Author Topic: Evo 2 to suitcase  (Read 2611 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Evo 2 to suitcase
« on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:53 PM »
If anyone remembers, last year I purchased a brand new Eskimo Evo 2. I still really like the design, but the durability just isn't there. The first day I took it out was around Christmas, and it was destroyed by February. The seat swivels lost their bearings, the top hub wouldn't stay popped out, and the sled wore a nice hole through, even though it had never seen anything but snow and ice. The final breaking point was when a pole ripped right out the bottom corner. After all that Eskimo was so swamped with warranty calls, it took me a week just to reach a person, and had to argue just to get it fixed. All said and done, I did end up with basically a brand new fish house, that I have not taken out of the box yet. To those who get any Eskimo shelter, GET THE SLED RUNNER KIT. The sleds are paper thin, and Eskimo stated multiple times that they would not warranty my sled because I did not have the runners on it. I finally moaned about it long enough they sent me a new one. By that time the season was well over for me. Pretty poor considering this all happened within 90 days of purchase, but I digress. I'm not here to complain.

I have actually been thinking of switching strategies. I thought I wanted to go with a flip over, but that just doesn't seem to be my style. When I'm searching for fish, I don't even use a house. Eventually when I decide to sit and fish, I stay in one spot for quite a while. I've fished from a hub for many years before this Evo 2 crossover, and know I don't want another hub style. A flip over works, but lacks space, and costs more. I used to fish with a suitcase (cabin) style house, and I actually liked it. I have a truck, and a trailer, so space is not an issue. What I am thinking is building a smitty sled depending on what I buy. I really like the idea of a canvas craft insulated, but at $640 just for the kit, I don't know if that's in the works. I see some Clam 5600's on CL for pretty cheap that I like the looks of. Has anyone else had similar ideas? Also, does anyone beside canvas craft even make a suitcase style anymore?
-Tom

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Evo 2 to suitcase
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:22 PM »
I really like my 5600, for once you know where you gotta be and when... I've been using the same rig (although they updated it) since 1983.. I now have what I think is the last 5600 model made, still awesome.. Did some mods to it though, using my old original clam parts ( wind bars for the long walls, and extra top support)..

But when solo or short, and or exploring, FX 100, to hold my gear while I hole hop..

<°)))>{

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:24 PM »
I think the shappell DX are suitcase style

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:34 PM »
That shappell DX4000 looks nice, but at $400, I'd just save for the canvas craft. I'm looking more under $300 new, and I see a nice Clam 5600 used for $125.
-Tom

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:11 PM »
I see a nice Clam 5600 used for $125.

That's tough to beat....

5600 is almost nostalgic to me.. I sort of grew up in one.....

To me, its about as close (for size) to a permanent shack as you are going to get...

Makes a great base camp for slow times, works good for sight fishing too.. Has the square covers, I've at times, chainsawed that whole block out, for spearing opportunities... But in that case, we're talking all day/half the night...

<°)))>{

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2017, 07:44 AM »
The 5600 is a good shack.  I havent used it for years, the family grew so I bought a used 6800 which is good too.  Insulated would be a huge bonus though. You can buy used suitcase houses for almost nothing off craigslist. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2017, 09:11 AM »
Clam 5600 amd rare 1060 are still great.  If you can get an extra shelter cover it makes for wonderful insulation.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Interesting post, I find myself in a similar situation as you fishing style wise. Why dont you like a hub shack?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2017, 02:51 AM »
Interesting post, I find myself in a similar situation as you fishing style wise. Why dont you like a hub shack?

The Eskimo Evo 2 is a hybrid flip over hub shack wall design.  As the function of a hub wall relies on pressure to pop it up and the reverse to collapse it, sometimes the ceiling is prone to collapsing under wind.  What one of the original pop up shelter designs from Eastman was an Ice Cube that featured corner to corner straps to cinch down the hub that no brands as of today has on anymore.  This helps prevent the wall and ceiling from collapsing, but at the same time, you need to also anchor the hub properly for optimal results.  This small feature is not necessarily require for the operation.  That's why it has been neglected.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:02 AM »
I've always liked this night time picture of my 5600.. It reminds me of how easy it is to stay all day, and half the night in something like that...

