Author Topic: Marcum VX-1i or Humminbird ICE 35?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum VX-1i or Humminbird ICE 35?
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Looking at purchasing either one or the other.  Any advice on which to go with?  Thanks
DILLY DILLY

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum VX-1i or Humminbird ICE 35?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:13 PM »
check repair rates on both. i think it is about 100$ difference.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Marcum ...20 deg... bottom zoom... case bag included

Hummingbird... 20/9 deg cone ...adjustable zoom...no case bag rebate til December 31st

https://www.humminbird.com/uploadedFiles/Content/Category/Support/FAQ/2017-ICE-Promotion-Editable.pdf

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Don't know much about the Hummingbird, but the VX-1 is pretty much bullet proof.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:54 PM »
never fished a bird but I would try that before I bought another Marcum.those model vx 1 pros are prone to motor failure.ive had 2 vx1 pros go bad and a lx3tc all went out under warranty in less than 6 months.maybe I would try the new versions but not the older ones.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I bought my VX-1i (not the VX-1 Pro) 2 seasons ago and it has been fantastic. It’s still like new and the battery is good to go (checked today actually). I’ve never used the Hummingbird but I’ve also heard good things about it. I don’t see either giving you much issues at all so I’d go with the one you want more over the other whether that is due to features or price.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Check the equipment/electronics discussions. Look if people are having trouble with Marcum or Birds. That should tell you everything.
It must be something in the water.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:14 PM »
LX5 since Sept 2006. Not one hiccup.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:23 PM »
My Ice 55's been trouble free for 5 years now.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:24 PM »
I got a marcum and vex....like em both....never used a hummingbird and I don't c many on the ice....may be one....been ice fishing like 15 years or so....good luck on the hunt...mike
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Online clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:29 PM »
I own 2 Ice 55 and a Ice 45 plus a Vex fl18, no problems with any of them.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:17 PM »
have had my vx1p for 4 years and it has been flawless

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:29 PM »
never fished a bird but I would try that before I bought another Marcum.those model vx 1 pros are prone to motor failure.ive had 2 vx1 pros go bad and a lx3tc all went out under warranty in less than 6 months.maybe I would try the new versions but not the older ones.
They did motor issues for a year or so......I have 1 that is 10yrs old and my son-in-law has last years model.....Both work flawlessly........ 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:46 PM »
They did motor issues for a year or so......I have 1 that is 10yrs old and my son-in-law has last years model.....Both work flawlessly........
yeah I think around 2011 to 2014 were bad for motors that's about when the 3 I had were from.i had a original vx1 before they bumped up the wattage and added pro to its name that I sold to a buddy years ago and its still working.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:51 PM »
more info on brand popularity here at the shanty:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331371.0

as you can see by popular vote birds are not really in the equation. what this also means is that there are four times more marcums in the field, then there can be four times higher chances for things to go wrong or people posting issues with that brand over a brand hardly anyone uses. so the forums are a great resource if you know what is really going on.

some people have bad luck. i have an hb ice-55 that died and always had center display digital black out glitches about every minute or so. the motor died in it and the on/off/depth switch was bad. it costs 180$ to have it fixed. they only fixed the motor and none of the rest of it. not good service or reliability at all. i sent in twice to try to get the rest of it repaired and they said no after they got it in their hands.

marcum units will cost 75$ dollars after warranty. so hb is the one that will cost you an extra 100$ each time it needs help and keep your fingers crossed that they actually fix it when the have it.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:05 PM »
have had my vx1p for 4 years and it has been flawless

Same here, my vx1p keeps chugging away without a hiccup.  Had a battery go bad, and I do admit the marcum charger sucks.  If they are prone to having bad motors, perhaps that issue has been addressed in the new models.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Thanks guys, will keep researching both.
DILLY DILLY

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:28 AM »
I think you need to ask yourself a few questions:  What depth are you fishing in, and do you want to see any suspended fish.  I have the Marcum LX-1(over 14 yrs old and no issues) and don't have that option to see suspended.  The VX-1 has bottom zoom only (I think).  I fish in anywhere from 10' - 40'.  I recently purchased the LX3 tci and love it.  Adjustable zoom is a good feature. 

I really don't see the Hummingbirds around this area much, but they are pushing the market hard, so alot of guys are starting to use them. 

Once you have decided on what features you really need, make a trip to a Cabelas, Reeds or Thorne Bros and talk to the folks there.  Stay with what you can afford and need.  The bells and whistles on the other units are there to distract.  The higher level units all have great features, but what will you use it for should be your main concern. 

Good Luck and Tight Lines!!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:13 AM »
i think the marcum has just sharper more crisp lines in either regular mode or zoom.  the bird has moveable zoom and dual frequency which acts as a dual cone angles but from my use, wide angle in deeperwater wasn't very useful.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Thanks guys.  I should have mentioned that I'll be using it primarily in 5-6 feet of muddy water using it for walleyes and the occasional pike.
DILLY DILLY

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:56 AM »
I have been using the Ice 45 for about 5 years with no issues or failure.  I find that I can pick fish out of the shallow weeds easily by switching to the narrower cone.   I also like that the flat display does not collect snow and s large and easily seen.  I got mine with the case included at no extra charge for about $400 so they haven't gone up in price.  A marcum 1 probably is not a good comparison.  I would buy at least the Marcum 3 if you were to decide on Marcum..

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I should have mentioned that I'll be using it primarily in 5-6 feet of muddy water using it for walleyes and the occasional pike.

i think the marcum is what i'd recommend in this instance.  i think the screen is sharper. especially in shallow water.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:24 PM »
I got an Ice 35 last year. Love it and no issues. Just had it out on the ice this weekend and it picked out perch on the bottom in 18 ft of water.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.