New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Proper Sled for Snow?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Proper Sled for Snow?
« on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I find that pulling my jet sled (24"x54") is real tough in 4-6" of snow or better. It tends to push the snow like a barge. I've seen the pictures of sled adaptations that fall into two types, runners or skis.
My ice fishing buddy says I should just sand the bottom of the jet sled down, make it smooth and tough it out. He pulls a sled that weighs 5 lbs. by the way.
Given that someone out there has to have seen different types of sleds in action, what is the real answer?  Runners, skis or tough it out? 

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The Proper Sled for Snow?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I still have a sled in my cellar that has two big waterski like ski's on it and it still pulls horrible as compared to my jet sled.  I'd just say....think about it logically.  It all has to do with surface area and what your pulling through the snow.  If you have any type of "ski" and given the same weight, a jet sled "type" sled will IMO pull better than any sled with skis.  A ski will "sink in" and the jet sled tends to ride on top of the snow because your putting that same weight over say......6-10" of surface area vs a jet sleds 30" of surface area. Others may disagree, but I've found that my jet sled doesn't tip over like my sled with skis does and pulls much better.  Good luck! Hope this helps you.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:52 AM »
I find that pulling my jet sled (24"x54") is real tough in 4-6" of snow or better. It tends to push the snow like a barge. I've seen the pictures of sled adaptations that fall into two types, runners or skis.
My ice fishing buddy says I should just sand the bottom of the jet sled down, make it smooth and tough it out. He pulls a sled that weighs 5 lbs. by the way.
Given that someone out there has to have seen different types of sleds in action, what is the real answer?  Runners, skis or tough it out? 

when you load it do you put the heavier stuff in the back, light stuff up front, will make the front rid up more, plow less, i've fond jet sleds to be the best in lots of snow
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:33 AM »

Hard to beat a jet sled or otter type sled. I found that if you spray the bottom down with silicone spray it will pull much easier. Plus like Adk says, put the heavier gear towards the back and you will be fine. Just be sure to get a cover for the sled if you tow with a snowmobile. ;D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:58 AM »
This is what I came up with to ease the drag in snow and helping in loading/unloading in the truck. With a Jet Sled you can downsize and simplify this considerable. Another on here made the same thing minus all but the outside portion of the sled, sled hangs on it by the rim. There has been many innovations on here that may suit you or inspire you...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Unless you want to build something I think the easiest was is to spray the sled with pam or silicone spray and load all the heavy stuff in the back of the sled. It makes a huge difference when you get the heavy stuff in the back.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Add some strips of UHMW to the bottom of the Jet Sled (or Shappells wear strip kit).  This will help on the rocks and cement.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:02 PM »
This is what I came up with to ease the drag in snow and helping in loading/unloading in the truck. With a Jet Sled you can downsize and simplify this considerable. Another on here made the same thing minus all but the outside portion of the sled, sled hangs on it by the rim. There has been many innovations on here that may suit you or inspire you...
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Bart:
Have you compared this with a sled with skis? Has it made enough of a difference to justify the time and expense? I think I can do it for $30-40. Do you 25%-50% less drag with this system in snow, at a guess? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to weigh my options before hard water. If I'm going to build I have to start now.   

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:33 PM »
ive got a arctic cat sled very similar to the jet sled just bigger,,was hell to pull when it was full,,put it up on a small set of skis that i bought from the second hand store for 20.oo,,put on a way longer rope,,and now it pulls so easy i dont really even feel it much,,best thing i ever did,works great
Its all about the good times.

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:39 PM »

All I have to say is: BART, that is a thing of beauty !!!  I put a 350 CI V8 (dual 650 double pumpers) in my snowmobile and my sleds pull a lot easier. Not reccommended for fuel mileage, but sure is fun !!!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2008, 04:53 PM »
ive got a arctic cat sled very similar to the jet sled just bigger,,was hell to pull when it was full,,put it up on a small set of skis that i bought from the second hand store for 20.oo,,put on a way longer rope,,and now it pulls so easy i dont really even feel it much,,best thing i ever did,works great

Bartman:
How high up off the ice did you put the bottom of the sled?

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2008, 11:34 AM »
love   the   jet   sled     no    problem    pullin   my   gear  around      i   say    yes   with   auger   weight  in   back

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Bart:
Have you compared this with a sled with skis? Has it made enough of a difference to justify the time and expense? I think I can do it for $30-40. Do you 25%-50% less drag with this system in snow, at a guess? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to weigh my options before hard water. If I'm going to build I have to start now.   

It's fairly cheap, if you can do your own braising, 4-10' 3/4" EMT conduit @ $5.35 and minimal hardware. The simpler version would only take 2-10' 3/4" conduit and 2-couplers(no welding), I am curious of how well it will hold up though???

Retired ECO, 14" It just wound up at that height, due to limitation of my bender. But I think it is the ideal height for loading the Fish Trap into the truck by myself.

