Author Topic: Curious  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Curious
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:41 AM »
So I need some help, I have never really targeted crappie through the ice. I go after them in my kayak during the summer all the time. Will they be in the same areas I would fish for them from the yak or will I have to find winter feeding grounds for them??? Thanks for the help in advance.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:48 AM »
It depends on the body of water you are fishing.  If there are any basins start there.  They will usually be suspended.  They won’t go deeper than 40ft though.  If there are no basins look for remaining weed edges adjacent to the deepest part of the pond or lake
I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Thanks for the advise
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:28 PM »
also look around weed edges. i find good crappies patrolling green weeds all season long, but only as long as the weed are green. a dead weedbed holds no crappies in my experience.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:30 AM »
That makes sense because when the weeds are dead and decaying, they are producing methane gas that dilutes the water's oxygen level.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:37 AM »
If available.... A basin that is a mid flat. Anything that would support bug and larvae. Panfish always suspend there picking off the tiny creatures as they rise up in the water column.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.