Author Topic: glow baits........do they work?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
glow baits........do they work?
« on: Dec 29, 2003, 06:28 PM »
was watching the "edge" the other day and al mentioned pike biting glow painted sinkers off when rigging for walleye during the open water period.  he made a comment about that they don't do that with regular sinkers and i started thinking.......it has only happened a few times but i can think of a few where smallies were nipping at my sinker (carolina rig).  it must work.......my question is to what degree do they work. gimick or are they a go to lure or somewhere in the middle?
BUD

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:glow baits........do they work?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:38 PM »
Bud, Glow bait always seen to produce well for me. Even in clear water. Maybe that's why I lose all my perch jigs to pike....lol

acsacmboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:54 PM »
im pretty sure they work better than non glow in most cases. i picked up a pimple that is glow this year :D ;D :D ;D you can tell im going to have a lil fun.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:12 PM »
they definetly make a big difference at times!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:33 AM »
A few weeks ago Kishingking and I could have made a video on this very topic! They work!! Here's what happened:

Fishing dusk for crappie we were both doing pretty well. After a while we both noticed we were marking lots of fish but they would look and leave. Kishingking got out his Jig charger and gave his glow jig a charge. I believed in glow jigs but I must admit I was sceptical of the charger thing!  It was obvious this worked! He started melting the ice around his hole it was so hot. I swapped to a glow jig and got a few more bites but I still didn't seem to be getting the action my fising buddy was getting. Then he was kind enough to supercharge my jig with his little light and low and behold the fish were slamming my jigs now too. I am a true believer in the glow jig and I now also believe in the chargers that I always thoguht were a gimmic!

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:59 AM »
Yea, I believe glow baits work better,and I'll tell you from experience  add an eye to small jigs ,it also intimidates fish into biting. I used a sweedish pimple[just silver] caught afew perch, switched to a s.p.[that I bought the night before, it had glow tape strip on it, I also put a dot on the tape to look like an eye]
when it hit the bottom  they hammered it , my buddy switched to a glow strip s.p. [he sitting 8ft away from me] but without an eye on it , he increased his catch but I still caught 2 fish to his one. Now he has eyes on several of his jigs and on the spinner blades of his worm rigs[ he's convinced].
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:10 AM »
I was going to buy a charger (either the HT or the Custom Jigs n Spins one) but changed my mind the other night.  I used a simply cheap LED flashlight that I got at wallmart and it put the brightest glow on my demon that I've ever seen -  and it lasted too.  I'm putting that money toward something else (still ice tackle, LOL ::)).
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:34 AM »
I got myself a camera flash from the local camera store that had a broken shoe on it.  (Real Cheap $5)  I use that to light up my glow jigs.  I tried the Tazer lights and flashlights and the jigs just didn't hold the light long enough.  

DipLip

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:38 AM »
I love them! All species, anywhere! Be aware that there's a wide variance in terms of the intensity and quality of the phosphorescence from one manufacturer to the next! Northland and Lindy seem to use a high-end paint that takes a charge well and really stays lit.

Offline Jiggernaut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:47 AM »
Hi Bud-

I'm a bit up in the air myself on the glow thing, but it has been my experience that when I use one and my partners don't I tend to get the majority of the hits.  When searching for a jig I have to say that I lean towards the glowing jigs myself, especially on overcast days, evenings, or when the snow cover is deep on the ice.  My theory is if it adds some sort of attraction to the lure/bait, what can it hurt?  I definitely don't think that it scares the fish away!

was watching the "edge" the other day and al mentioned pike biting glow painted sinkers off when rigging for walleye during the open water period.  he made a comment about that they don't do that with regular sinkers and i started thinking.......it has only happened a few times but i can think of a few where smallies were nipping at my sinker (carolina rig).  it must work.......my question is to what degree do they work. gimick or are they a go to lure or somewhere in the middle?

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:57 AM »
I too believe in glow jigs and use them often.  But you can not relie on just this type of lure.  I fish  one lake near by that the best thing to use is a plain hook.  And I have the proof on the wall 18 in Crappie.  It is more important to be open to change than just relieing on one type of jig to do all the work.  But again I do use these glow jigs alot they are my first choice.   ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:57 AM »
I mentioned this in another post.  My opinion about color in general is that it is just one more piece of the puzzle and there are no rules that always work.  How the lure is presented and worked to entice the fish to bite along with being in the right spot (knowing where to anticipate where fish are) are much more important.  One guy getting bites when another isn't happens when people use the same lure and technique too, it's fishin'.  Every lure has a place in my box that I own and a time to take it out of the box and use it too.  The trick is picking the right one at the right place at the right time.  I nearly always use glow at night or when the ice has a lot of snow on it, but it's my preference...it's a confidence thing...but it's not an absolute rule.  People use what they have confidence in and if you put that lure in front of a fish, it will hit.

I can recall one of my buddies changing lures all day long while we were moving around to find the fish and all of a sudden, one of his combinations worked and he was into fish.  He swore it was the lure, I think it was the spot because I found a similar spot and got into them with an entirely different lure and color that day...
Kevin Wilson

DipLip

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:06 AM »
I agree 100%....find active fish on the right spot and you can catch them several different ways. Last Sunday the first 30 mins of fishing, you couldn't get your bait down the hole fast enough bfore a perch would suck it in. Glow Buckshot spoons, chartreuse 1/32oz leadheads, Glow Ants, orange Genz Worms, you name it. Then the fished left the area and NOTHING worked, because there were no fish below us.

Interesting story re: the pike biting off the glow sinkers while walleye fishing. Every winter we get pike over 10 pounds on little glow jigs while fishing perch. They seem to bite them with more frequency than stad lures BUT, bear in mind that we have glow lures down the hole most of the time! It's the old story: the best lures are the ones that spend most of there time in the water instead of in your tackle box!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:19 PM »
funny those are my go to baits most of the time too.  i like the genz worm fat boy and pounder.  the daughter uses the smallest buckshot rattler with a hali hook and chain set up.  she's 7 and has 2 in-fisherman master angler perch certificates. she loves jigging for perch and can't let go of the jigging rod.
BUD

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2003, 06:53 PM »
Thats all i see myself using is glow jigs day and night and i always seem to outfish the other guys but i am the fishingking :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:44 PM »
Fishingking: it pays to be self-aware, huh?

I use glow on 95% of my jigs, not all glow but glow spots. But, this year I have been catching more on gold. This may be because i have been fishing clear water much more.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Interesting article on this subject:

http://iceteam.com/2004annual/glowvalue.htm
Kevin Wilson

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:55 PM »
 Figure this one out!! Went fishing the other nite to where I caught some crappies,the week before and was catching them on just a yellow teardrop & silver, tipped with a waxie. Caught about 15 in about 30mins. (4:30 to 5) Then after it got pitch black out, I switched to a genz worm. They were attracted to it but wouldn't hit it. Switched back to my teardrop and started catching them again! Go figure!~ ???
TEAM  PA.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Glow airplane jigs.  Glow demons.  Glow ratfinkies.  Glow genz worms.  Glow tubes.  Glow foxee jigs.  Glow buzz bombs.  Glow kastmasters.  Glow fuzzy grubs.  Yep, everything in my tackle box except marrabou crappie jigs has a glow to it.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:15 AM »
I've used the Northland buckshot spoons for perch in most of the glow and plain patterns, and do best with glow, especially the perch pattern. Early morning shows the biggest difference, less throughout the day. That may say something to the nature of the bite as well, being more aggressive early, they strike at what they see soonest. As they get more finicky, presentation probably takes over. I've also done well on crappies with glow, hard to tell with bluegills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.