Author Topic: Do you use Split Shot?  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Perchchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
Do you use Split Shot?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:27 AM »
When fishing with tiny panfish jigs do you generally use a small split shot on your line to aide in getting the jig down the hole?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do you use Split Shot?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:38 AM »
No,to me it kills the action of the micro jigs. But some of my friends do,place the shot at least 18 inches up and use a very small one,years ago I made my own mico split shot,take a number 2 shotgun shell(leadshot) and cut the top,and dump out the shot,lay bb's on a wooden board and make a slit with a knife.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:43 AM »
NO, bluegill have a nasty habit of hitting the splitshot. If you need more weight, just tie on a second jig.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:50 AM »
When I do find the need to use split shot, I use the very soft European shot designed for flyfishing. I have sizes as small as #000 up to #0. Using this shot also allows me to dial in the perfect weight when using my spring bobbers. Can be a real PITA getting on #1 line sometimes  :) As some have claimed it can hinder the action of your micro jigs, but I figure things that small in real life aren't jumping more then a hair at a time, so I don't think I loose that much action. Shoot, my hands shaking sometimes provides more action then I need  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Perchchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Shoot, my hands shaking sometimes provides more action then I need  ;D

I hear that...I struggle to find just the right grip/position to hold my rod to eliminate shaking the spring bobber. 

I've just started expeirementing with the spring bobbers and I was wonder how exactly do you "dial them in".  I bought some that are mounted on a sponge type thing that you push into your top eyelet but I don't see away to adjust it.  What exacactly are you trying to accomplish when you do properly adjust it?  Do you want the spring sticking straight out without any bend from the weight of the jig?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:23 AM »
 no never, it would take away most of the action that i like to use

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:25 AM »
When I do find the need to use split shot, I use the very soft European shot designed for flyfishing. I have sizes as small as #000 up to #0. Using this shot also allows me to dial in the perfect weight when using my spring bobbers. Can be a real PITA getting on #1 line sometimes  :) As some have claimed it can hinder the action of your micro jigs, but I figure things that small in real life aren't jumping more then a hair at a time, so I don't think I loose that much action. Shoot, my hands shaking sometimes provides more action then I need  ;D
I use the exact same as you .........MM

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:23 PM »
Never.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:13 AM »
never.. get the spring bobber at the end... a lot of times with my camera they go for the sinker not the jig..i would tie another jig 18 inches away from it. But watch out DNR in wisconsin counts that as another line.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:58 PM »
last year someone brought this subject up on one of the OTHER icefishing websites.
one suggestion was to use a colored glass bead at or near the jig. have no idea if it works
 but sounded good for holiday sales @ HOBBY LOBBY ?
fre

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Split shot?   NO.
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Never use a splitshot

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I keep a bunch of Micro split shot in my box but I never use a split shot. When the jigs get small I usually go for a tungsten jig or a marmooska type jig which is heavy for its size.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:58 PM »
i only use splitshot if i am fishing for perch
however, if the water is stupid clear i would use another jig,
also, whenever i go duck hunting, i usually take an open water rod and a few bits of tackle in case we end up on a trout stream with few ducks
and if the day was slow then i head to any frozen lake that's nearby and find some deserted holes to break open, (i always ask people nearby if those holes are theirs) and then just goof around with whatever i have.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:08 PM »
last year someone brought this subject up on one of the OTHER icefishing websites.

There's OTHER sites?? LMAO

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:06 AM »
There's OTHER sites?? LMAO

Split What's   :laugh:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I almost always use one, but that is because most of my gill fishing is in 30 foot of water on the lake here.. They are often found suspended and it takes forever to get it down there, sure I lose some action but most days the fish dont care.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Not unless absolutely necessary. With the new tungsten baits that have come out over the past few years, the need is nearly gone.

Offline skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:25 PM »
First time for bluegill through ice last weekend I used split shot - the rod I was using was a bit heavy and the split helped load it so I could feel the bite better. Now I have a spring bobber on that rod, but it helped when I didn't have the bobber set up. Kept a tight line between the jig and the rod tip too.

I might be doing it "wrong" but I caught plenty of fish, so something must have worked.

Eric

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.