Author Topic: Any luck this weekend?  (Read 622 times)

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any luck this weekend?
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I managed to take the youngsters to Chena Lakes for about 3 hours Saturday...after the non-stop action on the previous trip I thought we'd do ok...my daughter caught one small fish and that was it, but talk about a nice day to be outside.

I had the kids (3 and 5 years old) fishing shallow with a jighead with shrimp (or eggs) and a small scud pattern hanging off of a dropper loop a foot abve the jig all of that under a slip bobber, while I fished deep with big spoons...anyone found any big fish in there? I saw a few interested parties on the flasher down 15 - 20 feet but couldn't generate a strike. Tried lots of different lures and baits and everything from active jigging to nothing at all...nothing beyond circling interest from the fish...it's possible they were just little fish down deep and my hook size was too big, but my guess is they were somewhat larger fish that just weren't biting. Any tips out there?

KP - how was the weekend at Birch?

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
Re: Any luck this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Got to Birch in the early afternoon Friday, fishing was slow Friday night. Saturday morning was real good between 8 and 10 AM then things slowed down, mostly char and a few rainbows. We had about 3" of new snow and the fishing slowed down as the clouds cleared out. Caught one nice rainbow after changing lures and putting on fresh bait late Saturday afternoon. He had my little ice rod bent tip to butt while stripping line. Went about 16" and goes in the pan for dinner tonight. Didn't fish on Sunday, we ran out of propane for the heater sometime after we left the shack Saturday night so we just decided to pack up and head back to town. Good friends, good food and cold beer, with a few fish thrown in, it just don't get any better than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.