Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 429293 times)

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clear Lake
« on: Dec 25, 2007, 05:53 PM »
I was out this morning on Clear Lake from 6:00 - 9:00 and caught my limit of walleye and one nice perch. I was using a hot pink lead head jig tipped with a minnow just NE of Dodges Point. After 8:00 it went dead. I also caught quite a few dink walleyes. I didn't catch a single Yellow Bass which I thought was odd. The ice was 14" thick. 

Offline ap2049

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007, 08:44 PM »
Went out today and moved from Gilmore. The last three times I had not caught a thing on Gilmores.  Their is a lot pop ups by the island

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Yep, go to the island if your looking for yellows...   that is my suggestion.   ;D

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:06 AM »
fished Gilmore's last nite for a few hours.  Didn't catch or even seen anything on electronics.  Didn't help with someone running their generator full time.  Time to try somewhere different..

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:11 PM »
I may be going tomorrow and was wondering the best way to get to the island? I'll be coming on 18 to 35. Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:49 PM »
When you get to Clear Lake take exit 193 on I-35. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp, when you get to the second stop sign  turn left onto South Shore Drive and just keep following the lake  around to the south side. When you get to Bayside Ave. turn right and it will take you to the island.

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2007, 01:02 PM »
When you get to Clear Lake take exit 193 on I-35. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp, when you get to the second stop sign  turn left onto South Shore Drive and just keep following the lake  around to the south side. When you get to Bayside Ave. turn right and it will take you to the island.

Thanks for the quick reply, should be able to find it now!!! :thumbsup:

Ed

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Ed,

We might make it up there tomorrow also......we'll be in a QF III with a black can-am on front.

Frank

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Frank, I'm not going to make it until Sat. now, I forgot I have a chiropractor app. tomorrow and need to go, screwed up left shoulder, so I'm going Sat. since my wife is working!!!

Ed

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Shiiiit no one is even close to gillmores. :o....I dunno what everyone is doing out there not catching any fish.  I managed my limit tonight on the east end of the lake in a lesser known spot one 20incher too plus 30-40 smaller ones. Had to hop around all day to get on them though. Went thru alotta bait in the process.

The word/phrase for the day is "chubby darter" :laugh:

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Frank, I'm not going to make it until Sat. now, I forgot I have a chiropractor app. tomorrow and need to go, screwed up left shoulder, so I'm going Sat. since my wife is working!!!

Ed

Ed might see you up there saturday  ;D Fished Brushy today caught a few crappy's  ;)

CrappieBuster, sent you a PM the other day. Haven't heard back. I got the info I needed from Joe Kalvig

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:11 PM »
sorry bout that........ :-\

Just got home today from christmas festivities i didnt have time to make a "valid" reply.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:32 PM »
No problem. Was suppose to come up today and hook up with Joe this afternoon. Son want to hit Brushy for some crappie action, well he found it. He was the only one who could catch them  :) I believe we are coming up to Clear saturday. Never ice fished it before. Have any tips would be appreciated  ;) Pm me if you want

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Gonna be there Saturday morning.  Whats the low down on the yellows CB?  Id like to catch the eyes too, but I dont expect anyone to give up their spots.  Just mainly interested in a nice bucket of yellows.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Theres not much going on at gilmores. I fished at farmers last night and picked up 10-12 small walleyes. Two keepers, and a few yellows. The only problem is around 3pm that place is a nightmare with all the people coming out to fish. They had good ice i suppose 12-14 i drove my diesel out there last night and this morning and there was no problems. Just a small heeve on shore to get over.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Lotsa pressure on the lake thats for sure,wont be long till we get into that mid winter slump.  Managed my limit tonight again wasnt another shack within 300 yards of me. Heard from a few people that the yellows were biting near the Island.  Looks like there was alot of trucks/shacks out off the island today in the 18 foot hole and the mid-lake reef.   Alot of people are setting up on or near Billys and the 18 foot hole near there also.  One thing I can say though you dont have to be in with the crowds to catch nice fish and limit out beings the fish are still holding fairly shallow.  Power augers going off every 5 minutes gets kinda annoying :laugh:

Ice has been varying between 11-15 inches should be able to pretty much drive anywhere now..

tight lines :tipup:

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:52 AM »
WHERE DID MY GPS GO CRAPPIEBUSTER >:( 

Offline brandon mohr _42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:33 AM »
thinking about coming up tonight just wondeing how the evening and night bite are for yellows are eyes

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:09 PM »
CB, will be coming up for the night bite saturday  ;D I believe I know where Gilmore's is at and might possibly see you out on the ice saturday night  ;) I'll be in a Eskimo Quick Flip III. I finally talked the wife into her first ice fishing trip, so I hope they are biting to get her hooked  :thumbsup:

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Good luck Kraig, maybe I'll see you before I leave.

Ed

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Good luck Kraig, maybe I'll see you before I leave.

Ed

Hope to run into you  ;) I will be parking in the same parking spot that you will be in. I hope she catches some to keep her hooked on hardwater. She already loves open water  ;D

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:55 PM »
I hope she does also, my wife is addicted to ice fishing, we are going out next Wed., her next day off.

Ed

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:08 PM »
we will be ther in the moring    is any thing going at farmer beach ?  let me know

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:43 AM »
Limited out again tonight thats 3 nights in a row.  Had to clean my buddys limit too because he was to hammered to weild a knife :-\.  If you see one oddly placed shack out there thats me.  :laugh:

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:46 AM »
i will be looking for you  we are going to farmers first and then who knows   lol

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Limited out again tonight thats 3 nights in a row.  Had to clean my buddys limit too because he was to hammered to weild a knife :-\.  If you see one oddly placed shack out there thats me.  :laugh:
Save some of those fish for the rest of us  lol

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:44 AM »
ejensen, sounds like you guys had a fun trip on Saturday between the walleyes and the yellows.  See ya in a couple weeks at Brushy.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:05 AM »
Oldbear......you should have come up!!! We really got into the yellows. I would guess our little group caught between 100-150 yellows. Some were really nice ones around the 12 inch mark and alot of 8 inchers. I tell ya you still get a nice hunk of meat off the 8 inches!! Only two bonus keeper walleyes were caught.

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:09 AM »
yellows   we got like 6  all moring long with 4 shacks    so where was you guys at ?

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:19 AM »
We were between the point west of the island and farmers. This was my first trip there on the ice and I need to go there more. We started just east of the island and only had one guy catch a keeper walleye, 21". It was a blast and those yellows really put up a fight. I don't know how many I lost at the bottom of the hole trying to get them turned up it.

Ed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.