Author Topic: walleye depth for tip ups  (Read 18809 times)

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
walleye depth for tip ups
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:32 PM »
how far off the bottom do you all rig ur tip ups for walleyes?  do you still do it like pike fishing 1-3 feet off the bottom or do you vary the depths?
what depths for jigging too if you don't have a vexilar?

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
Re:walleye depth for tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2003, 12:09 PM »
 It all depends on your lake - but staggering the depths between each tipup in your spread will help your cover more depths. Maybe start on some sort of structure and place them on it -- then off it -- and all the inclines or delines you can find. I think constant contact with the bottom between jigging will help stir something up. But you can answer the questions with your vex.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:48 PM »
is there a rule of thumb measurement off the bottom?
1-3 feet off bottom or structure like that or do you just stagger the depths?
and jigging u always start at the bottom?

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:04 AM »
I typical hook my weight to the tipup line and send it to the bottom -- set the tip up on the ice and hand pull the line out of the hole -- bait it -- and put it back down -- the amount of line you leave on the ice -- is how far off the bottom it is. I usually fish my tipups 1-2 feet of the bottom. There is room for error dont get me wrong. I always start jigging on the bottom inless they showup suspended on the graph.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:04 AM »
When ice-fishing for walleye, I never have my bait more than 12in off bottom. More often than not 2-6in off bottom.

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:01 PM »
Walleye 9.5 out of 10 will be on bottom. So fish 2" to 12" off bottom for wallies. There eyes are set more on the side of there head so they don't see up very well, mostly to the front and side of them. And are mostly always on bottom.

bomshack

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:20 PM »
I put a weight on the hook and then while holding the spool from turning I put the tip-up in the hole. Slowly let the weight down. When it hits bottom I wind it back up a couple of turns. Then while holding the spool still again pull the tip-up out and mark your line with a small split shot. When done this way I'm fishing a couple of inches off the bottom and can reload a tip-up fast and consistant.
 Sometimes I'll set one up so that I'm down only half way to the bottom. If I get flags on it I'll adjust others higher.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:07 AM »
years ago when I used to use tip-ups, I usually had them in shallow (<6') water. I would always have at least one just off the bottom and at least one, a foot or so under the ice. I caught as many on the high ones as I did the ones on bottom.
Pete Lewis

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:18 PM »
During the day,1-1.5 ft off the bottom in deep water.
Night-2-3ft off the bottom deep semi and shallow as they tend to feed a little higher in the evening cruising and hunting.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:40 PM »
I don't know if this thread is dealing with tipups os jiggin. Jigging is much easier to control depth, but with tipups most of the time I am using live bait. I use 3 foot leaders and have my weight on my main line. If I put the weight on the bottom that would still allow the bait to reach 3ft+/- off the bottom. Does anyone put the weight on the leader? Can a larger fish (walleye or pike) feel a heavier weight, taking this into account what size weight do you use? For trout I don't use much weight because I am usually fishing just under the ice and I strongly believe the smaller fish(trout and panfish excluding lakers) can feel and weight bigger than an 8th or a quater. So in this case I use 1/16-1/8. Are there any affects of putting the split shot on the leader to give the bait a smaller radius to swim in. I am just afraid of over doing it with the weight by putting something heavy close to the bait and pinning it less the 2ft off bottom? What are your views on this? Heavy weight for pike and eyes because they can't feel a thing or are they more sensitive then I think they are. Thanks for the help - Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

trapdaddy21

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 AM »
first off i would never put a steel leader on a tip-up i plan to walleye fish. i usually put a swivel at the end of my heavy line then attach 6 or 8 # mono like vanish. if your just fishing for pike than a leader is a good thing if you get into some big gators. i wouldn't be afraid to put sinkers on the leaders. northerns will most likely not know the difference, since they are not a finicky as walleyes. it is actually a good idea to put your sinkers relatively close to the hooks (5-6") because they will keep your minnow where you want it. i like to set up for eyes around a foot off the bottom.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2003, 01:54 PM »
I usually target weeds or sand flats with changing depths. In fact, usually just prior to dark, I often catch numerous nice pike (and occasionally get bit off!) while fishing these same areas. If you hit these spots on a dark, overcast day, you can catch walleye here consistently, plus an occasional pike. The walleyes usually move in at dawn and dusk, although on cloudy days they can be caught here, too. I locate these weed beds in the summer with my boat and electronics, then mark them on the lake map for winter use. However, a Vexilar flasher or Aqua-Vu can also be used to find the weeds, and in a pinch, so can a clip-on depth finder lowered down to the lake floor. The most important thing is to keep moving until you locate the weeds or flats, then cover the area with your tip-ups accordingly.

These areas will hold walleyes all season long, but first ice is especially good. I recommend setting up well before dawn or dusk, in order to let the area calm down after the noise of the power auger stirs things up a bit. These clear water 'eyes can be spooked easily, so stealth is critical to success. Give this pattern a try on a deep, clear walleye lake.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.