Author Topic: Morino wool socks  (Read 5719 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Morino wool socks
« on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:06 PM »
I picked up a set of Muck woody sports on Black Friday for $80.  I am a huge fan of the weight, but I am going to need some warmer socks I think.  I have a couple pairs on the clam Moreno wool socks, but curious what others use.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Moreno wool socks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:08 PM »
I use the Merino wool socks, too. Have for 30+ years. No complaints here.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:09 PM »
I use the Merino wool socks, too. Have for 30+ years. No complaints here.

Any specific brands?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:10 PM »
add polypropylene sock liners too.  mucks can make your feet sweat since they don't breath much.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:16 PM »
I bought a pair of alpaca socks at a winter fishing show a few years ago.  Always my first choice when ice fishing, very thick and very soft and very, very warm.  They have held up real well too. 

The Merino socks are good too, but get a good brand like Darn Tough or Smartwool.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:20 PM »
add polypropylene sock liners too.  mucks can make your feet sweat since they don't breath much.

Like these?

Thermolite Liner Socks - XL/2XL (2 Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2VC7LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_sM76FbSN888FR

Offline Igloolou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Merino wool for me as well.

I've been using these for many years and they have worked well for me.  I have 6 pair that I rotate thru.  There getting harder to find in stock since Bass Pro bought Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ultimate-13-heavyweight-crew-wool-socks-for-men

I haven't tried the Red Head brand yet but they seem similar in weight and have a little more merino wool.  I was checking them out yesterday when I was at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-ultimate-wool-heavyweight-socks-for-men
"Don't mind the cracking, it's only getting thicker"!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Carhart or Browning.  Wool socks...wool blend are okay too. ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Any specific brands?

I think they were Wigwam, found 'em at Fleet Farm. Made really well and in the USA, too.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:52 PM »
I wear medium weight Wigwam merino wool socks in my LaCrosse Ice Men boots. I rarely if ever wear a polypropylene sock underneath. If it's real cold I will use Toe Warmers.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
westernmas on the finder

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Scheels has a house branded sock that's a pretty good bang for buck merino. Farm to Feet makes some really nice merinos as well.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Scheels has a house branded sock that's a pretty good bang for buck merino. Farm to Feet makes some really nice merinos as well.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-merino-socks-2-pack/53146-2-72335.html

These?  And half the price of Clams

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:21 PM »

X2

And not quit as heavy as some but they wear like iron and are warm.
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-men's-wool-crew-sock%2C-6-pair.product.100534948.html

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:28 PM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-merino-socks-2-pack/53146-2-72335.html

Yes, I wear those all winter at work, great socks for when not too cold, say 10 and warmer. The 40% blend is a good compromise between warm and longevity.

For when it's really cold I have these... Pricey but the best socks I've had, though they'll add a boot size to your feet. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/farm-to-feet-men039s-denali-wool-socks?a=2182639
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:30 PM »

But, they're only 40% Merino wool....look at the wool percentage before ya buy, guys.

I looked at some of mine, and these were a couple I got last year for regular outside wear. 70% wool....these guys are really comfy for evertyday outside work. I love mine.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1071467-realtree-2-pack-mens-full-cushion-merino-wool-socks.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N2tXNnMTilylw5bLUhiZsIOwwpdUVs8hqGJ-o7KrMHW-XK9bSw0ZvRoCczkQAvD_BwE

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:27 PM »
I use Wigwam Heavy Wool socks.
<===Lefty===

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:31 PM »
Profeet by Wilson Brown are the Merino wool socks I use. I’ve tried other brands but they didn’t hold up the way these do. I’m a mail carrier so I’m putting on 15+ miles of walking every day. I wear them in the summer and winter because they are so darn comfortable. I have three pairs of them and I’ve had those three pairs for about 4 years. They are not showing any wear at all. A pair of the Clam merino wool socks blew the seams out after about 5 miles of walking and they are nowhere near as warm as the Profeet socks are.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Is there a point where there is too much wool?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:48 PM »

Could be.    :roflmao:

I suppose. Ya do want some stretchy stuff and breathability fabric mixed in to keep yer feet dry..

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:55 PM »

Kind of... you need a little bit (5-10%) of spandex for them to stay up un their own.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Right here...

https://darntough.com/

If you're borderline size go smaller vs bigger. I'm 10.5 US shoulda gone down instead of up.

Still great, great socks.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:58 PM »
i have found that one of the biggest problems keeping feet warm is to NOT use much heat in vehicle .
this causes feet to sweat and then your feet get cold.
i spray under arm antipersperant in between my toes which helps alot to keep from sweatting
and i only have to wear a regular cotton sock with a good pair of insulated much boots and im good for the day on the ice

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 PM »
Merino wool for me as well.

I've been using these for many years and they have worked well for me.  I have 6 pair that I rotate thru.  There getting harder to find in stock since Bass Pro bought Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ultimate-13-heavyweight-crew-wool-socks-for-men

I haven't tried the Red Head brand yet but they seem similar in weight and have a little more merino wool.  I was checking them out yesterday when I was at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-ultimate-wool-heavyweight-socks-for-men

I have pairs of both and they are awesome sox.
Also run poly pro liner sox under them.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Morino wool socks
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2020, 11:43 PM »
I wear muck Arctic pros with a wigwam “ice sock” (80% merino) and an ultra light thermal liner (some sort of cloth, Fox River brand I believe). Great combination for myself. If I dress the rest of myself properly nothing on my body gets cold except the top of my thighs because my bibs are too small.

If you’re going for natural wool fibers, wool content is important. Personally, I don’t go for anything under 80%.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:30 AM »
Merino wool socks are only as good as the percentage of wool that is in the blend. I am seeing these socks selling 4X value and many are 40% merino, which is basically worthless IMO.

Merino wool sock (70% minimum) I buy runs $5. a pair. I buy from the Amish store in town and they buy from Peoples I believe. Best socks I have ever owned.

Offline Wilderness Wanderer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:39 AM »
I use spray on antiperspirant when fishing in rubber boots. It cuts down on sweaty feet.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Merino wool comes in different grades. Has to do with thickness of strands. How it applies to the manufacturing process, I don’t know. So I guess all merino wool is not created equal. Buyer beware.

Offline Timmydann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:52 AM »
I wear a pair of realtree morino with my lacrosse alpha burly pro 1600s, no problems yet, just keep the heat low on the way to your spot, sweat is the enamy

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Was at Costco recently and saw that they had their Kirkland brand of Outdoor Trail socks (72% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 1% Spandex) for $19.99 for 6 pairs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.