The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2024 License  (Read 6001 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2024 License
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:36 AM »
LOL. I worked for over 40 years and now I’m retired.  I pay taxes, too.  The license fee is well worth the price.  And no one is forced to pay it.  If you go to dinner with your wife you’ll spend that much in one night.  Enough said.

Amen!

I just spent $25 on a federal duck stamp so I could hunt geese with some buddies yesterday.

Why do we need to pay the feds for a stamp (tax) when we already bought a migratory bird permit from the PGC?!

If the bird lands in Pa, the pa license/permit is all we should need! But I wanted to hunt with them, so I paid it...................
Where's the FISH?!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2024, 07:56 AM »
Guilty as charged, Joe.  It’s the way my brain works, I suppose.  I pay over $20 to get a haircut once a month, and I certainly don’t get much pleasure in that.  Fishing I look forward to.  This wait for ice is agonizing!

If $20 bucks is breaking you, maybe you shouldn’t get a hair cut. I mean it’s not mandatory to get one.

Now, let’s pretend that you weren’t satisfied with the job your current barber is doing and You have a friend who has a barber chair in his garage. He says, “come on over and I’ll fix you right up, no charge”. What a great deal, but halfway through your haircut, your old barbershop barges in and demands that you pay them for the haircut your that your buddy is giving you for free, or they write you a hefty ticket.

That doesn’t seem right, does it? It actually seems like extortion.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:10 AM »
Amen!

I just spent $25 on a federal duck stamp so I could hunt geese with some buddies yesterday.

Why do we need to pay the feds for a stamp (tax) when we already bought a migratory bird permit from the PGC?!

If the bird lands in Pa, the pa license/permit is all we should need! But I wanted to hunt with them, so I paid it...................

The duck stamp money buy land so you actually have ducks to hunt.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:51 AM »
Amen!

This guy and his deputies don't  need a license  to poach our deer.  None of them lost their jobs or pensions, just because.

If it's good for the goose it's  good for the gander.

https://www.poconorecord.com/story/news/1999/12/16/game-commission-caught-in-headlights/51087624007/]

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2024, 01:15 PM »
If $20 bucks is breaking you, maybe you shouldn’t get a hair cut. I mean it’s not mandatory to get one.

Now, let’s pretend that you weren’t satisfied with the job your current barber is doing and You have a friend who has a barber chair in his garage. He says, “come on over and I’ll fix you right up, no charge”. What a great deal, but halfway through your haircut, your old barbershop barges in and demands that you pay them for the haircut your that your buddy is giving you for free, or they write you a hefty ticket.

That doesn’t seem right, does it? It actually seems like extortion.
No idea what you are talking about.  LOL.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2024, 02:37 PM »
No idea what you are talking about.  LOL.

I’ll type slower so maybe you can understand this time.

If I want to fish my buddies farm pond down the road, I need to purchase a fishing license.

The PFBC has zero invested in that pond, they’ve never stocked it, never done any biological surveys, didn’t build the boat ramp, nothing of the sort.

If I’m out there fishing and the WCO  drives by and sees me, they can write me a ticket for fishing without a license. How does that seem just or fair?

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 14, 2024, 02:49 PM »
I’ll type slower so maybe you can understand this time.

If I want to fish my buddies farm pond down the road, I need to purchase a fishing license.

The PFBC has zero invested in that pond, they’ve never stocked it, never done any biological surveys, didn’t build the boat ramp, nothing of the sort.

If I’m out there fishing and the WCO  drives by and sees me, they can write me a ticket for fishing without a license. How does that seem just or fair?

Too bad.  Understand?

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2024, 04:14 PM »
Too bad.  Understand?

Oh, I understand now. I understand that as long as there are people willing to continue to pay rising costs without any improvement in services, costs will continue to rise. How long until your on here saying, “it’s only 15 dollars a month”?  I’d bet my next paycheck that the services we receive won’t get any better. Bathrooms will still be overflowing,boat ramps will be laden with potholes, and access areas will be an icy, snowy mess every winter. All the while most of our license fees are used to pay for a month and a half of trout fishing.

