Author Topic: Rigid ( H. Depot ) drill driver and hand auger  (Read 5315 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rigid ( H. Depot ) drill driver and hand auger
« on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Well I love my 4.5" Nils cordless auger.  Cuts just as fast ( maybe a little bit slower ) then my ION.  Now its time for a 6"  It would be great to have a drill/driver to hook up to it and just filet the ice.

I was looking @ Milwaukee M18 fuel and the Dewalt 20V * both brushless

But I thought I read on here people raving about the Rigid ( H. Depot ) brand because H. depot gaurentees them for life or something like that...?
Can anyone clarify that for me?

I was there yesterday and didn't see anything about that.

The drill will also be used for basic home projects around the house.  I don't need to go to big and don't think I need brushless as this drill will be barely used.  And when on the ice will only be used for ice up to 20"  And those who have used Nils hand augers know you need 0 downward pressure.

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rigid ( H. Depot ) drill driver and hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:16 AM »
home depot does warranty ridig power tools. i've taken my 12 volt drill in and was rebuilt plus two new batteries no questions asked. just remember to register the tool.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:42 AM »
how long do they warranty the rigid tools?

what does it cover?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:55 AM »
ridgid box's say "LSA" on them and have the papers to fill out inside the box to get the life time service agreement established. meaning free batteries, service and parts for life.
if and when you need any thing, its best to to go to authorized service center instead of back to home depot.  they want every thing that was in the box to get it serviced. service center only wants whats wrong brought back, so just call them ahead of time and have your pin on you that verifies you are in the lsa program

i heard brushless is coming for ridgid too, but why bother when it is covered for life. if it smokes because it has brushes, then they keep replacing it. if i had to start over or start new, then brushless would be my choice then, if it was covered for life

i have one 24 volt battery that is acting up. called closet service center and they said no problem bring both batteries and charger and they will be replaced, but they have to order that size because they don't keep 24 v in stock. it would cost over 3oo$ to replace the three pieces and it will be costing me two trips to the service center instead

remember tho, the battery capacity is important on any cordless tool. so a 4 amp hour is better than the compact design they might try selling to you by far
try to get a grip on that before buying, but if you want to change up or want your money back, they give it all back no hassles for up to 90 days

if you forget to fill out the lsa, you get 3 years parts/labor

if you want some thing not on the their web site, you can place an order with them for ridgid
around xmas time, they have special offers, where they give free items like extra large 4 amp battery or accessories

the best one they have on the web. does not have wrap around handle

Model # R8611501K
Internet # 202581836
Store SKU # 796390

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-X4-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Kit-R8611501K/202581836?N=5yc1vZc27fZ18gZ1z140i3

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I was looking at them today.  If I was putting one on a clam plate I would get the fuel 18 for sure.  But without a clam plate - the T handle on the Milwaukee tends to break off, whereas the Rigid (and Dewalt 20v) have a wrap around T handle that looks like it would never break off.

This year is gone, adapters, clam plates, ion drills, all out of stock.  I'm just anticipating what to do next fall.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:21 PM »
build one like I did. check out " my latest project" listed in this forum. I just drilled 120" of ice today on one battery that is 4 years old. dewalt 18 volt lithium ion.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I think I'm gonna jump on it this week.
$199 right now @ Home depot. 612 lbs of torque
$100 off

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:58 PM »
The LSA doesn't drill holes in the ice. If you don't live close to a service center you could end up needing to send it in during hardwater season which would cost you time on the ice....Buy a drill based on it's performance and the performance of the battery packs. If you already have a drill that's great.....go ahead and try it. If your buying, the Milwuakee fuel if the way to go. IMO

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:30 AM »
I have a custom cabinet shop and we used Panasonic drills for years in the NiMH days because they were the best. Now with the advance of the L.I batteries they got to the price point where I started to look around. I tried Makita and Hitachi and both were OK but then I tried the Rigids and we found them to be superior and now switched all of our drills to them. We use them every day in the shop and on site installing and they get the job done and the warranty is a bonus.

If you want nothing but the best, then you need to look a bit deeper. The new Panasonics are tough as nails but the price tag is high and if that isn't enough, then take a look at these bad boys:

http://www.metabo.us/NEW-Battery-pack-with-5-2-Ah.47683.0.html

Metabo cordless drill with a 5.2ah battery.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Been using my rigid 18v 3 seasons now no problems.Haven't needed any warranty.I ice fish a lot and also use for work.Usually only use it for ice 12" and under although drilled a lot of holes thru 17" this year.Its good to have the option of hand auger 18v drill auger and gas auger.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:19 PM »
These threads about drills have been on here all winter. I think the concensus is that if you want to use a 7 or 8 inch
augur you need to get a Milwaukee fuel with 4 amp battery,  which is a brushless drill.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Well I love my 4.5" Nils cordless auger.  Cuts just as fast ( maybe a little bit slower ) then my ION.  Now its time for a 6"  It would be great to have a drill/driver to hook up to it and just filet the ice.

