Author Topic: Morino wool socks  (Read 5708 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Morino wool socks
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Was at Costco recently and saw that they had their Kirkland brand of Outdoor Trail socks (72% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 1% Spandex) for $19.99 for 6 pairs.
Yep, I love these Costco ones.  Only thing I wear all winter long, ice fishing or not.  They go on sale occassionally, a couple weeks ago they were $14.99.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I also try to find 80% or better Marino wool before I buy. As long as you have a high enough percentage of wool I have not noticed much difference. The biggest thing by Far is never ever ever wear cotton socks.!!!!

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I always liked Merino wool socks and Smart Wool was a favorite, worn with a polypro liner sock. Until.....a new sock entered my life. Alpaca wool socks, and yes I saw them mentioned above. Allow me to reiterate, these are my new favorite. I buy mine from Frostfarm.net and I get the Outdoorsman Heavy weight at $22.00 per pair. I have a size 11 foot and I get extra large. They are upper calf height and easy to put on and stay in place.

Frost Farms offers a heavier version at $25.00/pair but I have not needed to go heavier yet. 11 trips this Winter thus far with warm dry feet in my old Cabela's Predator Extremes and a poly pro liner sock.

My wife wears a size 8 shoe and she ordered the Medium and loves her's too.

Duke

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I always liked Merino wool socks and Smart Wool was a favorite, worn with a polypro liner sock. Until.....a new sock entered my life. Alpaca wool socks, and yes I saw them mentioned above. Allow me to reiterate, these are my new favorite. I buy mine from Frostfarm.net and I get the Outdoorsman Heavy weight at $22.00 per pair. I have a size 11 foot and I get extra large. They are upper calf height and easy to put on and stay in place.

Frost Farms offers a heavier version at $25.00/pair but I have not needed to go heavier yet. 11 trips this Winter thus far with warm dry feet in my old Cabela's Predator Extremes and a poly pro liner sock.

Duke
I keep hearing everyone rave about alpaca socks. I may just have to give them a try.  I see they have fingerless gloves too.  I love my wool ones, but may have to give these a try.  Thanks!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:51 AM »
Merino wool all day long. I get a new bag every year at Costco for normal usage around the house and at work. when it really matters I spend the bucks and get the farm to feet wool socks with a  lifetime warranty.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Merino wool all day long. I get a new bag every year at Costco for normal usage around the house and at work. when it really matters I spend the bucks and get the farm to feet wool socks with a  lifetime warranty.
Got a pair of those Farm to Feet ones last year, definitely heavy duty.  I didn't know they had a lifetime warranty, good to know!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:59 AM »
love mine wear outside all the time in the winter

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2020, 12:33 PM »

Duke

thanks for the link to Frostfarm, I've been looking for a second pair in XL and just ordered from them.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2020, 12:57 PM »

Duke

What do you use for liner socks?

Yep, I love these Costco ones.  Only thing I wear all winter long, ice fishing or not.  They go on sale occassionally, a couple weeks ago they were $14.99.

Pulled the trigger on a 6 pack at Costco today.  $14.99
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:53 PM »
When shopping for the alpaca socks you have to pay close attention to the percentage of alpaca in the yarn . I prefer 70% and up like the heavyweight outdoorsman socks 75% from purelyalpaca.com. There is also one called the extreme alpaca sock 70-74% from different alpaca farms that should be worth a look. Just an FYI, if it has the word adventure, hiking, survival, everest, Alaska or super-warm in it you might should check around to see if it's really a midweight sock or a sock with a low percentage of alpaca in it.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moreno wool socks
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I wear medium weight Wigwam merino wool socks in my LaCrosse Ice Men boots. I rarely if ever wear a polypropylene sock underneath. If it's real cold I will use Toe Warmers.

