Author Topic: Real World Experience -- Clam X200 vs Otter Pro X-Over  (Read 6180 times)

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm considering switching from a hub shelter to a flip over.  I usually only use a shelter when targeting smelt -- a pursuit that requires a ton of gear and space.  Accordingly, I've narrowed my search to the Otter X-Over Lodge series or the Clam JM X200.  Basically, I want the largest shelter I can manage by myself.

I will tow the shelter with a Snowdog, so no hand pulling.  And, I plan to get an enclosed trailer next year -- no wrestling on and off the tailgate.

How are the X200 shelters holding up?  Any problems with the fabric?  The tub?  Anything that frustrates you or needs improvement?

Same for the Otter.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Real World Experience -- Clam X200 vs Otter Pro X-Over
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:52 AM »
The Otter will be a lot tougher sled than the Clam. I’d pick the Otter. No brainer.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:27 AM »
I'm considering switching from a hub shelter to a flip over.  I usually only use a shelter when targeting smelt -- a pursuit that requires a ton of gear and space.  Accordingly, I've narrowed my search to the Otter X-Over Lodge series or the Clam JM X200.  Basically, I want the largest shelter I can manage by myself.

I will tow the shelter with a Snowdog, so no hand pulling.  And, I plan to get an enclosed trailer next year -- no wrestling on and off the tailgate.

How are the X200 shelters holding up?  Any problems with the fabric?  The tub?  Anything that frustrates you or needs improvement?

Same for the Otter.

Thanks in advance.

I have had nothing but good things to say about the Clam X300, except perhaps weight. But that same weight is because the fabric is heavy duty and the sled is built like a tank.

The internal light bar is nice for people who use lights and there are 4 doors which make it easy to find a path out that doesn't disturb things. The cover is very sturdy with heavy-duty clips (if needed) and a zippered opening to access things without removing the cover.

I would get one again - that is the best thing that I could say.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I own the Clam X200. I couldn't be any happier with it, it's an amazing flip shanty. The fabric is great the quality is great, the zippers are perfect... I tow it miles and miles on snowmobile trails because I use it as a sleeper cabin on snowmobile trips. People will all say the tub is better on the Otter but the Clam sled has shown me to be bombproof, I don't see how on earth it could be any more durable. It is heavy, so there is that. Mine is usually 300-400lbs loaded for a 3 night trip. I looked at the Otter and I did like the tub design but I preferred the seat system on the Clam. Mine is also the Pro model so it came with the center console, sled runner kit, battery tray and light bar. I have no complaints!

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen!  Excellent feedback!

Just ordered the JM X200 from Scheel's. $200 off and free shipping seemed like a good deal.

In the end, I think the X200 is a slightly better value than the Otter.  The included accessories like the light bar and travel cover are essential.  Only had to add the runner kit.

Was able to use Club Points at Bass Pro to score the Pro Hitch for free.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!  Excellent feedback!

Just ordered the JM X200 from Scheel's. $200 off and free shipping seemed like a good deal.

In the end, I think the X200 is a slightly better value than the Otter.  The included accessories like the light bar and travel cover are essential.  Only had to add the runner kit.

Was able to use Club Points at Bass Pro to score the Pro Hitch for free.

Now all you need to do is wait until next season... :'(
Veritas Odium Parit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2020, 12:16 PM »
No worries. Almost every big ticket ice fishing purchase I've made has been during an end-of-season sale.

Only exception was the Snowdog.  Enthusiasm and desire yielded to wisened pragmatism.  Just can't post-hole through 2 feet of powder anymore.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2020, 12:44 PM »
  Just can't post-hole through 2 feet of powder anymore.

Me either... :P
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2020, 02:31 PM »
You'll love the pro hitch. Works killer.

I drag this thing everywhere!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2020, 02:42 PM »
You'll love the pro hitch. Works killer.

I drag this thing everywhere!
(Image removed from quote.)

X2!
Veritas Odium Parit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Shipped and on its way!

Our trout season ends this Sunday.  I'll assemble it over the next couple weekends.

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2020, 06:50 AM »
No worries. Almost every big ticket ice fishing purchase I've made has been during an end-of-season sale.

Only exception was the Snowdog.  Enthusiasm and desire yielded to wisened pragmatism.  Just can't post-hole through 2 feet of powder anymore.

Scored a Clam X300 Pro Thermal yesterday from Thorne Bros for $675.00 plus 149.00 shipping.   Can't wait for next season now!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Scored a Clam X300 Pro Thermal yesterday from Thorne Bros for $675.00 pluse 149.00 shipping.   Can't wait for next season now!

I think that I paid nearly double that from Thorne Bros. last year!

Great Deal!! :o
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Scored a Clam X300 Pro Thermal yesterday from Thorne Bros for $675.00 pluse 149.00 shipping.   Can't wait for next season now!

I paid $100 more than that for my X200 pro thermal and I picked it up!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Only good thing about clam products is their warranty.  Good luck with your purchase

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Only good thing about clam products is their warranty.  Good luck with your purchase

This will be replacing an Otter Lodge that I've had for several years.    Liked the Otter, but don't care for the way they attach the tent portion to the sled.    I have been researching the Clam X300 and the Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort for several days and found the reviews on the new Clams to be positive, so hopefully some things have changed.    When Thorne Bros offered their remaining shelters at half price, it made the decision pretty easy, as the Otters were sold out and not an option.   

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2020, 06:46 AM »
I'm slowly making progress.

The runner kit shipped w/o hardware so that changed the assembly sequence.  Called Clam on Friday and their customer service was fantastic.  They apologized and dropped the hardware in the mail that afternoon.  It arrived yesterday (< 2 business days).

Over the weekend I installed the seat support, hitch receiver, and all accessories.  Also assembled the seats.

I flipped the tub over last night and attached the first through bolt on each runner.  I'm letting gravity put a slow bend in each, but winter descended on us again and I'll need to use heat to get the proper shape.

The quality of every component is very good..  The tub looks 3x as thick as a jet sled and the gray interior is awesome.  The pro hitch is rugged, as is the seat assembly.  Also, they did a great job on the instructions -- very clear.

So far, couldn't be more pleased.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.