Author Topic: Grandsons using my tipups with my name/address  (Read 3909 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Grandsons using my tipups with my name/address
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:47 PM »
In Ind. name/address is required on tipups. My tipups have my info written on them with permanent marker. So if I let my grandsons use some of my tipups can I put tape over my info and write their name/address on the tape. If I didn't do that then there would be more than 3 lines in the water. In Ind. we're aloud 3 lines per person in the water.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Grandsons using my tipups with my name/address
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Michigan has the same three line rule and I've been checked a few times when fishing with friends who were using my equipment with my tags.  Never had a problem with too many of one particular name tag - each time the CO's only wanted to know how many lines we had in total for the licensed fisherman in our group and never even looked to see if they were tagged.  I would think you would be fine doing the tape/marker tag.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Don't know how strict Mich CO's are. But in Indiana catch a CO in the wrong mood or a newbe trying to move up in rank and there may be problems. You never know how "by the book" a Ind. CO will be.

Here in Indiana it says, "Tip-ups must be identified with the name and address of the user". If the CO goes by the book the user must have his info on the tipup. We had one of those type CO's in our district, luckily she retired. I've never had anyone  use my tipups before but with my Grandsons getting old enough to icefish now I wanted to make sure I was legal. Maybe I'm better off contacting my DNR to be sure.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:33 PM »
I live in New York we used to the same rule ,name and address had to be on the tipup. We are allowed seven lines in combination of our choosing. Smart move on you part Musky8it I try and keep blank address labels and a pen or marker among my ice fishing gear . Must of the times I've been checked while ice fishing usually only asked to see my license and if tipups were labled back when it was required to do so never had an Econ officer pull a tipup to check always took my word. Better to be safe then get a ticket/summons.
Steve

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Michigan has the same three line rule and I've been checked a few times when fishing with friends who were using my equipment with my tags.  Never had a problem with too many of one particular name tag - each time the CO's only wanted to know how many lines we had in total for the licensed fisherman in our group and never even looked to see if they were tagged.  I would think you would be fine doing the tape/marker tag.
.      Better off to put tape with his name on it, never know about each CO , like your fish limit is 25, u can’t legally catch 40 with your grandson and he catch 10, if they watch from a distance, and believe me they do u will be in trouble. Now if u are walking off with 50 and are checked you should be fine. Makes no difference to me, but I put my fish in bucket or bag then no confusion as to who caught what

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:27 AM »
I would tape them since its easy.  place piece of tape on flag wire.  it stays on but easy to remove.  I don't think mr green jeans would give him a ticket, if you were there, but you never know if his ticket book is full for the month or not. ;D

I had my name on the flags years ago.  lost a flag somewhere, so I put it rt out side the shanty door that day. figured it pretty clear whose flag it was  he thought it was necessary to have me walk back to his truck to give me a written warning.  best to have all your ducks in a row and not let them give you the business.  here is my license here are my fish.  have a nice day officer. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:17 AM »
I would tape them since its easy.  place piece of tape on flag wire.  it stays on but easy to remove.  I don't think mr green jeans would give him a ticket, if you were there, but you never know if his ticket book is full for the month or not. ;D

It would be me getting the ticket not the grdson if I had 2 out and he had 2 out and all 4 had my name on them. Like I said I'll put tape over my name and write his name on 2. That way 2 has my name & 2 has his name. I would think the CO would have to be a real ????? in not accepting tipup user IDing with grdnsons name on tape.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:39 AM »
Been there, done that. Fishing derby a couple years ago. My wife was using 2 of my beaver dams, my son in law also 2 and my 2. All had my name on them. 300 dollar fine plus another 75 dollar one for not having my paper registration for my snowmachine.  2 officers were handing out tickets like candy canes. They were real "Richard craniums".  Put tape over your name and write there's on it.  Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Going from my experiences if you are planing to fish at a derby/contest make sure you have your fishing license ,vehicle  proof of registration and are in compliance with any other rules and regulations. High chance that Econ officer will be present and checking to see if persons are legally fishing.
Steve

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Same rule here in Iowa. You can just print up some little paper tags with his name on them, put some clear packaging tape over it to be waterproof and attach it to the flag with a bread-tie. That's what I do when buddies borrow mine. I've never had a warden look at my tipups though, they have always just asked how many rods I have out. I point to which tipups are mine (blue flags) and he says ok and moves on to the next guy. Never had one check hooks or bait or anything.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.