shanty!!

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Last Year:

This year:

"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Hando, your girls are adorable!

My Grandson Colin's first fish ;D

I'd love to take him ice fishing, but, he lives in Las Vegas with his mom and dad. In a couple of years I'll be able to get him on a plane by himself to go ice fishing with Grandpa.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Nice pics Hando.  My fishin buddies are my girls as well.  Nice job!!

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Teaching the way of the Vex early... with success.

👮👮👮

Offline Striper716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:51 PM »
My daughter is now hooked also.Age 12 .She loves bassinbrians flasher also. :tipup:She is our flag chaser....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:17 PM »
This is my girlfriend's son-11 yrs old.  He went with me one time last year and we caught 1 fish the whole day.  This year is a different story--he chases flags like a pro and is hooked!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Here are a few from last year and one this year (kid needs a hair cut) !!!

My daughter is now hooked also.Age 12 .She loves bassinbrians flasher also. :tipup:She is our flag chaser

Where's the pics  ... i know we took some a few weeks ago ???

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:57 PM »
I love the pics !!!  Awesome thread too. I love bringing my kids(now 16 & 13) and there friends w/ me. Anytime they ask, I clear it w/ the parents and away we go. I know alot of guys don't care much for the cameras, but you know what ? My aqua-view has kept my boys occupied (esp when they were younger) and they had fun and stayed out there w/ me. Bought a clam a few years ago, same thing. Keeps them warm and busy, I don't think I've spent more than an hour in the thing. Some of my buddies think I'm nuts (all that money,yak,yak,yak) I could care a less. They're out there w/ me and that's what counts to me.
 :clap:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:27 AM »
How can anyone put a price on those smiles???????

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:02 AM »
My son has been spoiled after catching stripers.......

My daughter likes both

And her friend's first ever fish through the ice

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Glad to see this thread is doing so well.  I have to post some pics, I just need to downsize them so they fit.
-Doeindesguise

Offline WOODY PIKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:46 PM »
just priceless...great photos.... :thumbsup:

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2009, 02:15 PM »
woodypikeman - that one with the kid looking down the bass' throught is priceless  ;D

I've gotta figure out how to downsize pics to post, but my avitar is my 4 yr-old with his first perch through the ice and both kids love to go (until the snacks run out....) :D

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I have a 5 yr old daughter and a 7 year old son who come with me when it is one of those warmer 40 or so degree days they love it . I just keep it in my head it is going to be a bit shorter of a trip.  My 7 year old likes my flasher but I still need it so he'll have to wait till next year

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Wow! What a great thread. I'm takin my daughter this weekend to  Collins. She's 3 and loves rod n reel and has been beggin me to go ice fishing. It's just been so cold. This weekend looks great!!! I can't wait to post some pics.Beautiful pics guys. This is what it's all about !!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:16 PM »
hot chocolate and cookies will guarantee more fishing time ;)    keep them warm and don't go trophy hunting they would rather 20-30 small bluegills  over maybe 1 huge fish. My son fishes more than his sister and is learning fast. I will set up the shanty and then cut holes until I find some cooperative fish, move the shanty over productive holes and let him at it while I cut more holes to find more or bigger fish, well now instead of sitting in the shanty he will fish holes I cut earlier and sometimes find the new hot hole for us . One proud dad here. Watched him catch fish sitting next to DAD who couldn't buy a hit. I want my kids to enjoy the outdoors and have fun with dad and icefishing is a great time for both  of these.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Took my son and his friends this weekend, good time.  Snacks and other parents/friends to help are a must when you bring kids fishing.  Page 3:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=90196.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.