The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooks Pond  (Read 3061 times)

Offline wiggins422

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooks Pond
« on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Don't see this pond in the reports and conditions thread but fished it today.There was 9.5 inches of ice with 2.5 of it frozen slush and snow ice.The shoreline was solid. This 40 acre pond is located in northeastern Bradford County and is a county park..

Offline glen6501

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cooks Pond
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:09 AM »
I was looking for information on this place. How is the fishing there?
Thanks

Offline MMWood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Nice place to fish,  catch bass,trout,perch,crappie,gills,bullhead.  Seems to hold ice well.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2023, 07:44 AM »
Ice still good?

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2023, 01:21 PM »
I'm not familiar with this pond so unfortunately, I can't offer much useful info.

With that said, I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with that area:

1. Are there any bait shops in Bradford County that carry minnows? I have a place near Towanda but cannot find anywhere relatively close that has bait. I read there were a few area bait shops that have closed over the years. Any suggestions would be appreciated (remember to drop the names/addresses/details) into the bait shops list pinned to the top of the PA forum.

2. Are there any ponds/lakes within a short drive of Towanda (maybe 30 minutes) worth fishing? I really like to target panfish (perch, gills, crappies) but also like spots that have a wide variety of species (bass, pickerel, walleye?). I know the Susquehanna has excellent smallmouth and walleye fishing but I've never ice fished a river before and know that river conditions can change quickly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:06 AM »
Not shure if this is any help looks like couple body’s of water just north in n. Wysox.lake  Wesauking the biggest the other 2 are more like ponds Shores pond and Blacks lake. Good luck if you go . A/P :tipup: :

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:29 AM »
Not shure if this is any help looks like couple body’s of water just north in n. Wysox.lake  Wesauking the biggest the other 2 are more like ponds Shores pond and Blacks lake. Good luck if you go . A/P :tipup: :

Those might be frack water containment ponds

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2023, 03:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies ArkansasPete and fishon814.

There is one pond on Rte 6 near the Claverack office in Wysox that's been there for years (called Claverack Pond). I believe it's a fire pond used to fill tanker trucks. I'm not familiar with any of the other three lakes/ponds mentioned. I know there has been a ton of fracking in that area for many years so it's possible some could have been used for fracking.

Follow up questions:

1) Do you know anything about Wesauking, Shores or Blacks lake? Are they public or private lakes?  Species?

2) I did an internet search and found a reference to Bumps Bait in Towanda but they have no website. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2023, 07:35 PM »
Haven't been up that way in a couple years, most of the best bait shops where I live closed the last 3 years to where it's hard to find bait even where it's in high demand in winter!

Offline Clam Sr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2023, 08:44 AM »
There are a few public places to fish not far from Towanda.
1. Sunfish Pond County Park within SGL 12. It gets stocked with trout and has a decent panfish and pickerel population. Not an easy place to fish but there are good ones for the catching if you are in the right place at the right time.
2. Shepherds Pond - SGL 250. The upper pond has good panfish, bass and pickerel fishing. It's weedy and can be a tough place to fish as well due to the weeds and easy public access.
3. Cooks Pond as was mentioned earlier is a county park as well now. easy access to the pond. has a lot of panfish and bass, lots of dinks but good fish are there if you can find them.
4. Foster Joseph Sayers Lake - Mt. Pisgah state park lake is also a good lake to fish. It gets murky quick after rain or run-off events, but I've heard good things.
5. SGL 289 Pond - not far from Mt. Pisgah SP has good access and good fishing, again the fishing can be challenging due to easy access.

Bait shops in Bradford County:
1. Ruttin Bucks near Wyalusing has bait (minnows included)
2. Bumps Bait and Tackle off of SR 220 north of New Albany i've heard has minnows and bait as well.
A quick google search will find the addresses for both.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:03 AM »
Thanks so much for the very detailed and helpful response Clam Sr.!

I have fished Sunfish Pond a few times over the years and yes, it can be challenging to get back there. I'm definitely going to check out some of the other spots you mentioned.

Also, thanks for the info on the two bait shops. I think I have seen the signs for Rutt'n Bucks on Rte 6 in Wyalusing and have probably passed by it hundreds of times. It's probably a 15 minute drive from our place which is HUGELY helpful. The only time I really use live bait is in the winter so I will definitely be visiting them in colder months.

I will also put both of the shops you mentioned on the bait shop list at the top of this forum so others can find them when they are in the area.

If I can return the favor, please let me know!

Thanks!

Butcher

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:20 AM »
There are a few public places to fish not far from Towanda.
1. Sunfish Pond County Park within SGL 12. It gets stocked with trout and has a decent panfish and pickerel population. Not an easy place to fish but there are good ones for the catching if you are in the right place at the right time.
2. Shepherds Pond - SGL 250. The upper pond has good panfish, bass and pickerel fishing. It's weedy and can be a tough place to fish as well due to the weeds and easy public access.
3. Cooks Pond as was mentioned earlier is a county park as well now. easy access to the pond. has a lot of panfish and bass, lots of dinks but good fish are there if you can find them.
4. Foster Joseph Sayers Lake - Mt. Pisgah state park lake is also a good lake to fish. It gets murky quick after rain or run-off events, but I've heard good things.
5. SGL 289 Pond - not far from Mt. Pisgah SP has good access and good fishing, again the fishing can be challenging due to easy access.

Bait shops in Bradford County:
1. Ruttin Bucks near Wyalusing has bait (minnows included)
2. Bumps Bait and Tackle off of SR 220 north of New Albany i've heard has minnows and bait as well.
A quick google search will find the addresses for both.

Great info, but just to clarify, #4 Mt. Pisgah State Park is Stephen Foster Lake.  Foster Sayers is down in central PA
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Thanks so much for the clarification TackleShack. One day I am going to find a reason to drive to Wellsboro to visit your shop. I really appreciate all of the posts you put out for ice conditions in your area. I hope people recognize how lucky they are to have a business so committed to serving its customers and community.

Offline Clam Sr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:27 PM »

Great info, but just to clarify, #4 Mt. Pisgah State Park is Stephen Foster Lake.  Foster Sayers is down in central PA

Thanks for the clarification and correction. I hadn't had my 3rd cup of coffee yet today when I typed that!

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Anyone been on? Might make the drive over tomorrow morning.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:02 PM »
Ice is 6+ fishing was very slow small perch and a few gill. Has anyone got into crappie in here?

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:41 AM »
Guys on the NY page say the Agway in Athens PA carries bait for an option in this area.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2023, 02:01 PM »

Getting bigger

Offline MMWood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:27 PM »
Find the crappie yet?  Thanks for sharing the info

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:16 PM »
Not a one but I’ve only fished it a handful of times and only thru the ice. I’m going to try it in the spring to and see how I do.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2024, 10:01 AM »
Any one been on??

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:30 AM »
Was there couple yrs ago when it was melting and freezing almost got stuck down there no cell service blk ice on road fished a little caught some but was to worried about getting out had to take it out of function that alternates rear wheel slip and ride berm out now have non skid salt and true 4 wheel drive

Offline purplelab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2024, 12:15 PM »
Haven't been on it but pretty sure its ready.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.