IMO this seems like some bassackwards thinking.  Why would you use toe warmers which are disposable and cost a few bucks when you could buy two paris of poly sock liners and wear them for years to come?  Theres really no down side to the sock liners.  They help wick away moisture and don't provide any additional bulk.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:59 PM »
i have found that one of the biggest problems keeping feet warm is to NOT use much heat in vehicle .
this causes feet to sweat and then your feet get cold.
i spray under arm antipersperant in between my toes which helps alot to keep from sweatting
and i only have to wear a regular cotton sock with a good pair of insulated much boots and im good for the day on the ice

Or just put your boots on when you get there
westernmas on the finder

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:16 PM »
"They help wick away moisture and don't provide any additional bulk". Agree. They serve an important part in your footwear system when standing on a block of ice.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:45 PM »
I wonder how much a pair of heavy weight Qiviut wool socks would be?   :unsure:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:11 PM »
I wonder how much a pair of heavy weight Qiviut wool socks would be?   :unsure:

Googled to find out what Qiviut is... Not cheap lol... $275 a pair, made to order.
https://www.qiveut.com/products/hand-knit-qiviut-socks-made-in-alaska-by-qiveut-designs?variant=12538439172
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:05 PM »
Check out duckworth wool

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2020, 05:19 AM »
Check out duckworth wool

A fool born every minute they say  :D

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Googled to find out what Qiviut is... Not cheap lol... $275 a pair, made to order.
https://www.qiveut.com/products/hand-knit-qiviut-socks-made-in-alaska-by-qiveut-designs?variant=12538439172

We stopped in that store when we were in Anchorage.  Interesting stuff, but nothing I would have bought for myself.  There were a few nice scarfs and mittens for the ladies, but otherwise sort of a letdown. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Is there a point where there is too much wool?

If you want them to be machine washable and dryable there can be too much wool. If you don't mind hand washing your socks and laying them flat to dry 100% wool is fine.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2021, 01:14 PM »
I use the merino wool socks, even lightweight ones in the fall when elk hunting.  They breathe naturally, similar to all the synthetic stuff made today.  I also use merino wool base layer; long sleeve shirt and long underwear.   Minus 33 is the company (Amazon) I use for the base layer.  I have several brands of socks, the lightweight ones for fall hunting are Woolrich.

My wife would be very suspicious if I sprayed antiperspirant on my feet!!!  She would doubt I was going fishing.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2021, 04:15 PM »
Esox nailed it. DarnTough. Best socks ive ever owned.

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Or just put your boots on when you get there
Key!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:28 AM »
been using the heavy balstons for years. much cheaper than other brands. wear the heavys in winter, med. in summer. they are just as good to keep your feet cool and dry in the summer. try it!

Offline ReelADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Darn Tough and Kenetrek make great socks. Both very comfortable and warm. I wear both (not at once. Lol)

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than hot fishing on a cold day!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:21 AM »
IceBreaker Merino wool hiking socks with Baffin Titan or Hunter boots.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:17 PM »
Vote for Darn Tough
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Alpaca here, also Carharrt Arctic wool have also been excellent.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Merino wool is great, both as a base layer underneath clothes and for socks.  It took me years to figure out that good, mostly natural stuff keeps me warm and doesn't stink and is especially criticial in the weeks spent camping and hunting in the woods during deer bow
season. 

Provided that one doesn’t run the thermal underwear through the washer and dryer, which constantly reduces the insulating properties, it lasts a long time and insulates well.  Even when worn for weeks at a time, good merino wool doesn't stink and need not be washed.  Hanging it to air out works, and very minimal hand washing and non-dryer drying is ideal.  Hand washing in a bucket once after deer season seems to work, and keeping everything away from the washer and dryer helps to keep everything from thinning out and affecting the insulating properties.

One common mistake with footwear and socks is that people tend to pack their feet into their boots.  For some reason, being able to get a second pair of socks on is important to too many people, even if it doesn't make sense.  In fact, it just makes things worse since boots need to have a little space inside in order so insulate properly.  (It's the same thing that happens when installation is tightly packed into a wall- It ruins everything and makes things colder.)

If boots are snug and tight-fitting, even with the most expensive of socks, feet will be cold regardless of the socks and boots.  Boots need to fit properly.  With socks on, boots need to have a little room in them.  Otherwise, they’ll be cold.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Pretty good amount of scratch for socks. I know the guy, and he has had raised Alpaca for over the last 30 years. They are nice socks.
http://www.msbhavenalpacas.com/store/vendorItemCategories.aspx?vendor=1598&category=118&title=socks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.