New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Marcum  (Read 4008 times)

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Marcum
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I sent in an LX-3tc for repair in April.  I called today to find out what was up because I wasn't even sure they received it yet.  The woman who answered the phone said that Marcum was out of business!  I hope this doesn't mean I am out $400 bucks!  She said she would contact me by the end of the week......I hope so.
Mike

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Marcum
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:03 PM »
3 Beagles,

Check out the thread Nature Vision buys Marcum in the general ice fishing forum. Possibly one of the posters there can help you out, I'm sure Nature vision wants to uphold its' reputation and will repair your unit .
     Hope this helps you out , have a good spring- summer.

Steve

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I hope they hold up to the Marcum tradition.  I returned my old LX-3 in for repair. It was after warrenty, but they made the repair for free.

Very nice to deal with.   I have not dealt with Nature Vision that much.   I hope it works out....

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:54 PM »
i really hope it works out for you! it would stink to be out 400 bucks

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Anyone sure about Marcum, out of business???  3beagles, hope it all works out well...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Well that would end my time with them, if that is how they treat people. I have used their products for years and appreciated there fine support.

Not anymore....

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Yeah!  It is not leaving me with a good feeling.  I sent a letter (email) off to the Better Business Bureau in hopes that will wake them up.  But, I am not hopeful.
Mike

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Just a few bits of info I have discovered....

Nature Vision only employs 19 people!
Their Stock is tanking....at todays price you can own the company for 3.7Mil....  I wouldn't put alot of faith in anything they are doing until they show they can run a business and not just buy up other businesses and cause them to fail...

my 2cents...

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Nature Vision only employs 19 people!

Everything must be made in china.   I know Marcum was a good quality machine, mostly american made, and excellent service.

Too bad this had to come about.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that 3beags. Man am I glad i'm a vexi man.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I really hope things turn out allright for you 3 beagles.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Time will tell, but I am not optomistic!  >:(

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Hey beags did she at lest call you back yet???? ??? ??? ???
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Not yet.  Maybe this week......(yeah, right!)

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2008, 10:08 PM »
wow i'm really bumed out no call!!!!!!!   And to all those fellow shanty members that i said good luck with your china made vexilars i apologize. I have about 1500 dollars worth of marcum electronics and now when they go they go(you guys were right should have bought a vex) :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2008, 07:32 AM »
From what I've heard, Nature Vision will be keeping the sonar unit's LX-5, LX-3tc, Vx-1, and LX-i. They will also keep the 825C, 820, and 380 camera's for the forseeable future.  Duane Cummings, Ray Marzean, Jon Marshall,and Paul Thorne have been brought over from marcum to nature vision. I heard they are going to make more of them available this year then was available last year.
The flasher market will have more choices this year as Humminbird will be coming out with their own line of flashers. I think I heard they were coming out with 3 of them. The FLR-35, FLR-45, and another one.
Ken                                          

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Does Humminbird have them on their site yet?

Wondering a cost?   

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Does Humminbird have them on their site yet?

Wondering a cost?   

Not yet.  I figure they'll probably have them out by August(just my guess). I don't know costs either, but I'm sure they're in the same ballpark as Marcum and Vex units.
Ken                                          

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I actully work for a distrubtor that carrys the humminbird. Here's alittle inside info for you all. I own a Vex so take it as you will. They were in here about a month ago with there fishFinders and gave us a look at the new ice units. I belive there price points are 299 and 499. Not sure though. But as for the unit it's self if it can do everything they talked about and well. It's going to make a great splash
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Is it a flasher type or like the lowrance Ice Machine?   

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Is it a flasher type or like the lowrance Ice Machine?   

flasher type.
Ken                                          

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Awesome.  I am real curious to see them now.  Thanks

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:05 PM »
there a flasher but with no moving part. there is no wheel that spins
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline extremewaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2008, 01:20 PM »
3beagles have you heard back from them yet... if so what did they say and did you get it back

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I came across this thread this morning and contacted a friend at Nature Vision to get the scoop. He told me that due to the nature of the acquisition there was some confusion in the beginning. The good news is that Nature Vision will be honoring the warranty and providing service on MarCum units sold prior to the acquisition! With any acquisition things can get messy in the beginning.  Although I have never had an issue with any of my MarCum units I am pleased to know that Nature Vision will be maintaining the same level of customer service.  3 beagles I'm truly sorry for your inconvenience, if there's anything I can do for you in the future pm me.

Tim
Tim Rogers

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2008, 04:20 PM »
icetechy,  Can you tell us why they dropped the 360 degree cameras?  I'm basing this on the lack of available info from their site.....

Thanks,

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2008, 06:21 AM »
Economics, flashers out sell cameras 6-1.  Flasher is a necessity, camera is a luxury..
Tim Rogers

Offline TheSnowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2008, 10:03 PM »
did you ever get your flasher fixed? I tried e-mailing them about mine and never got a response?

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:02 AM »
Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but I did get a "reconditioned" unit as a replacement for my original "brand-new" unit.  The lady stated that they were waiting for parts for my original unit and that it would take an undertermined amount of time.  She asked if I would be willing to accept a reconditioned unit in order to speed up the process.  I asked if the reconditioned unit would carry the rest of the 2 year warranty and she said it would, so I accepted the reconditioned unit.  It (so far) works fine and I am anxious to get out on some ice with it.  Initially this incident left me with a real bad taste in my mouth, but I have decided that I will purchase 3 more LX-5's for my boys for Christmas presents this year.  Hopefully, none of us will be sorry for my decision to stay with Marcum and not switch to VEX! 
mike

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but I did get a "reconditioned" unit as a replacement for my original "brand-new" unit.  The lady stated that they were waiting for parts for my original unit and that it would take an undertermined amount of time.  She asked if I would be willing to accept a reconditioned unit in order to speed up the process.  I asked if the reconditioned unit would carry the rest of the 2 year warranty and she said it would, so I accepted the reconditioned unit.  It (so far) works fine and I am anxious to get out on some ice with it.  Initially this incident left me with a real bad taste in my mouth, but I have decided that I will purchase 3 more LX-5's for my boys for Christmas presents this year.  Hopefully, none of us will be sorry for my decision to stay with Marcum and not switch to VEX! 
mike

Have you ever concidered adoption??? ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.