Author Topic: How many setups?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: How many setups?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:49 PM »

I think I got about 35 ice poles....tip ups......guessing around 20.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:37 PM »
So I went to count some of my rods.  I just found out that I have forgotten that I own two of the St Croix Premier 42" M spinning rods.

Wanna sell them? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:47 PM »
I don't even want to dig em out and round em up, to count the ones I own...

But I'll hit the ice with as many as ten, rods and two tipups..

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:25 PM »
sounds like another case is in order

That or get a length of pvc about 10 foot by 2 inch slice rings out of the pvc..   then how I do it is drill the small hole stright threw with a long drill bit then drill out bigger hole  on one side . Get a box of scres and screw the pvc rings to the floor joists in the basement..  like side by side each ring ..

if ice rods are all you got then you don't have to space them like soft water casting rods like every other joist you have pvc rings..  but with ice gear it from one joist to the other real tight spacing.. slide tip in then slide the butt in and let them hang up..

by the way don't do this in garage!! the summer heat if it's not air conditioned will wreck most fiber glass and grapHite blanks  .. make them very brittle and easily broken.. just a heads up.. 

Offline jgillibrand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:19 AM »
We have 18 so 3 of us can fish with 6 each where allowed.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:36 AM »
We are allowed 5 holes here in Idaho.  Depending on what I am fishing for I usually set out 3 or 4 tip ups and jig or bait fish with 1 or 2 rods.  Fishing for pike I usually fish with 5 tip ups.   In my cave I have 5 tip ups rigged for trout,  5 more rigged for Pike and 5 or 6 short rods.  Open water gear is a story by itself.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2017, 11:21 PM »
I usually pre tie about 6, we are allowed 2 lines at once here through the ice.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't feel like I have a problem at all.............well not a big one anyway. Here in CO we are only allowed 2 but when I head to Flaming Gorge we can use 6 so I'm going with that as my need for the setups. Slayer, we need to get out this year. Planning on the Bash at Flaming Gorge this year again so will get use out of the Jawjackers and extra setups.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Thanks guys. I don't feel like I have a problem at all.............well not a big one anyway. Here in CO we are only allowed 2 but when I head to Flaming Gorge we can use 6 so I'm going with that as my need for the setups. Slayer, we need to get out this year. Planning on the Bash at Flaming Gorge this year again so will get use out of the Jawjackers and extra setups.

Hey we're thinking of hitting Boysen in January.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2017, 05:28 PM »
...i have uh... 16 setups.
 :-X

half of them are loaners to share with the folks i take fishing, but that means that even on solo trips i carry 8 rods out on the ice with me.
mostly, this is the technical fisherman in me. each rod is rigged for a different situation i might encounter, and basically all it does is make it so i don't spend as much time tying knots.
i don't intend to reduce the number of rods i own. in fact, i have plans to add at least two, maybe three more rods to my arsenal this season.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:30 PM »
If a setup consists of a rod/reel combo + a trap.... I would have one setup most days and rarely would I have two.

My stuff:
30” TUCR Bullwhip w/ Shimano Sedona 1000 + 3# Suffix Ice Magic
30” TUCR Precision Noodle w/ Shimano Sienna 500 + 3# Suffix Ice Magic
30” TUCR Precision Noodle w/ Abu Garcia Cardinal SX5 + 3# Suffix Ice Magic
32” homebuilt SD extreme glass taper w/ Abu Garcia Cardinal SX10 + 3# Suffix Ice Magic

2 HT Original Polar tipups with either 30# or 50# Mason tipup line - one 200yd one 500yd. I need to replace the 500yd spool because the edge chiped last season so I’m down to one for the time being.

I mostly fish alone and in Michigan we are allowed 3 lines/6 hooks in any combination. I will usually fish two holes with my rods and set a tip up out for my third line so I really don’t need more than one tipup. Sometimes if I really want to catch some pike I’ll set out my second tipup and hole hop with my rod.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:40 PM »
I mostly fish alone and in Michigan we are allowed 3 lines/6 hooks in any combination. I will usually fish two holes with my rods and set a tip up out for my third line so I really don’t need more than one tipup. Sometimes if I really want to catch some pike I’ll set out my second tipup and hole hop with my rod.

Same here, three seems like alright number for poles, I'd like to be allowed a few tipups too...

But when its that slow, ten poles won't catch the same fish two poles won't..

