Author Topic: Where is everyone? The Alaska section is dormant.  (Read 8273 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Where is everyone? The Alaska section is dormant.
« on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Is any one fishing?  Is any one home?  I hope eveyone is on the ice and just does not have time to go on line because the fishing is too good!

Help me Icy-Wan-Kenobi... your my only hope.

IM

Offline summitx

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Where is everyone? The Alaska section is dormant.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2004, 10:59 PM »
I'm here, just stuck at work, hope to try the ice up by trapper creek area in about 2 weeks when I get off. Any reports about ice condtions yet.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2004, 06:10 PM »
Most of the Mat-Su area small lakes have 4-6 inches.  I have seen guys fishing on Lucille for the last week or so.  I went out to Memory Lake yesterday (didn't fish- just scouting) and there were a couple of guys there as well.  They did not speak english so I can't tell you how the fishing was.  I also went up to Big Lake.  It is completely frozen and I saw some foot tracks going out but saw no one fishing.  Even saw some snowmachine tracks out there as well.  Planning on hitting either Memory or Big Lake on Friday or Saturday (hopefully both).

Icy Mike

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2004, 08:42 AM »
Hey icy mike, I would like to see more activity in The Alaska forum too. BarleyDog used to post here fairly frequently but I think he is stationed in Iraq right now. God bless him and all our service men and women. Where do you live in AK icy mike? Many years ago, I was stationed at Ft Greeley down by Delta Junction. Beautiful country. I'm still kicking myself for not taking advantage of the great fishing AK has to offer. But who would want to catch some great fish only to have some Mess Sgt screw it up.
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2004, 03:25 PM »
I did not realize BarleyDog was in the service.  Let's hope he comes back soon.  I live about an hour north of Anchorage in the booming Mat-Su Valley.  Kind of disappointing that the Alaska Forum is so inactive- especially since we have plenty of ice to fish!!  Go figure ???.  Hopefully this will result in less people on the ice and more fish for me.

IM

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2004, 09:11 PM »
Icymike, we are all in Alberta, land of oil, gas & money, just like yourselves!!!!! ;D ;D, and busy like hell!!!

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2004, 11:13 AM »
We are going to try Flathorn this Saturday.  We froze a whole bunch of hooligan over the summer to use for northerns.  I can't wait to see how they work.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2004, 11:59 AM »
TheCommonMan-You will have to forgive someone who lives in the lower 48, but what the h*** are hooligan? Don't remember hearing that term when I lived in AK.
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2004, 02:16 PM »
Hi there, Dirtball2.  Hooligan are also called "candle fish" because they are pretty oily and I am told that the natives would use the oil for candles or lamps.  I beleive they are almost identical to smelt, but they look a little bigger to me than the smelt we used to net in Lake Superior.  They are about 10" long and very slim.  My plan is to break 'em in half when baiting my hooks.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Yeah where are you Fisherman Jake? I'm looking forward to a little burbot competition at the tourney ;)

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2004, 05:33 PM »
Good question....just where is Fishmanjake??...has anyone heard from Barleydog yet....last i heard his tour was sometime this month...but couldnt give out any more info either..hope alls well and he gets access to a computor to update everyone...Grump

Offline jeffv

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2004, 01:39 AM »
I hit Irene Lake here in the valley last week, ice was only about 5-6 inches thick about 50 ft from shore.  Beyond that it was really sketchy, very clear and looked super thin.  Picked up the usual landlocked and a couple small char.  Had one monster hit though.  Maybe another muskrat, caught one in there last year on a swedish pimple.   

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2004, 07:12 PM »
No safe ice on kodiak yet, i hope it comes soon.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2004, 08:39 PM »
Went out on Big Lake today- rainy and windy- skunked.  Neighbor caught a nice burbot.  Try again next week if it gets colder.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2004, 01:33 AM »
Icy Mike:  I read on the Wisconsin board that you are from Point.  What years were you at Eau Claire?  I grew up in Chippewa Falls and went to Stout (a few years after I got booted from E.C.).  I am in Chugiak now.

"Point Beer. "It's not just for breakfast anymore"

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2004, 01:41 AM »
Hey Common Man,
I was in Eau Claire from 93-early 96.  I fished the Eau Claire River a lot, Lake Altoona, Coon Fork Flowage, Lake Amicoy (near Bruce), Clear Lake, Potato Lake, etc...  I miss the walleye, crappie, and pan fish, but not enough to move back.  What brings you up here?

