Author Topic: feathers on hooks?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
feathers on hooks?
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:34 AM »
 I just read a tip up tip, on another forum, and a guy said his dad would add a red feather tied to his hood on a sucker treble, and when the fish moved, the feather created action, that he thought resembled bleeding. anybody do this? I do think it would add a lot of action

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: feathers on hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:35 AM »
 I do sometimes add a spinner skirt to my leaders just above the hook, crazy action

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:45 PM »
I also read that post and have tied red feathers on some of my quick strike rigs for nose treble and plan on using with Pike and Lakers. I think its a great Idea to resemble bleeding.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Feathers + hooks = flies. And they work great.

Whether or not the red color emulates bleeding is up to debate but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt the effect. The action from the feather alone is enough to warrant a strike regardless of color. Action outweighs color in my experience.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:24 PM »
 I used to tie flies, and had what they call " saddle hackle" in any color you want. I chose red, and what I thought was cool over beads or spinners, is they add action, but no weight to poop the baitfish out

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:49 PM »
I do sometimes add a spinner skirt to my leaders just above the hook, crazy action

I’m a bead guy, thanks to a fellow IS member. On the leader above the hook. Many different colors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.