<°)))>{

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2017, 12:26 PM »

Of the three main types (hub, suitcase/cabin, and flip over), the hub is about the worst. The hub's real advantage is that it fits in the back of a small car, where nothing but maybe a one man flip over might. Other than that, it sucks to set up in wind, the sides blow in in wind, no floor (not a big deal to me), pain to move. If I had to guess, I fished out of my hub for 6 years, which is a Cabela's brand 6'x6'. I still have it. You can anchor a corner to help setup, but then you have to fight an ice anchor in. A drill and adapter makes ice anchors a breeze, but it seemed half the time I'd forget it or it would be dead. If there is any wind, even just 10 mph, you better tie out the wind side hub, or it will blow in. To move you have to tear EVERYTHING down, even just to go 10 yards. I've tried dragging it, but to do so alone is risking the house becoming a kite. If you want to bring a girlfriend, wife, or kids, you have to figure out a floor. I always ended up with a chunk of old carpet, which worked, but ended up a sloppy and frozen mess after a trip. Hub houses work, but they are so overrated its not funny, same with hub hunting blinds.

@slipperybob, the evo 2 should be a great house. The design is awesome, big windows all the way around, big doors on both sides (not front), TONS of space compared to most flip overs, and still packs up nice. It's a real shame they don't last, because I really like it at first. I always put the back to the wind, it sets up very easy, and I never had a hub blow in on it.

@Ice Scratcher, that setup is what I had in mind. A nice big smitty sled. Do you keep your gear in the sled under the house, or do you strap it on top? I saw a picture of a guy who fabricated a cage that fit on top of a wood floor suitcase, and I really like the looks of that. You get to keep all your gear accessible on top, then you can pull out the fish house when needed.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:24 PM »
I just picked up a 5x8 canvas craft house today. It's well used, but in plenty good shape for my purposes. I also kicked over a set of ski's I didn't even know were there. A smitty sled is the next step. ;D
-Tom

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:47 PM »

@Ice Scratcher, that setup is what I had in mind. A nice big smitty sled. Do you keep your gear in the sled under the house, or do you strap it on top?

That sled was built over 15 years ago, made to fit my old original clam (same size as 5600).. Its my second version, my first has a square front, but plowed snow in deep drifts, covering everything with snow.. Its built to be pulled by hand or machine.. I've even ridden on it with the 5600, hitching a ride back off Erie a couple times..

Some things go inside the shanty, always two tall buckets in the back which keeps things from falling off the back, as well as tie down options, auger just sits on top in front of the buckets...

Lots of use without the shanty too!

<°)))>{

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:52 PM »
I had a Viking suitcase way back years ago& used it hard for years , got a flip over in 2006 & gave suitcase away . Really missed it. Flip over has its place but in 2013 got a clam 2000 suitcase. I really enjoy fishing from it & on lakes I know & have specific spots it's preferred over the flip. I think suitcase shelters got a bad rap. And if it's not really windy u can move no problem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I think it will work out fine, I'll build a setup a lot like Ice scratcher's. In an ideal world I would own both a suitcase and a flip over. What it came down to for me is the comfort level. I'll tough it out for hours no problem, but when I want to sit and fish, I want to be warm, listen to music, and eat snacks. I also want it to double as a tent for the off season.
-Tom

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Bay runner 1 or 2 by shappell or dx 3000 or 4000 or even the clam 2000 if you can find one I just strap mine to a soroc sports sled..  when I had my shappell  s3000 .. fill sled full of gear and make or buy a hitch that mount to sled of choice.. then all your replacing is runners on the sled or sled if that happens to ware out .. by the way this works in all shacks with 1/2 to 3/4 inch round poles for the flasher.. I use ram mount rail mounts for the pole mount then use flasher when done remove and fold up.. here's a pick of mount and flasher below by the way if you fit two people in one the mount can be swiveled for viewing for two and it leave room for heater in middle or lantren.. like in s3000. I had would..

Thinking of buying another dx3000 my self but will see.. if you do go dx3000 get the carpeted model cause it helps insulate a little..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.