I took a couple of days off from thinking of Ice Fishing, to help my son(15) connect on his first deer. Venison on the ice!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2008, 06:53 AM »
Unless you want to build something I think the easiest was is to spray the sled with pam or silicone spray and load all the heavy stuff in the back of the sled. It makes a huge difference when you get the heavy stuff in the back.

I agree.  The cheapest and easiest solution is to wax or spray the bottom of your sled with silicone.  It has worked for me in the past.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:12 AM »
i made a conduit sled once. it was great in snow an ice but on rocks and parkin lot brutal. so theres draw backs to each kind. i now have pcv one made on the order of the conduit 1 with ski,s on bottom of pcv. i tkae the clam 5600, and tote with cam aqua vu etc. and it pulls pretty good.  i need to make a smaller version for my 1 man frabill , the 1 with the goofy indentations all over the bottom.  crazy design. everything catches and packs up in there.  i modified with flat 5/16 inch aluminum plate and skis. this worked great except for deep wet snow. still need to be up . so now im thinkin a pcv sled with skis and slidingextensions to raise and lower to put in truck under the cover, lol if i had cap would be no problem. but gotta make it all fit under cover. wife wont go for new cap.  haha not after new fl20.....
youngster

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2008, 04:31 PM »
in the summer i look for people tossing ski in the trash i have a set mounted on my jet sled and we mount then on our traps too  big plus is the bottoms stay good even if you drag them across a bare road ;D

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Hey Bart...Great sled.  Tell your son congrats on the big Doe. Thats exciting :thumbsup:

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2008, 05:02 AM »
I asked the original question posted. Thanks for the input. I have since sanded the botton of the sled smooth and added a layer of silicone spray. Much smoother than before. I have aquired a set of ski's for free. I need to think of a portable, cheap, light design. I figure at least a month and a half or two months before snow becomes a problem on the ice.   

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Hi!
For $10.00 I bought a pair of old skis at the local thrift shop.
Cut them to the lenght I considered right to attach to the botom of a rubbermaid box.
Worked fine till we got 6" of snow. Then the front end of the box started to plow snow.
Did some research and found out that I needed to raise the box up above the skis a minimum of 4".
This allows the skis to ride up on top of the snow and not allow the box to dig in.
Dog sleds, baby carriage sleds, and sledges are designed with runners, that is to give as little surface contact and prevent snow plowing and significantly reduce friction and drag.

SeaDog1

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2008, 02:19 PM »
my buddies and i last winter made boxes took one saturday afternoon that we couldn't fish and got a case of beer and hammered them out..raise them up on skis and they glide right behind you...though make sure you seal them real good...if not it could fall apart like mine did..though its nothing some gorilla glue can't fix

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:25 AM »
UPDATE:
After reading the above, I used silicone spray and shifted the weight in the sled to the rear and it helped alot. I will be adding wear strips to the bottom.
Lastly, I added a piece of wood to the end of my pull rope so that my shoulders don't get pulled out. Something like a water ski tow rope handle where the skier holds on. THAT helped alot.
Thanks all for input.   

Offline waytkus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2009, 07:20 AM »
This stuff works great, put it on my fish trap yukon what a diffrence. I was pulling three fish traps behind my 4-wheeler and mine was the only one riding up on top of the snow, while my brothers Guide was plowing and so was my sons. Call US Plastics , I bought the 1/2" by 1 1/2"  a 10' peice was like $21. plus shipping.

Add some strips of UHMW to the bottom of the Jet Sled (or Shappells wear strip kit).  This will help on the rocks and cement.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:04 PM »
This stuff works great, put it on my fish trap yukon what a diffrence. I was pulling three fish traps behind my 4-wheeler and mine was the only one riding up on top of the snow, while my brothers Guide was plowing and so was my sons. Call US Plastics , I bought the 1/2" by 1 1/2"  a 10' peice was like $21. plus shipping.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm there.

Offline jrmPikeFreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing For Life!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:06 PM »
i love my jet sled!! i strap my shanty to the top and pull it that way. i tried the otter sled and that thing sucks big time.

Offline greg42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay Of Quinte Action
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Nice unit Bart. Congrats to your son on 1st deer. Do you paint your lawn- the greenest I've seen (a lot of weeds though). You have issues- taking photos of ice fishing stuff  in the middle of summer. Love it. Anyways, I use old downhill skies. They last about 1 season and are easy and cheap / free every spring. Very little resistance for towing...

Offline mraw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:55 PM »
home depot has vinyl utility trim. It comes in a 8' lenght about 5" wide and 1/4" thick. I cut it in half lenghtwise and attached to bottom of my home made sled. Glides great in all conditions and best of all it only costs $14.00 so it's cheap to replace.

Offline waytkus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'm there.
This stuff will bend with a heat gun in the front for a radius, just heat it evenly. Another guy said it will bend if you dip it in boiling water, I thought the heat gun worked great.
 Also for pulling , I bought a shoulder Deer drag and attached this to my pull rope. This works great ! I saw a buddy of mine do this so I cant take complete credit. I paid like $5 bucks for one at wallmart .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.