Author Topic: Anyone Fished 3 Vexilars in one hut?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline tscott1632

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone Fished 3 Vexilars in one hut?
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Last year my buddy got a vexilar and we experienced a bit of interference and now my other friend picked up a vexilar as well so now we will have 3 in the hut. Does anyone have any experience with this? How bad will this be?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Anyone Fished 3 Vexilars in one hut?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Good Video when fishing multiple units

Vexilar FAQ

You will have a hard time getting rid of interference if everyone randomly presses their I.R. button at the same.  Have only one I.R. button being pressed at a time and remember to communicate with each other and be systematic in this process.

1.     First turn all units off. 
2.     Turn two units back on and have one person press their I.R. button until both units are clear.
3.     If there is a third unit turn it on and press the I.R. button until the display is clear between all three units. 
4.     If there is still interference at this point you may have to start the process over again and use a different starting I.R. level.

Once you get four units or more it is almost impossible to get rid of all interference so try to reach a level of interference you can accept.  Keeping your gain as low as possible will greatly help to reduce the amount of interference the receiver is open to.  You can also try using a transducer with a narrower cone angle on one or all the units

You can raise or lower the transducer cable to reduce some interference by changing the cones angle area ...but try the IR button first ...then change cone angle if possible
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Ive done three can be done.... though may take a little patience and dont fish close to anyone else with vexilar s.....
Good advice posted above
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Do it all the time good points from Gord.   #1 though is put them on low power....we even use 4 in a snobear..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:15 PM »
We run 4 in the wheel house

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:59 PM »
ive fished next to a fl20,28 and fl8se in a shappell widehouse 6500 with little interference.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Was in one of the big rental "party" shacks last winter with 4 vexilars.  They didnt have much trouble until I showed up with my marcum, for whatever reason that made some of the vexes go wonky.  We got em running together though, took turns hitting the ir until it smoothed theirs out.  I never had a problem with my marcum though, just the vexilars went nuts.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:12 PM »
That's why I don't let marcums in my shack  ;D, no problem in my wheelhouse with 4 vex's, had a humminbird in there a couple times last year with a little extra interference but not bad. Weird how the marcums mess with the vex's...
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 05:00 AM »
I am that one Marcum guy in the middle of the Vex's...I mean I got corner hole now.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2017, 05:13 AM »
I wouldn't even bother. I'm a loner. Would move off on my own.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:49 AM »
yeah, them Marcums remind me of that squealin brat at the next table at the restaurant. drives everyone NUTS. lol wire

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:15 AM »
yeah, them Marcums remind me of that squealin brat at the next table at the restaurant. drives everyone NUTS. lol wire

I consider a Vex to be like a nagging wife. I can tune them out! ::)

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:02 PM »
No marcums allowed in my house.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:56 AM »
weeellll, if 1 of you guys was to offer me a new marcum 9 with a camera ,n, a case, i,d swallow my pride ,n, become the village outcast . lol wire

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:25 AM »
I simply move away from the Marcum guys, or tell them to get out of here with THAT thing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I fished with my buddy who had just purchased a Marcum 5i...we were in 20 fow and about 25 feet apart ..I started seeing some flickers on the screen of my  Vexilar FL18...at first I thought it was fish ...then realized it was interference..after asking him to turn his unit off...I did go through my IR functions to get rid of the noise.   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I simply move away from the Marcum guys, or tell them to get out of here with THAT thing.

You serious? If you are, that is one of the most arrogant statements I've seen on this forum. If you are just trying to be humorous,  I apologise.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:59 AM »
 If the truth is arrogant them call me guilty. My vex just doesn't get along with those units no matter how many times I hit the interference button. It's easy to just walk away, maybe you should try it.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:04 AM »
If the truth is arrogant them call me guilty. My vex just doesn't get along with those units no matter how many times I hit the interference button. It's easy to just walk away, maybe you should try it.

First and foremost I have manners. I would never set up that close to anyone to begin with. Second, if I was there first, and you moved in and started complaining about my Marcum, let's just say you wouldn't like my response.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:09 AM »
 Manners? Don't get that vibe.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:12 AM »
Manners? Don't get that vibe.

Walking away. Let the members decide who has the manners.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Is 3 Vexilars the magic number where people start having problems? My 9 y.o. son and I have fished two identical FL-18s in a Nanook for the past 3 years (this will be the 4th), and I can't say I've ever had to hit the IR. Settings are identical on both.

I have however been sitting quite a ways from a buddy with an LX-7 and had mine light up, but I hit the IR once and all was good. Just to be clear that's not a complaint from me about Marcums, they work just as well and if I have to tap a button a couple times that's not too serious to me.

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:43 PM »
We have fished 3 vex units along with a marcum in a small house.  There is interference, but you can work through it. Depending on water depth and cone angle, you can actually "share" a unit between two guys and solve the problem entirely.  I usually just rely on my superior angling skills to compensate for the interference....he he he...joking...this thread needs to lighten up....

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Yep.....I got a marcum and vex like em both.. Got them at good price they both function proper.... Vx I and fl 8....don't understand y everybody gets so touchy with the flashers man....main thing is take care of ur gear....if u got interference share or get some space in between...later mike
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:25 PM »
....don't understand y everybody gets so touchy with the flashers man....main thing is take care of ur gear....if u got interference share or get some space in between...later mike

People get worked up because flashers are expensive to buy and people justify the cost by exaggerating their practical value. When someone else starts poking holes in their safe little mental bubble they get POed

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Well said....but dang....I got the vex for 150 and marcum for 225...Werth every penny don't need them crazy hi klass units....but they sure r pretty

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Well said....but dang....I got the vex for 150 and marcum for 225...Werth every penny don't need them crazy hi klass units....but they sure r pretty

I run a helix 7 G2, but my fancy unit goes on the boat come summer, really spreading the investment out to justify the cost haha

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Good for u buck a roo....ur totally awesome....hope ur season is super productictive....be well mike @) ;) ;D

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2017, 04:07 PM »
This interference stuff you guys are discussing I experience when using my Humminbird 798 I've rigged for ice and my Vex 18 within about 20 ft of each other and using the IR doesn't help a lot so I just choose one unit or the other. My concern now is that Santa is probably gonna bring me a Marcum 485 camera this year. Shouldn't be any negative effects of sonar on camera stuff should there? I've never even looked at a fish cam before so very new to this kind of toy!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2017, 04:43 PM »
This interference stuff you guys are discussing I experience when using my Humminbird 798 I've rigged for ice and my Vex 18 within about 20 ft of each other and using the IR doesn't help a lot so I just choose one unit or the other. My concern now is that Santa is probably gonna bring me a Marcum 485 camera this year. Shouldn't be any negative effects of sonar on camera stuff should there? I've never even looked at a fish cam before so very new to this kind of toy!

Never had any problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.