Author Topic: Air Fryers  (Read 2127 times)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
Air Fryers
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I've seen these things advertised.....do they work?, and does anyone on here use one?

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Air Fryers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:46 PM »
I have one...it makes killer tater tots.

I used it for "fried" chicken one time, it worked out pretty well.  I think I still have some bass filets in the freezer, I should try it for fish fingers.  Something to keep in mind, you can't really do a batter dip like you would with frying in oil.  It has to be more of a breaded coating, closer to shake n bake so it will stay put while the pieces cook vs. dripping off.
-Matt

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:08 PM »
The information is appreciated..........T hanks and tight lines to ya.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:17 PM »
We purchased the Nuewave one last year and let me tell you. We ended up throwing our deep frier out. The only thing i use oil for now is my crappie filets. This thing will brown anything. Clean up is easy. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Consumer Reports on Air Fryers

The promise of air fryers is that they deliver the same deliciously crunchy taste of fried food without all the fattening oil. To evaluate that proposition, Consumer Reports bought and tested a number of models, and just recently added a handful of new ones to our air fryer ratings, bringing the total to 14.

Turns out, air fryers aren’t really fryers at all. They’re compact countertop convection ovens. As such, they rely on a fan to circulate hot air to cook food contained in a small basket that you remove when the food is ready. And because they’re designed to fit neatly on your counter, most don't have the capacity to cook for a crowd.

We wanted to know how air-fried food tastes, so we gathered staffers in the lab to try fare that the owners’ manuals recommend—french fries, chicken wings, and chicken nuggets. We cooked batches of the same foods in many of the air fryers and, for comparison, a deep fryer. “Staffers weren’t told which cooking method was used for each food, yet everybody could tell which foods were deep-fried,” says Larry Ciufo, the CR engineer who runs our air fryer tests.

Though none of the air fryers replicated deep-fried results, they all turned out nicely cooked food, and in short order. One thing to keep in mind, however. Oil is used to set the breading on packaged frozen chicken nuggets and to coat frozen fries, for example, so these processed foods are not oil- or fat-free even though you're not using oil in the cooking process.

Joe Pacella, an engineer at CR and the father of four young children, says his family uses its air fryer almost daily: “My wife didn’t want to pull hot pans of chicken nuggets or french fries out of the oven with our toddler running around like a maniac,” says Pacella, who also prefers to reheat foods in the air fryer rather than in a microwave.

Below, reviews of five of the models we tested, in alphabetical—not rank—order. For a complete comparison, and to see which one earned the top spot, see our air fryer ratings.
Bella Hot Air Fryer 14538

Bella Hot Air Fryer 14538

CR’s take: The least expensive model in our tests, the Bella Hot Air Fryer 14538 has a capacity of only 2.5 quarts and has no preprogrammed settings. Its mechanical controls are easy to set and read, earning it a rating of Very Good in this test, but you’ll hear the appliance’s fan and the tick of its timer. The Bella is easy to clean, and the two-year warranty is generous, given the relatively low price.
Farberware HF-919B

Amazon
    click for price

Farberware HF-919B

CR’s take: Price and performance make the Farberware HF-919B air fryer a CR Best Buy. It’s among the quietest of the models we’ve tested—you can actually hear the mechanical timer ticking over the fan noise—rating Excellent in our noise tests. The dials are fairly easy to read and use, but the nooks and crannies of the food basket make it tough to clean, and the basket’s capacity is just 3.2 quarts. However, the two-year warranty is longer than most.
Nu-Wave 6-Qt 37001
More:

Bed Bath & Beyond
    $130
    Overstock.com
    $130

Nu-Wave 6-Qt 37001

CR’s take: With a 5.8-quart capacity, the high-performing NuWave 6-Quart 37001 air fryer is the largest we tested. So, depending on how many folks you’re feeding, this one will require fewer batches. Plus, our experts find its electronic controls with preprogrammed settings to be among the easiest to see and use, earning this model a rating of Excellent in this test. The inside and outside of the appliance are both a cinch to clean, but cleaning food out of the holes in the basket takes a little extra effort. This air fryer is on the noisy side—according to our measurements, the fan is as loud as a countertop microwave, so you'll hear it running. The warranty is good for one year.
Philips TurboStar HD9641/96

Philips TurboStar HD9641/96

CR’s take: The most expensive of the group, the Philips TurboStar HD9641/96 has a capacity of 3.1 quarts, which puts it in the middle of the pack in terms of size. The electronic controls are fairly easy to use and read, and there’s a handy knob to set the cooking time and temperature. Preprogrammed settings for commonly cooked foods eliminate a step. Cleaning the nooks of the basket can be a chore, although the rest of the fryer cleans up easily, earning this air fryer a Good rating in our cleaning tests. The warranty is one year.
Power AirFryer XL
More:

Bed Bath & Beyond
    $130
    JCPenney
    $199

Power AirFryer XL

CR’s take: The As Seen on TV Power AirFryer XL has a 5.3-quart capacity—one of the largest in our ratings—and is easiest to clean, in part because of the basket’s nonstick coating; it rates Excellent in our cleaning tests. The digital controls and preprogrammed settings are a snap to read and use. This model is on the noisy side, about as loud as a typical countertop microwave. That’s not a big drawback if you’re cooking something that takes just a few minutes. But the sound might prove annoying for longer tasks. The Power XL’s warranty is the shortest of the bunch—just 60 days.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Sweetie picked up a Power Air Fryer XL a couple of weeks ago and we've been playing with it. Size (5.3) is still a bit small even for two people. It will do fries and a burger for one great. I have best luck looking up the youtube vids on it and going from there. Understand though most of the people on these vids are trying to show you how to do something never having done it previously themselves! So, it's a freestyle machine. If ya like that kind of cooking (I do) you'll like it. If ya need to follow a recipe you won't like it. Have yet to try it on my last two Walleye fillets but think it will work great. Best of luck and have a great and wonderful season! Remember..TAKE A KID FISHIN! ;D

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:54 PM »
The few people I know that have them claim it's just as good as fried. My dad and his lady are huge proponents but I don't share their tastes. I think they must have forgot how amazing tatertots and hashrounds and brew fries are when they come perfectly fried out of hot oil. I think they are great for people who eat a lot of processed foods. If you want your typically microwaved foods to taste much better go with the air fryer! But I will never nix my deep fryer!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:03 PM »
got one hate it. a nuwave. only used it once maybe i put too many (whole bag) fries in it. sure isnt quick like liquid oil. after you figure out how to use it, have to heat it up then cook for 10 min then flip'em. and another 10 etc etc. if you get one be sure to wash it well and run it dry the first time then clean it again. sure takes up a lot of storage space. i think someone may be getting it for xmas. lol
ill stick to my 2 fry daddys.

luv2fish2

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:14 PM »
leftover chicken wings are awesome in almost better than fresh , we like are's but it won't totally replace a deep fryer but it does somethings better just not enough room, oh yeah the misses made some pork loin chops and they were juicy inside and crisp outside Mmmmmmmmmmm ;D

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:58 PM »
We had biggest one and took it back. Not big enough lol

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:28 PM »
I have one. Mostly use it to cook frozen potatoes, kielbasa, and porkchop.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:38 AM »
I just bought a ninja foodi a few weeks ago, I haven’t tried the “air frying” on fish but I am going to try it tomorrow with some walleye. I think I am going to go through the breading process and lightly spray the filets with oil. Deep frying is my favorite, but in an effort to eat a little healthier this seems to be a pretty good option.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:37 AM »
We use ours all the time for french fries, tater tots, other appetizers like egg rolls, etc..love it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:49 AM »

There is just the wife and I so it works for us , wings , fries , egg rolls , shrimp , tater tots wrapped in bacon are pretty tasty ,

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:24 AM »
we are trying to eat healthier and retired our oil fryer so far and haven't used it all year. the oil fryer is also wasteful being we used it once and a while so the used oil isn't good to have sitting in it for months for the next use. i don't miss any of the oil issues.

there is a learning curve with hot air and it does take a lot longer for some things like meat, but worth it to us. i haven't found a recipe for fish yet. anybody have some good ones?
they cook from the top down and need air around the sides of the food for the air to circulate. you do have to flip food over because it doesn't cook on the bottom. same as a skillet, just upside down.

one thing we learned is not spray oil or non stick oils to the fryer pan. the aerosol beaks down the coating. we use a pump sprayer designed for this. some foods are supposed to be sprayed with a light coat of oil and we use it for that as well. we add water to the bottle along with the the oil. just shake well before using and empty the nozzle by holding it upside down until it's clear like paint cans.

