The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 2179 times)

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice conditions
« on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out this weekend and what the ice is looking like? I know we should have it around for awhile yet but the 50 degree coming later this week makes me wonder how long it will be around for.  How long at these temps will we be able to drive on the ice? Any info would be great.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
Re: Ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Your still way safe. Over 40" of ice. Slush on top due to snow melt.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:21 AM »
I'll be getting back home in 19 days, will it still be fishable?

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I am going to Devils Lake March 21st. Here in SD the temps are getting into the 40's and 30's lows in the 20's. Ice was little over 40". Only thing that maybe a problem are trying to get on the lake. Those entries are going to take a beating in the weeks to come.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I know we should have ice for awhile I just wanted to get a thread started so people can update when they go fishing. Doesnt seem like anyone really uses the conditions and reports threads. I thought in here more eyes would see it and have a better chance of reports. Im hoping to get to Darling this Thurs and either Sat or Sun. Than next week im going to hit DL for a day or 2. Might even be there around the 21st. Thanks for the info guys.

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I don't think ice conditions are going to be an issue as much as the access to the ice.  With the warm temperatures the ramps and psuedo ramps are going to be a mud pit.  With permanent ice houses having to be off the ice this weekend those ramps are going to get some serious traffic.  Might be a weekend to pull the sled out and leave the truck on the shore. 

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Still tons of ice and an extension will be needed again this weekend (Mar. 15th) on Devils Lake.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:04 PM »
We went out with the Perch Patrol today.  Had a good time and limited out on perch.  Probably half were jumbo.  Fished 57 feet of water. 

Ice is good but covered with an inch or two of water with half inch of ice on top of that.  Everything got wet.  Our guide's brakes froze up from getting wet and freezing when he stopped.  Had to send a truck into town for a torch to thaw them out.  We just kept on fishing though.  I doubt they will be driving on the ice much longer.  Probably switch to four wheelers soon.  Still a good solid 40" of ice though. 

It was a good day!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:14 AM »
Thanks for the report, hope to get out and do some fishing next weekend when I get home.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I was finally able to hit the ice again on Sat and decided to head to DL. It was a very tough day, I think the high pressure, cool weather, and wind, killed the fishing. It was good to get back out though. I fished Pelican Bay in the morning through the early afternoon. Ice was still thick has ever but the show line to get onto the ice was showing is wear from all the traffic. Most have been 100 trucks out there in one area. On the way out it was starting to get rutted up and muddy.  Didn't get into any perch but kept 3 nice snot rockets, but we did mark fish most of the day. I wanted to get into some eyes so I headed over to Doc Hagens. Wind never died down but at about 6:30 the fish moved into where we were. It was a good bit for about an hour then died right before dark. I was able to get 8 in that hour. Not much size but managed to keep 4 over 15 in. The Landing off of 6 mile camp ground was OK but starting to get really beat up. Again ice was still thick and I buried the auger right up to the head with a 12in extension in a few spots. I don't think there will be too  many more days of driving on the lake. Maybe another weekend two at the most. Good luck and if you want any more info pm I would be happy to help.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Fished Darling tonight, the ice is definitely changing. It was gritty or honey combed and making lots of noise. Still a good amount of ice though. The shorelines however seem to be disappearing  pretty fast. At the main entrance points ( the landings) trucks have broken through and the ice is opened up pretty good. 2 idiots tonight had drove on the ice before I got there and decided to use the landing I was walking by to get off. Well needless to say they destroyed the ice to get off and had to have done some kind of damage to their trucks. Other than those 2 there was not many people on the ice which surprised me but a guy did tell me the fishing has been slow. I walked a long ways away from where everyone was and was able to mark lots of fish. I pulled in 3 right away but at about 5:30 the fish shut completely off, I still marked and they would follow the jig up but wouldn't hit.

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:06 AM »
We were out on Devils Lake this past weekend and the access points for the main bay, east bay, black tiger bay, 6 mile bay were all in great shape and froze up tight. Top 5-10inchs were honeycomb due to rain and snow melt still needed a 12" extension and were able to drive anywhere on the lake there is ZERO snow on top.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:06 AM »
The zero snow makes for a pretty slick surface so I would be wearing some kind of ice cleats or screws.

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:25 AM »
The zero snow makes for a pretty slick surface so I would be wearing some kind of ice cleats or screws.

It was very slick in spots but they had about a 1" of snow Friday so the ice had some traction by Sunday you needed cleats.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Well after the rest of this week I would say Darling is for sure done and DL should be close. Was at DL last Sat and still lots of ice, it was still drivable but the 70 degree weather should end that. Hit Darling this morning and found some perch but the shore lines are rough. A guy put a board up but by the time I headed in (2 pm) the board was not long enough. I got a little wet but made it out ok. Hate to see the season come to an end.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Word here in DL is that three of four PUs have gone through the ice.  I haven't seen it in the paper but talking with guys at work have heard it.  One guy supposedly rode it to the bottom and came up from there.  Others following had to pull him out.  DL is done in my book.  Be safe out there.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Like all good things.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.