Author Topic: Leaders on tipups  (Read 4303 times)

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
Leaders on tipups
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Rigged my tipups with 4 to 6 foot leaders of 8lb mono and small hooks. iced a few perch, broke the line on the same tipup 3 times. Now it happened on the same tipup so if it was a walleye it could be a bad section of line but it came from the same spool as the others. also it happened at dusk so it could've been a pike everytime. My question is should I up the test of my leaders? or do you guys break a lot of line?

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
Re: Leaders on tipups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:32 PM »
A friend of mine, got me sold on the "Fireline". We've been using 4lb. test of that stuff for walleyes all season with no break-offs that I could remember. I know, I didn't have any break off. That stuff is very resillient to toothy critters. I caught a 6lb pickeral on it, about a month ago, and I'm still using the same leader that I caught it with, and have have caught many fish with the same leader since that one. Naturally, you will want to check it for knicks after every toothy fish you catch. And I did need to re-tie the hook after that fish was caught. Now, with what I'm saying. Where I fished, we don't encounter huge populations of northern pike in our area. But we've caught a ton of toothy pickeral with that line. If your in an area where you have large populations of northerns. I might consider going bigger. But I wouldn't go higher than 6lb. for walleye. If you were to target the pike, than I would go a bit higher.
One thing you want to ask yourself, is. Did you loose it, setting the hook, or while you were playing the fish? If you lost it as soon as you set the hook. You could be pulling too hard, and the toothy critter slices it like butter from the hard pull. If it wasn't too hard of a hook set, and you lost it after the hookset. Maybe your being a little too aggresive to land your fish? I have always used lighter line for years, and landed a lot of really large fish on it.
All I could say is, maybe try a different line and play them out. And I might add, having a buddy with you when you do get on a large fish thru the ice, it helps alot. Because you have light line. You don't want to pull them with the line straight out of the hole. It's best, to have a buddy reach in and grab the fish, so the line doesn't snap. due to his weight, and/or teeth. With that said, there will be break-offs. But I think I'm sold on the 'fireline'. You, know what. I just remembered, I did have a break-off this year(1). It was on one of my buddy's tip-ups, that he had 6lb. Yozuri hybrid line, as the leader. It was probably a 3lb. pickeral. I lost it, right at the hole, the same day I got the 6lb.'er with my tip-up with the 4lb. Fireline. I might add, just one more thing. A lot of times, break-offs could be due to, bad knots that you've tied onto your tackle. 2 knots that are perhaps the best, I know, is... 1. the improved clinch knot, I've been using this knot for years, it has never let me down. Another very good knot, is the pollomer knot.

Hope this helps you out,...and Good Fishin'...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:08 PM »
 I have always used 8lbs-10lbs fluorocarbon leaders. I have never had my line brake yet. You might want to watch how tight you put your sinkers on. I have herd of people putting the on so tight that they crimp the line and end up loosing fish when the line brakes in that spot. I have been thinking about switching to fireline just because every year I switch my leader line and on 65 tip-ups it takes a lot of time. With the fireline i should be able to keep it on for a few years because it will not weakend from sitting all summer.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I have always used 8lbs-10lbs fluorocarbon leaders. I have never had my line brake yet. You might want to watch how tight you put your sinkers on. I have herd of people putting the on so tight that they crimp the line and end up loosing fish when the line brakes in that spot. I have been thinking about switching to fireline just because every year I switch my leader line and on 65 tip-ups it takes a lot of time. With the fireline i should be able to keep it on for a few years because it will not weakend from sitting all summer.
Me, and my buddies have been very satisfied with the fireline. As far as, what pound test to use? It's, definitely the least in your mind that your comfortable with. You just got to fight them out.

Good fishin' to you guys,...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Me, and my buddies have been very satisfied with the fireline. As far as, what pound test to use? It's, definitely the least in your mind that your comfortable with. You just got to fight them out.

Good fishin' to you guys,...SalmonRebel. :tipup:
Do you use the white fireline or the traditional one?
Also do you use the regular or ice?

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Do you use the white fireline or the traditional one?
Also do you use the regular or ice?
I believe it is the traditional ice. I'll double check it. I actually used some of my buddy's this year. This was our first year using it. We fish together all the time. And I was going to buy some line for my tip-ups. He told me to just go ahead and use some of his, since he already had it. We are definitely going to stick with it. I'm not saying you won't have any break-offs, but I'm sold on it. As soon as I get the definite info, on exactly what one we are using, I will let you know.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:25 PM »
MRwalleye, It is regular traditional 4lb. test clear, that we've been using.

I pulled three 22-26 inch, 4.5-5.5lb. pickerals out of the ice this morning with it, here in PA.

The largest(5.5lb) got entangled on a branch, and still managed to land it!

I think I'll be using this stuff next year. :)

Well, our season's coming to an end, here in NEPA, So good luck,...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:53 PM »
MRwalleye, It is regular traditional 4lb. test clear, that we've been using.

I pulled three 22-26 inch, 4.5-5.5lb. pickerals out of the ice this morning with it, here in PA.

The largest(5.5lb) got entangled on a branch, and still managed to land it!

I think I'll be using this stuff next year. :)

Well, our season's coming to an end, here in NEPA, So good luck,...SalmonRebel. :tipup:
Thanks for the info. I bought some lastnight. Going to try some this weekend.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the info. I bought some lastnight. Going to try some this weekend.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Like I've said before. We're definitely sold on it.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2009, 04:14 PM »
 I used 3lb.- 4lb. trilene micro ice mono for 27 trips on Oneida lake for walleye and perch. Never broke my line once the whole season. Used it for jigging,dead sticks,bobber rods, and tip ups. It's really good line! I'll take that back, my last day on the ice, I had to break off a 15lb. channel cat, couldn't get his head thru the hole! Another strong line is maxima ultra green,but coils in real cold weather(have to stretch it before each trip)
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2009, 04:52 PM »
I used 3lb.- 4lb. trilene micro ice mono for 27 trips on Oneida lake for walleye and perch. Never broke my line once the whole season. Used it for jigging,dead sticks,bobber rods, and tip ups. It's really good line! I'll take that back, my last day on the ice, I had to break off a 15lb. channel cat, couldn't get his head thru the hole! Another strong line is maxima ultra green,but coils in real cold weather(have to stretch it before each trip)
yes love the micro ice lineuse it for every type of ice fishing except pike and while walleye fishing i did ice a few pike the key is finesse

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:23 PM »
That's the word "finesse" Along as you don't get excited and keep them from shaking there heads at that hole your all good.Walleyes that is, don't pike fish much! Hey MEAL, their's a Stony Creek over here too!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Well it just so happens that last year I was fishing a spot for Pike and was using a wire leader and I caught 5 Walleye that day...  Just makes me wonder sometimes...

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I have 30lb seguar Florocarbon leaders on all my tip ups.  Anywhere you find walleye you will find northerns in this part of the country.  This leader material seems to be fairly invisible and holds up very well to all types of fish.
l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.