at first i didn't like the outcome, but it was trying some thing new and had to learn how to use it. we like it now. both of us cook with it with no problems.
you'd be surprised what all you can cook in them and there a lot of recipes.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:30 AM »
We have one and I'm pretty sure it feels like a Maytag repairman sitting on a shelf in the pantry.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:57 AM »
We have one and use it often. My grandson makes country fried steak in it at least once a week and pizza rolls are great in it. There is definitely a learning curve with some items as to how long to cook them. An example is pizza rolls in the oven they take about 12 minutes and deep fried they take about 4 minutes (try it they are great) while in the air fryer they take 8 minutes. The air fryer does take longer than deep fryer but not as long as the oven at least on what we have tried so far. Other than fries that I flip to cook them evenly I have not found the need to flip things like the country fried steaks to get them to properly cook. Our unit's basket is slightly elevated from the bottom of the cooking unit and has holes to allow air flow around the food. My daughter has 6 people in her home so they would have to cook food in batches as they are not that large. We now considering getting something like the instapot that is a pressure cooker type item that also crisps the food, you can cook a chicken in it and the skin is crispy when done.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:42 PM »
i like my toaster oven more.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:10 AM »
We got a NuWave from mom-in-law, last Christmas...  I thought it would go straight to the thrift store.  Tried it in like March.  I haven't used the grill since.  It is great for certain things, especially meat and fish...  It is better than grilling for steaks, burgers, fish, chicken, whatever.  More control, slightly less time, no burning.  It does do great for tatter tots.  Great for reheating stuff.  Can cook stuff from frozen even.  It isn't the same as frying but meat/fish come out very well.  You don't get really strong browning.  We cooked a Thanksgiving turkey on it this year - best ever.

s

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:16 AM »
How long are you guys air frying blue gills fillets? Do you have to flip them or add anything to them besides breading?

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I egged and breaded some gill fillets in August.  I think it was like 4 minutes a side.  Probably depends on cooker and fillet thickness - these were good-sized.  Trial and error.  May have sprayed oil on them after breading - don't remember.

s

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I bought an Extra Large s/s Oster Counter Top convection oven last week at Sams Club for $80. The s/s Power Air Fryer was $150. The Power air fryer has a rotisserie but I don't need it because I was to bake fish only. It works great but the door gets very hot so be careful. I think it sturdier that the plastic and less likely to catch fire. I used a panko/crushed thin pretzels for a coating and the fish was crunchy just like frying.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Wife "fried" up some fish tonight with a bread crust.  Crust didn't really get crunchy but the fish was good, but it was far from a lentan (Lenton, lenten?)  friday.  I don't mind it but the thing is huge and is going to require half of the cabinet or counter space.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:27 PM »
It has two racks. You can put about 20 filets in it. I'm trying to get the timing down for the turbo/convection setting.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:40 PM »
Just did some walleye a few days ago and they turned out excellent. I have the Insignia from Best Buy. Dipped the chunks of fillet in an egg, and coated with Shore Lunch oven style. I sprayed the tops of the coated fillets with Pam canola oil and they came out crispy and delicious.

I also use it for french fries, and chicken fingers. You can't fit a ton of food in it, but I've really liked the purchase so far.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:34 AM »
Sorry but I've had "air fried" (ie: mini convection oven/EZ-bake-oven-for-grownups cooked) stuff and it's just not the same. I think most people just haven't had truly properly deep fried food. If you use fresh peanut oil, a big cast iron dutch oven, digital probe thermometer to get the oil to no less than 360F, and ice cold dredging/batter and cold dried off fillets, you can't beat it. AF is much easier and safer but I'd Pepsi challenge the air fryer stuff anyday, especially battered or flour coated thin fillets which as someone pointed out is not really possible in an AF. If it is so great why arent any restaurants or fast food places using them? They'd save a fortune not buying peanut oil and 360 deg oil is a huge liability for grease fires and employee safety. Just my 2 cents.  ;D

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I like the convection countertop because there is no grease which is bad for your health. Also it does not smoke up the house in the winter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a health nut, but my wife watches her weight and now she enjoys air-fryed fish.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Sorry but I've had "air fried" (ie: mini convection oven/EZ-bake-oven-for-grownups cooked) stuff and it's just not the same. I think most people just haven't had truly properly deep fried food. If you use fresh peanut oil, a big cast iron dutch oven, digital probe thermometer to get the oil to no less than 360F, and ice cold dredging/batter and cold dried off fillets, you can't beat it. AF is much easier and safer but I'd Pepsi challenge the air fryer stuff anyday, especially battered or flour coated thin fillets which as someone pointed out is not really possible in an AF. If it is so great why arent any restaurants or fast food places using them? They'd save a fortune not buying peanut oil and 360 deg oil is a huge liability for grease fires and employee safety. Just my 2 cents.  ;D
i know how to oil fry foods. never been a problem with knowing how to. i like my beer battered onion rings in my air fryer and would go head to head with my oil fryer any day, but i already have and the air fryer wins!

restaurants serve you that deep fried oily food and it's on you if you want to go there to eat it. they aren't cooking it for themselves.
they want speed also.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Thanks for the information, that's what makes this a great site.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Wifey wanted one,so we got one,we use it every day.There is very little that cannot be cooked in an air fryer,I will never eat a baked potatoe cooked any other way.I eat  a breakfast of pork jowl and eggs every morning,one I made the jowl in the air fryer,I leave the cast iron for the eggs.We have since bought one for each of our kids,they love them,I highly recommend them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.