PFBC commissioners will vote at the May commission meeting to raise license fees again in 2025. 

If this passes, next year my non resident license in Ohio and New York will be cheaper than my resident license in PA.

But don’t get me wrong, I completely understand that there are anglers who are more than willing to roll over and take it, and not hold our agencies accountable for their spending.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 14, 2024, 04:49 PM »

Oh, I understand now. I understand that as long as there are people willing to continue to pay rising costs without any improvement in services, costs will continue to rise. How long until your on here saying, “it’s only 15 dollars a month”?  I’d bet my next paycheck that the services we receive won’t get any better. Bathrooms will still be overflowing,boat ramps will be laden with potholes, and access areas will be an icy, snowy mess every winter. All the while most of our license fees are used to pay for a month and a half of trout fishing.

PFBC commissioners will vote at the May commission meeting to raise license fees again in 2025. 

If this passes, next year my non resident license in Ohio and New York will be cheaper than my resident license in PA.

But don’t get me wrong, I completely understand that there are anglers who are more than willing to roll over and take it, and not hold our agencies accountable for their spending.
I thought you only fished at your friend’s pond?  So you needed a license after all.  In fact, three. LOL

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:03 PM »
I thought you only fished at your friend’s pond?  So you needed a license after all.  In fact, three. LOL

I fish in more places than farm ponds, I was only using that as an example of the of the audacity of the PFBC to charge to fish a farm pond. Something very few states do by the way.

I also will buy a Maine and Alaska license this year, and I’m not opposed to buying licenses to fish public water. I’ve fished in a ton of states over the years, including Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Michigan, and Wisconsin. I’ve never seen a state charge so much and have absolute worst boat ramps and access areas as PA does.

Offline HooknSinker24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:08 PM »
You don't need a license to fish a farm pond on someone's private property.  Just like you don't need to license  an aluminum boat or kayak on that same pond. If it's on private property the commies have nothing to do with it .

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:09 PM »
I fish in more places than farm ponds, I was only using that as an example of the of the audacity of the PFBC to charge to fish a farm pond. Something very few states do by the way.

I also will buy a Maine and Alaska license this year, and I’m not opposed to buying licenses to fish public water. I’ve fished in a ton of states over the years, including Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Michigan, and Wisconsin. I’ve never seen a state charge so much and have absolute worst boat ramps and access areas as PA does.
With all of those licenses I would think you would be smarter than this.  Apparently not.  Pennsylvania provides very little money to the PFBC.  They rely on license fees.  NY provides MUCH more money from their general fund to the DEC.  That’s why their licenses are inexpensive.  Just quit being so cheap. 

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:12 PM »
You don't need a license to fish a farm pond on someone's private property.  Just like you don't need to license  an aluminum boat or kayak on that same pond. If it's on private property the commies have nothing to do with it .

Yes, you need a license to fish any body of water in PA unless you own it.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:27 PM »

This is incorrect. If you are not the landowner or immediate family, you must have a license. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:52 PM »
With all of those licenses I would think you would be smarter than this.  Apparently not.  Pennsylvania provides very little money to the PFBC.  They rely on license fees.  NY provides MUCH more money from their general fund to the DEC.  That’s why their licenses are inexpensive.  Just quit being so cheap.

Maybe….and just maybe it’s because the PFBC spends over half of its annual operating budget on the trout stocking program? PA stocks more trout than any other state in the US, with the exception of California. By the way, California charges $61 dollars for a resident fishing license and they also are funded from the states general fund. What’s that? How can that be? I thought states that got funding from the general fund we’re able to offer cheap licenses? I don’t know, perhaps you could explain it to me since I’m not very smart.

While NYDEC does receive funding from the NY general fund, it’s only around 1/4 of its budget, with license and permitting fees funding over half of the agencies budget. Let not forget that NYDEC is doing the job of four PA agencies.