And when its at the best, one pole is plenty lol..

<°)))>{

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:48 PM »
I think I'm up to a dozen rod and reel combos. Should be set for life, but I keep looking. I think guys buy ice gear like women buy shoes. They already have more than they need, but always seem to find something they like better and have to have it. :-\

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:15 AM »
6 for me.  I have two longer pulsators for shallow water hole hopping, two shorter HT rods with spring bobbers and the schooley reels, and two spinning setups for deeper water or shallow perch. I also have 4 tip downs and 8 or so tipups. Don't really see a reason to have any more rods, probably 75% of the time I end up using my one pulsator.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Ice Scratcher is right about 1 pole not catching as many as 10. I carry about 6 when I go out, but I usually use only 1. The others are rigged and ready if my line breaks, or I want to switch lures. It is a lot easier to grab another rod than it is to re tie, in the wind, poor light, cold hands etc. These old eyes can't see that light line like they did years ago.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I travel pretty light. I have a soft case with five rods and one tip up. I can only have two down so I usually set the tip up and then jig with one of the five.

I am thinking of expanding the number of rods. I often sit on a bucket with no shelter down to the teens below zero so I am not a fan of having to retie with cold hands. I try to predict what I need before I go out, but it doesn't always work.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:58 AM »
If its just me, and Im walking, i'll have 4 or 5 poles and 4 tip ups....That will usually get me through the day.  I'll have a couple noodle rods, a couple just a bit heavier, and a pole for jigging spoons for walleyes.  I can have 5 lines, so depending on the bit, I may set out a couple of tip ups....

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I counted over 40 the last time I checked.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:58 PM »
My standard arsenal for gills n crappie...

<°)))>{

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:19 PM »
My standard arsenal for gills n crappie...

<°)))>{

There’s something slightly magical in that photo :) Very nostalgic. Reminds me of when my brother starting taking me ice fishing in the early 90’s. He was taught old school and I learned everything I know on schooley’s. If I’m not fishing my TUCR’s I prefer a schooley....go figure lol.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:24 PM »
There’s something slightly magical in that photo :) Very nostalgic. Reminds me of when my brother starting taking me ice fishing in the early 90’s. He was taught old school and I learned everything I know on schooley’s. If I’m not fishing my TUCR’s I prefer a schooley....go figure lol.
I  bite, what's a schooley?
Thread killer

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:37 PM »
The style of rods in the photo. Just a basic, stout, fiberglass rod with a spring bobber and a top-mounted sideways inline reel called a De-Ma-Reel. The design goes back decades and they work very well for panfish. Not to mention the whole setup can be had for ~$5. For the price and function they can’t be beat and because of that a lot of guys still swear by them.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:40 PM »
I remember rods and reels like these. We  graduated up to them after we mastered the ones with the wooden handles that had two wooden pegs or even nails in them. We never used the older ones that were just a wooden handle, like the green hornet. :)
Thread killer

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:23 AM »
I remember rods and reels like these. We  graduated up to them after we mastered the ones with the wooden handles that had two wooden pegs or even nails in them. We never used the older ones that were just a wooden handle, like the green hornet. :)

What about this?? Know what it is??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:28 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

It looks just a touch above what some use around here when driving around the lake.......a 20oz Mountain Dew bottle would replace that wooden line winder

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #55 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:19 AM »
All my old soup can setups were so rusty, they've been tossed out.  ;D

I don't think I would be any good trying one of them anymore.  Now that I think about it, I should've at least used a tall plastic drinking cup. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:14 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I have a few of those too... Never used them though...

<°)))>{

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I  bite, what's a schooley?

Here you go!   http://www.schooleyicetackle.com/  Besides a couple of in-line and spinning outfits, I have two Schooley spring bobber poles and one is always in my bucket. I also have two rods with Schooley reels taped on handles.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I have a few of those too... Never used them though...

<°)))>{

Ya we all do around here have those chugging sticks.. for bounce lead off bottom it seems I was wondering how far west they know about chugging when I asked that ??? We even use them in winter with a hook and bobber and some 4 to 8 pound lune for perch wrappend around the chugging stick .. just remember there's different  whiping and chugging are .. that why I was wondering how far west and how fast info travels lol's ..I know they use similar set up in Alaska for trout pike etc.. the native to Alaska do same  as our chugging sticks ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.