The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Resort for Ice Fishing in WI  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
Resort for Ice Fishing in WI
« on: Oct 30, 2020, 10:14 PM »
I would like to plan an ice fishing trip {or two} this winter. I need to find a place with decent fishing that can be found a reasonable sled drag from the landing. I'm in my 50's now and don't have an ATV, so I am limited by how far I can drag my gear. My boys and my friends don't want to go, so I'll be alone.

I was thinking maybe someplace on the Mississippi backwaters, or a smallish lake on a chain somewhere in central to northern WI.

I'm a casual ice fisherman and just use UL or L jigging rods and maybe a deadstick. I like decent action, so I usually just panfish, but a chance for a bonus gamefish would be nice. 

I don't need fancy accommodations. If the place has a bar/restaurant on the premises or a short walk/drive away, all the better. My schedule should be pretty flexible so a mid week trip might work out to avoid any weekend crowds.

Shoot me a PM if desired. Thanks.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Resort for Ice Fishing in WI
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2020, 08:28 PM »
I hardly think you could beat Water's Edge Motel in Stoddard, WI right on the shore of the Mississippi. Walk right out and fish.

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Thanks Duke M !

I appreciate it.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2020, 03:16 AM »
Shady Grove Resort on Prairie Lake (Chetek, WI)
jbird68

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2020, 06:28 AM »
X2 on the Chetek chain for the type of fishing you are looking for. Walking out for pannies is pretty easy on this chain of lakes. Lakes are stocked with walleyes. Northerns can be caught too. Lots of great places to eat (hopefully things will be open with the virus).
We really love it there. it's more of an old school fishing resort area than an uptight overpriced resort destination.

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:36 PM »
I have been looking at the Stoddard, Onalaska and French Island areas on Google maps for bait shops, access points, motels etc.
Then, I have been comparing those same areas using my Navionics app. I have the app set to display a white color for water over 10 feet deep.

Interesting stuff for sure.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Fonzie. Fishing the Mississippi River back waters you will hardly ever be fishing 10 ft. deep. Most of my ice fishing involves water from 2 to 7 feet deep. Just sayin', it's a different breed of cat over here.
Duke

Offline Stellahound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2020, 08:25 PM »
I agree with Waters Edge in Stoddard. Just got back from spending a week there duck hunting. We go fish there a couple times a season. I must admit we have had better luck in other areas of the river within a quick drive of Stoddard though. It sure is nice just walking out from the room onto the ice to fish though.

Offline Tjfaivre

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Really depends where in Wisconsin you want to go.  Lots of Great Lakes here with a lot of very accessible water.  I’m usually out ice fishing 4-5 days a week and usually by myself and most of the time targeting walleye and pike.

Where are you coming from and what part of the state do you want to fish?

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Tjfaivre,
Because of COVID-19 I have plenty of vacation hours accrued. I don't mind a long drive (if necessary) from Chicagoland to find the situation I described in my OP. The real issue is that I'm too old to be dragging my dang sled all over God's creation !
If you have any good ideas, you can private message me if you want.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2020, 10:13 AM »
I have been comparing those same areas using my Navionics app.

If you're gonna digital scout google up the USGS bathymetric maps too.  They are in my experience more accurate than Navionics(but still not perfect as the river is always changing) and easier to look at due to being a heat map versus contours.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Stoddard is within reasonable drive to onalaska and desoto bay as well....if the bite sucks just go up or down river

Catchin' Fish

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2020, 11:21 AM »
You can stay at just about any hotel/motel in NE WI and drive to a ton of landings to walk out. If you're looking at one up there, try Bent's Camp. It's on the Cisco Chain.

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2020, 01:00 PM »
You can stay at just about any hotel/motel in NE WI and drive to a ton of landings to walk out. If you're looking at one up there, try Bent's Camp. It's on the Cisco Chain.

I was on the Cisco Chain last summer (Jay's Resort). One day, I stopped by Bent's just to check it out for future reference etc. I should have chatted up the guy in the bait store about ice fishing, but it never occured to me. Oh well...

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Bent's Camp gets my vote but i live up here....
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Wanted to bring this thread back to life. Looking to take my dad for a weekend and he's got some mobility limitations and I don't have a seld or ATV. How's the fishing there at Water's Edge? Is the fishing in / around the marina decent? The fishing isn't going to be the main focus but would still like to be somewhere that will produce some fish. Thanks in advance.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:16 PM »
The big community hole there is out off the gravel landing at the south side of town.  Never actually fished right out front of the motel there but I think it's pretty shallow with a small channel running to the marina.  You might try posting your query over on Lake Link, the fishing reports section there is a LOT more lively than here. 

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:28 AM »
The big community hole there is out off the gravel landing at the south side of town.  Never actually fished right out front of the motel there but I think it's pretty shallow with a small channel running to the marina.  You might try posting your query over on Lake Link, the fishing reports section there is a LOT more lively than here.

Thanks for the info RapShack, just curious....is it quite a hike to the community hole from that gravel landing? Again, mobility is an issue so I don't want to push anything too much. Appreciate your help.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2021, 01:46 PM »
If you look on google maps you can kinda get a feel for it, you just go straight west off the landing.  There is a shallow weedy area right by the ramp but then it opens up as you get farther out.  It's not a particularly long walk but I think a couple hundred yards.  I don't hit that spot very often, but in the past there was a guy who ran basically a 4 wheeler taxi service out to some of the farther holes away from the crowd.  Not sure if he's still around, or running this year due to the kinda meh ice.  They might know at Waters Edge. 

If you want to drive up to town you can go out Fishermans Rd. to the very end and park at the turn around, walk 10 yards out and be in 6' of water with scattered weeds.  It will have been beat to piss by now, but it's super easy to get to and there's usually some sort of pannies around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.