Did you know that Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming don’t get any money from their respective general funds? A few years ago I spent several weeks bumming around Montana fishing and camping at fishing access sites. The facilities there were impeccable. I would have eaten in the outhouses. They were cleaned and serviced every single day. The boat ramps for the drift boats were well maintained and parking was ample. I had similar experiences in Idaho and Wyoming. Montana fish and game is a shining example of how a state agency should be run.

You are right about one thing though, I am cheap. It’s how I’m able to afford all these licenses and travel to other states to fish. I don’t spend money on frivolous things, like weekly trips to the salon. 

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:57 PM »
Maybe….and just maybe it’s because the PFBC spends over half of its annual operating budget on the trout stocking program? PA stocks more trout than any other state in the US, with the exception of California. By the way, California charges $61 dollars for a resident fishing license and they also are funded from the states general fund. What’s that? How can that be? I thought states that got funding from the general fund we’re able to offer cheap licenses? I don’t know, perhaps you could explain it to me since I’m not very smart.

While NYDEC does receive funding from the NY general fund, it’s only around 1/4 of its budget, with license and permitting fees funding over half of the agencies budget. Let not forget that NYDEC is doing the job of four PA agencies.

Did you know that Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming don’t get any money from their respective general funds? A few years ago I spent several weeks bumming around Montana fishing and camping at fishing access sites. The facilities there were impeccable. I would have eaten in the outhouses. They were cleaned and serviced every single day. The boat ramps for the drift boats were well maintained and parking was ample. I had similar experiences in Idaho and Wyoming. Montana fish and game is a shining example of how a state agency should be run.

You are right about one thing though, I am cheap. It’s how I’m able to afford all these licenses and travel to other states to fish. I don’t spend money on frivolous things, like weekly trips to the salon.
Yes, you are cheap.  End of story. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:18 PM »

Sounds like maybe you should just move to one of those states.........😏
Where's the FISH?!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:22 PM »
Sounds like maybe you should just move to one of those states.........😏

I’ve considered it. If I hadn’t put so much time and effort into the property we have here, and I doubt I’d ever to be able to get this much land at the price I paid ever again. With me being so cheap and all, I’d hate to have to spend money.

I did have the opportunity several years ago to take employment out west, but I couldn’t convince the misses to make the move.

My wife is pretty big on family, that keeps us here for the time being.

Plus, I’ve been told I’m not very smart, it would be a miracle if I could read a map to find my way to another state. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:24 PM »
Yes, you are cheap.  End of story.

Could you tell me one thing? Am I correct in assuming that since it’s only $4 dollars a month, you purchase an annual license every year and not the senior citizen lifetime license?

Seems to me that buying the senior citizen license might make you cheap too.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:42 PM »
Could you tell me one thing? Am I correct in assuming that since it’s only $4 dollars a month, you purchase an annual license every year and not the senior citizen lifetime license?

Seems to me that buying the senior citizen license might make you cheap too.
I have a lifetime senior license and ten year trout stamp.  After decades of buying the regular license and trout stamp. I’ve never complained about paying for this privilege to fish these great waters. It truly is a bargain. 

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:59 AM »
If there is a stream that runs into the farm pond then the PFC has rules to govern that stream cause it prolly don't start or end on his property .

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:42 AM »
The license with Erie permit and trout stamp combo is actually $48.94. For $1.06 more I can fish for all species of fish in NY as well as two Great Lakes as a Non-Resident. That’s pretty steep for a resident license if you ask me.
^^^This pretty much sums it up^^^

Not that I can’t afford paying the PA license fees but it’s hard to believe our resident license isn’t much cheaper than a NY non-resident and the fishing opportunities and quality of fishing are so much better in NY.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 15, 2024, 09:08 AM »
^^^This pretty much sums it up^^^

Not that I can’t afford paying the PA license fees but it’s hard to believe our resident license isn’t much cheaper than a NY non-resident and the fishing opportunities and quality of fishing are so much better in NY.
As I said in an earlier post, NY puts much more money into conservation (from their general fund) than Pennsylvania does.  Compare the Adirondacks to the Poconos, for example.  Much more pristine.  New Yorkers pay much higher income and property taxes, and I suppose you can conclude they get what they pay for.  We can have cheaper fishing licenses here if you want your taxes to go up in exchange. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 15, 2024, 11:25 AM »
I have a lifetime senior license and ten year trout stamp.  After decades of buying the regular license and trout stamp. I’ve never complained about paying for this privilege to fish these great waters. It truly is a bargain.

