Author Topic: Shallow water at night?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shallow water at night?
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:17 AM »
has anyone ever tried night fishing the crappie in shallow water, like less than 10 fow?  any luck, suggestions?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shallow water at night?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:50 PM »
we try not to fish in water over ten foot....smoke em at night in shoal....if you're getting a few in the day, and you know that they are there, you should find that they will go through an active period sometime in the pm...stick it out on a nice night and see how it goes for ya....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:20 AM »
yeah thats the situation, I'm going to try that soon
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I caught my first night time crappie last night in 10 fow minus 24" of ice, missed a few others on tip downs with minnow. I will be trying it again soon. I don't know how they can see, it sure looks dark down that hole.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:34 AM »
hammered the slabs right befiore dark, once it got dark I couldn't mark another fish
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Had a situation earlier this year (overcast, and snow covered lake) where I was catching crappie steadily through the day, so I stayed til dark, but never marked another fish. Normally I would have put out the lantern, figuring they would turn on again, but had plenty of fish, so I left. I do believe the way they feed on a given day can effect how much they turn on at night. I know after eating a late lunch at the Chinese buffet, I'm not in a hurry for a big dinner on my normal schedule. BTW, the most famous crappie lake in our region has it's night bite in about 6 fow.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:29 AM »
interesting, do you find that the fish come in high, right before dark I was getting them a foot under the ice in 6 fow, then the one fish I marked and caught was a dink and i pulled it off the bottom.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:20 PM »
My observation is that where (depth) crappie feed differs from one body of water to another. It also changes according to the amount of Ox. in the water. Like most kinds of fishing, it pays to be flexible. What was the hot ticket last trip might be useless this time. The good thing about shallow water is it is easily covered, making finding the feeding zone a lot easier. I read an article about crappie fishing once where a guide said,"The first rule about crappie fishing, is there are are no rules." ;)

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:46 AM »
the ox level shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, this spot is a setback of a huge river, the fish are always there, everytime i've gone i'ce got crappie, they just were impossible to mark.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:55 AM »
the lake i fish, shallower has been more productive than deeper at night. most people prefer 10-12 ft, but i have been doing well in 6ft and shallower

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.