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2004, 10:59 AM »
I came here via Washington, D.C. and Anaheim, California working for Hilton.  I was in Eau Claire from 86-89.  Potato Lake and the Chetek chain is awesome fishing.  We fished Marshmiller a lot, along with hundreds of other people, but we could always catch fish.  I can't believe how that lake always produces.  When I am back for Christmas I hope to fish the St. Croix flowage near Gordon.  What brings you to AK?

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2004, 01:55 PM »
I was stationed at Elmendorf from 88-92.  When I was discharged from the service I finished up college in Eau Claire, lived in Waupun for about 5 years (Beaver Dam Lake- whatta crappie hot spot!) and then moved back here in 2000.  Missed it too much and had to come back.  The wife was all for it so I took advantage.  Now I'm living in Palmer, work full time for the state, and on-call with Palmer Fire Dept. 

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2004, 05:36 PM »
Cool.  Here is the real question:  Are you a Polar, Atomic, or Beaver Dam guy?

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Beaver Dam hands-down!  I love the classic wood design.  I have a few that are from the 50's or 60's that I bought in an auction back in Wis.  The guy had his name and address put on steel tags that he fastened to the wood.  I left the tags on for nostalgia sake.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Amen on the Beaver Dams.  My dad put metal tags on his back in the day.  That's definitely old school and I was thinking about doing that with mine instead of using the Sharpe maker.  I have an anniversary Beaver Dam with a green flag.  When that goes up, everyone knows that one's mine.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2004, 04:26 PM »
I put two strips of reflective tape on my flags for fishing at nite.  If the strips are vertical the flag is down, if they are horizontal the flag is up.  Just use a flash lite to check them.  I also have some of the tip up lites with the mercury switches in them but not enough for all the tip ups.  I had one flag blow off in a heavy wind so I used a Wal Mart bag.  Every one knows that one is mine ;D.  You may want to check out Chimo Guns in Wasilla as well.  I haven't been in there for a while but I think they carry some ice fishing equipment.

Icy Mike

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:32 PM »
Heh icy mike. What do you guys fish up there at night?

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2004, 01:11 AM »
Hey there, The Common Man here.  I don't fish at night per se, but it doesn't get light out until almost 10:00am and then gets dark a little after 3:00pm.  It's helpful to be able to see your flags.  Alot of guys fish for burbot and some fish for Northerns at night.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2004, 07:24 AM »
Yeah it gets light about 8am here and dark at 4pm. I fish for burbot at night and rainbows. Don't have any northerns in the areas I fish.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:56 AM »
What area do you fish?  Do you have walleyes?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2004, 04:01 PM »
North central BC. No walleyes. If I go north a few hrs there is pike, perch and walleyes.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2004, 04:49 PM »
I wish i had the variety of mainland alaska, nothin but rainbows and landlocked silvers here.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:54 PM »
I am suprised you don't have Northern Pike there.  Those darn things seem to be everywhere and they are pretty tenacious.  Any size to the rainbows on Kodiak?

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2004, 12:46 AM »
Heck ya, I just keep my mouth shut but since most there are not many kodiak rainbow or icefisherman on the forum i feel safe. The amount of rainbow fisherman year long here is pretty low and that is good because none of out lakes are that big and can't compare in numbers and size as that mat su but kodiak definitely has the edge in terms of fishing pressure. There are 27 lakes on kodiak that have bows most have no more than 3/4 of a mile in shoreline and most see no more than 10 different fisherman a year. I only know 4 people who fish the lakes consistently in summer, myself a friend named Stig, Brett and the local legend Hank Pennington. Myself and Brett are the only ones who consistently ice fish. I went ice fishing over 50 days last year and never saw anyone but brett. As for the size of fish they are pretty big considering the size of the lakes, probably due to the little pressure and amazing numbers of leeches and sticklebacks. There are a lot of 10 to 12 inchers in many lakes but a few you will average 16 inchers and there are lots of giants. Last summer i caught 30 bows over 3 pounds and about 10 over 8. I caught 10 6 plus pounders ice fishing last year and 40 between 1 and 3. I don't know if this is as productive as the mat su or the lower 48 all i know it's pretty awesome that the lakes are so small and easy to fish and that i never see anyone but one person. Something special about having a productive lake all to yourself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.