Figures, the guy who tells me what a bargain the license is, doesn’t actually pay for a license anymore.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 15, 2024, 11:30 AM »
As I said in an earlier post, NY puts much more money into conservation (from their general fund) than Pennsylvania does.  Compare the Adirondacks to the Poconos, for example.  Much more pristine.  New Yorkers pay much higher income and property taxes, and I suppose you can conclude they get what they pay for.  We can have cheaper fishing licenses here if you want your taxes to go up in exchange.

If higher taxes and getting money from the general fund equates to lower sporting licenses, why does California have the most expensive resident and non resident fishing licenses in the country?

California has high real estate taxes, as well as get a larger share of their fish and game funding from the general fund.

Could it be that states with extensive trout stocking programs, have more expensive licenses? Trout are expensive to raise.

Also, please don’t ever compare that conglomeration of housing developments, gated communities and strip malls that is the Poconos with the Adirondacks.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2024, 12:03 PM »

Figures, the guy who tells me what a bargain the license is, doesn’t actually pay for a license anymore.

Fishing isn't  a privilege,  it is a God given right.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:22 PM »

If higher taxes and getting money from the general fund equates to lower sporting licenses, why does California have the most expensive resident and non resident fishing licenses in the country?

California has high real estate taxes, as well as get a larger share of their fish and game funding from the general fund.

Could it be that states with extensive trout stocking programs, have more expensive licenses? Trout are expensive to raise.

Also, please don’t ever compare that conglomeration of housing developments, gated communities and strip malls that is the Poconos with the Adirondacks.
I’m not here to debate WHY each state does what they do.  If it makes you feel any better, Pennsylvania doesn’t charge for entrance to State Parks.  New York charges an entrance fee, as much as $10 at some parks.  Enjoy, enjoy!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 15, 2024, 03:48 PM »
I’m not here to debate WHY each state does what they do.  If it makes you feel any better, Pennsylvania doesn’t charge for entrance to State Parks.  New York charges an entrance fee, as much as $10 at some parks.  Enjoy, enjoy!

I see, so you were willing to discuss why states have lower license fees than others until it was shown that there is no correlation between property tax, general fund money and fee prices? Is that correct?

I am aware of NY State Parks entrance fees, but according to your logic, this should not occur. NY has higher property tax rates than PA, so by all accounts PA should be the one charging for park entrance.   

I do enjoy NY state parks, their boat ramps are top notch. I certainly don’t mind paying 8 bucks for a premium boat ramp, fish cleaning station and clean restrooms. 

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:01 PM »

I see, so you were willing to discuss why states have lower license fees than others until it was shown that there is no correlation between property tax, general fund money and fee prices? Is that correct?

I am aware of NY State Parks entrance fees, but according to your logic, this should not occur. NY has higher property tax rates than PA, so by all accounts PA should be the one charging for park entrance.   

I do enjoy NY state parks, their boat ramps are top notch. I certainly don’t mind paying 8 bucks for a premium boat ramp, fish cleaning station and clean restrooms.
All I know is a Pennsylvania fishing license is chump change.  Beer money.  Chicken feed.  Peanuts.  Small potatoes.  Pocket money.  Drop in the bucket.  Smidgen.  Practically free. 

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:17 PM »
All I know is a Pennsylvania fishing license is chump change.  Beer money.  Chicken feed.  Peanuts.  Small potatoes.  Pocket money.  Drop in the bucket.  Smidgen.  Practically free.

...and a rip off too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.