Author Topic: Laker Baitcaster Reel?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Laker Baitcaster Reel?
« on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I have a Jason Mitchell 36" Mackinaw rod with a Quantum QD310 graphite reel(my bass reel). The reel failed, striped gear, with a nice Laker on! While everyone is here fishing for the Lakers, I need some recommendation for a new reel for next year? This was my first year targeting Lakers, I do like the feeling of the  low profile reels. Any recommendations/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker Baitcaster Reel?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Abu Garcia record 61 plenty of back up line
Carbon drag  15lbs drag to help put the brakes on big Laker runs
I have two 1 on custom rod 1 on J. mitchell.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Looking for a new reel too... I also like the low profile ones, so I got my search narrowed down to this reel. Left handed, 6.5:1 gears, and a Drag Tracking Technology.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ardent_Edge_Tournament_Casting_Reels/descpage-AETCN.html

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I use Abu Garcia C4s in 5601 (left hand retreive) with Power Pro braid and flouro leaders. 
Chris Raymond

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:25 PM »
I did go with a Abu Garcia Pro Max, Fireline and Fluoro leader. I needed something for in the morning!  ;D I'll be researching a new rod reel combo as a backup or primary, depending? Thanks for the input...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Low profile baitcasters don't handle the ice as well as traditional round reels.  Not sure if that is of importance to you or not but just letting you know.  The line guide has a much smaller opening on the low profile reels and that's where I got into trouble with icing up.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2014, 02:38 PM »
 tswoboda, I tried the rig yesterday. The ice build up was an issue on the reel and rod, I thought it was mainly caused by the Fireline? I just flipped the FishTrap, cranked up the heater and the problem was resolved. I do like fishing outside on nice days though, thanks!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I have always used low profile reels for laker fishing and have never had an issue.  I like to use the Quantum PT with high speed retrieve.  Pulls in 28 inches per turn.  Have to get to the fish quick.  Here is a link to the reel. http://www.quantumfishing.com/products/2962/Energy-PT--A.aspx   Mine is a few years older but still works like a champ. 
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Using any braided line and fishing outside in cold temps is going to cause issues with any rod/reel combo whether it's a low profile, round reel, or spinning reel.  I personally will only use braid and do not fish in a shack.  Experience in my personal situation shows spinning reels handle ice up the best (they are open and easy to clear ice from), followed by round reels, and low profile reels are the worst.  After using all three reel types I now stick with spinning reels for my fishing style, but if I fished in a shack to control ice up I would use my Curado 300ej (low profile, 32" per turn and a big power handle).

FWIW, the round reel Chris Raymond mentioned (Abu C4) is relatively cheap, reliable, and pulls 30" per turn.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2014, 02:13 PM »
I use Abu Garcia C4s in 5601 (left hand retreive) with Power Pro braid and flouro leaders.

Chris,, just wondering if a 5000 series is too small for the bay  as far as line capacity
it is one of my Dad's reels and has never seen water

SnoHam13

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Chris,, just wondering if a 5000 series is too small for the bay  as far as line capacity
it is one of my Dad's reels and has never seen water

SnoHam13

SH--Not too small at all.  If anything it might be a smidge too big.  I can't remember line capacity right now but it's 3/4 or a bit better of a 330 yd spool of PowerPro.  I went with that size reel though as it's the smallest size that offers left hand retrieve...which I really prefer with shorter ice rods.  The 4600 and the 5600 (5601 is the left hand retrieve but everything else is the same in comparison to the 5600) both have the same diameter spool but the width of the body is more with the 5600/01 for the increased capacity. 

I have two laker rods and usually switch between the two when depths get deeper than 180' or jigs are greater than 1.5 ozs (I add weight when the current kicks up to help keep in the sonar cone).  Both have 5600/01 sized reels.  If they had a 4601 I probably would have one of those on my shallower rod at least and most likely on the deeper one as well as I tend to stay shallower than 180' anymore if I can help it. 
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.