I was looking @ Milwaukee M18 fuel and the Dewalt 20V * both brushless

But I thought I read on here people raving about the Rigid ( H. Depot ) brand because H. depot gaurentees them for life or something like that...?
Can anyone clarify that for me?

I was there yesterday and didn't see anything about that.

The drill will also be used for basic home projects around the house.  I don't need to go to big and don't think I need brushless as this drill will be barely used.  And when on the ice will only be used for ice up to 20"  And those who have used Nils hand augers know you need 0 downward pressure.

search the forums, BaitBucket posted up the warranty info on some drills many use for the ice. He went with the rigid. I do not think he has had any issues with his.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:01 PM »
"Well I love my 4.5" Nils cordless auger.  Cuts just as fast ( maybe a little bit slower ) then my ION.  Now its time for a 6"  It would be great to have a drill/driver to hook up to it and just filet the ice."

Doesn't the ion come with an adapter so you can put the bottom of a 6" auger on it???  That is one of the main reasons I'm interested in an Ion.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I have a custom cabinet shop and we used Panasonic drills for years in the NiMH days because they were the best. Now with the advance of the L.I batteries they got to the price point where I started to look around. I tried Makita and Hitachi and both were OK but then I tried the Rigids and we found them to be superior and now switched all of our drills to them. We use them every day in the shop and on site installing and they get the job done and the warranty is a bonus.

If you want nothing but the best, then you need to look a bit deeper. The new Panasonics are tough as nails but the price tag is high and if that isn't enough, then take a look at these bad boys:

http://www.metabo.us/NEW-Battery-pack-with-5-2-Ah.47683.0.html

Metabo cordless drill with a 5.2ah battery.
   Are the Metabo drills brushless? anyone know for sure?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2014, 03:41 AM »
I know there have been many posts on this subject this season and with respect to all posters on this subject i still feel from my experience that the Milwaukee Fuel is absolutely the best drill for the job!!!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Ion makes a 6 inch auger. Strikemaster hand augers will fit.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:07 AM »
so did you get one?
200$ for life is great price you know

all of the other tools ridgid makes you can now buy as you need and they are also covered for life. i like the impact driver the most and then the sawsall

no one compares in warranty!

warranty does not drill holes, obviously. never heard anyone say it could before this thread. its a company standing behind their product for ever tho! and i am all for that even if its not the VERY best drill. i don't own the very best of any thing, but i buy smart.

i drill thousands of holes and will continue to do so for the rest of my life for the same cost it cost me the one time around. to me, that is the best drill. not one i have to pay repairs for or batteries after a few short years. 5 amp hour batteries are gonna be killer on some ones pocket book. not mine!

the fuel 18 drill is 400$ and 5 years warranty, you get to buy more batteries and repairs after that. thats the best drill?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:20 AM »
warranty:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED

This Service Agreement applies only to the original registered owner and may not be transferred. This Service Agreement only covers wear and tear or failure of the tool arising under normal usage and proper maintenance. It does not cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification or repair by anyone other than an authorized service center for RIDGID® brand hand held, pneumatic and stationary power tools, any damage or malfunction inflicted upon the tool by the user or other external sources, or any failure to comply with the warnings and instructions in the operator’s manual.

Consumable accessories provided with the tool such as, but not limited to, saw blades, planer blades and knives, insert bits, drill bits, grinding wheels and discs, cut off wheels, sand paper, safety glasses and fasteners are not covered.   
**** would attatching to auger and using it for drilling ice holes void this warranty?

also, how much are those clam plates? $200 for drill, $50 for SM mora plus cost of clam plate, is it worth it? weight wise, ABSOLUTELY. cost wise? no gas/oil. no mess, no fuss. just recharge battery, convenience is a plus. I love the idea of free battery.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:13 AM »
In my case I already had the Milwaukee fuel with 2 4.0 batteries and a 6 inch Mora auger. Clam plate was $59.00 and $15.00 for the extension. Just love the way it cuts, if I had to buy a drill it would be the Milwaukee.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Checked on Metabo drill, I know batteries are bigger, the price is also about $400!!  Ouch!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I already owned a 8" SM hand auger and a Milwaulee 2601 brushed 18v drill (which is probably about same as the rigid 18v brushed drill). It worked ok.... I just wanted more performance so I went with the fuel series drill and the clam auger plate. It works awesome together!!! If anyone is thinking about trading up now Milwaukee has $100 offer to by your old drill/batteries/charger toward the purchase of a fuel series drill. Details can be found on-line but I think it has to be a 14.4v or more.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:32 PM »
now you post that. I just bought the fuel hammer drill last night. Used but just like new. Less than 150.00 so I can't complain.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:35 PM »
now you post that. I just bought the fuel hammer drill last night. Used but just like new. Less than 150.00 so I can't complain.
  Which batteries came with it? 2.5 or 4.0

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2014, 07:58 AM »
have not received it yet.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Certain name brands traded in also if I read it right, I have craftsman and wasn't on the list!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.