Author Topic: Electric Fillet knife  (Read 1137 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Electric Fillet knife
« on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Two years ago I bought an electric fillet knife at walleyworld, one of the best tools I ever bought for $25.  It runs off the house 120v or the pick up truck 12v battery (very handy)   Everyone that fishes larger fish than  tiny panfishes should have one.
When the wife asks what you would like for Christmas, tell her a new auger, new shelter, new fish finder, but when the kids ask, hit 'um up for an electric fillet knife for Christmas.
Thread killer

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Electric Fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:31 PM »
My Dad is very good with one. We clean perch all the time with little loss.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline mike r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:58 PM »
my brother is very good with his i bought one last year just really getting use to it but my brother can do 5 fish to my one with fillet knife and he dont lose nothing

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Finally gave a rest to my 1/2 dozen fillet knives last season.  The ole eyes and fingers aren't as sharp & nimble as yesteryear. Purchased an electric one last season. Still getting "used" to it., but happy for the change.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:22 PM »
If you clean a bunch of fish electric is th way to go. Have been using an AA for 20+ years.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:10 PM »
when you are looking straight at a couple of 5 gallon buckets of gills and crappie and catfish it is a game changer for sure.  once you get the hang of it you can really whip thru some fish for sure. 

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:21 PM »
I've had a Rapala electric knofe for several years, but don't use it because of an apparent defect.  The activation switch does not make good contact, resulting n the motor not starting all the tiem. If I fool around with it, it will start for a short time ( 5-10 seconds) and then stop.  Any body else have one of these Rapalas???  Any problems with yours???

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:29 PM »
i have had and wore out a few of them in the past.  i also had one that did the same thing as you say.  it did it right outta the gate and i took it apart and it was a bad connection and fixed it and it ran for quite a few years for me. 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Easy to fix,it just the contact Soldering will fix that.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:38 PM »
i have the mr twister knife, it is heavy and grip is not nice. wore out the switch in one year. hope to get the american angler pro soon.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Ten years ago I bought 2 Black & Decker , this year it’s starting to get hot so I may get the new 1 out , they were $10.00 back then ,, I had an American angler  , for me it was not comfortable and awkward so I gave it to a bud that does pig roasts and he loved it

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Asked for the rapala lithium cordless knife for Christmas,hope I like it

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I used a corded Mister Twister for a few years then got  a lithium battery Rapala. I like them both but the battery powered is handier.

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Ten years ago I bought 2 Black & Decker , this year it’s starting to get hot so I may get the new 1 out , they were $10.00 back then ,, I had an American angler  , for me it was not comfortable and awkward so I gave it to a bud that does pig roasts and he loved it
I also used to use an American angler until i bought a black&decker at walmart. B&D is faster and only $13. Works excellent!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:02 PM »
I like them for big fish like pike, salmon and walleye but not panfish.  I don't like cutting gut pockets and thru ribs and have to cut out ribs afterwards.im better with a regular fillet knife and cut just the meat off and leave the guts intact in the fish.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I like them for big fish like pike, salmon and walleye but not panfish.  I don't like cutting gut pockets and thru ribs and have to cut out ribs afterwards.im better with a regular fillet knife and cut just the meat off and leave the guts intact in the fish.
Limit of lake trou is 8, all around 22-34 inches, the fillet knife makes shorter work of getting the bones and skin from the meat. Very handy for what I do the majority of the time.
Thread killer

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Both methods have a time and a place. I don't see a need for an electric knife on a walleye personally. Electric knifes are a mess, for those set up in the garage or basement I could see using one all the time if there is a hose close. I use my blade for panfish and walleye, I hit my whitebass with the mister twister. But I need a couple wet beach towels to keep up with the guts and scales all over my board.

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:49 PM »
If Buck doesn't make it I don't own it !!
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Same here, they do a great job and for $10 you can’t beat ‘em.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Just picked up a rapala today. Old mister twister burned up after 5 years and hundreds of fish. B&Ds get hot and don’t hold up. Wouldn’t go without electric on panfish. Still use a blade on walleye.

Offline Linc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:44 AM »
I have a Mr. Twister corded electric knife and have been using for over 20yrs. I have had to do a little jerry rigging a few times to keep it running. The plastic retainers for the blade locks had broken off. Other than that I needed to buy replacement blades for it last year. They seem to bog down with larger heavier boned fish but I just switch to high speed and get the job done.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:10 AM »
My Mr. Twister is well over 20 years old also.  On it third set of blades.  I am sure it has cleaned several thousand perch and crappie over the years.  Love it.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:50 AM »
I haven't made the jump to an electric yet.
After reading this thread I think I'm going to get one.
It has to be quicker.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I have both the Rapala and the Mr. Twister. I actually prefer the Mr. Twister and it's less expensive.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:02 PM »
I have two Mr. Twisters and used the heck out of them. I don't have a garage. I generally clean my fish outside. The battery powered Rapala is handy. No cords, no worries about electrocution if the ground is wet. I have yet to drain the battery but I've only used it half a dozen times. So far so good. It is a little pricey though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.