New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jeep on the ice - how thick is safe and is it legal??  (Read 3916 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking to possibly drive out on the ice - are there any legal restrictions? and how much of this year's solid black ice is safe?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Jeep on the ice - how thick is safe and is it legal??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I have seen guys drive on 8 but the only way I'll do it is if there is 12 or more, I have been on 3 different lakes this year, all 50 miles from each other and different elevations and they all had one thing in common, LOTS OF WHITE ICE
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Looking to possibly drive out on the ice - are there any legal restrictions? and how much of this year's solid black ice is safe?

Your handle will suite you if you do that.  Maybe in a different winter...on select bodies of water.  Black lake is the only body of water i've seen that done on in NY.  This year won't be one of them (about 6 in.s so far) .  Two years ago there was 18-22 in.s of ice on black (when i saw people driving on the ice).

Offline jch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:41 PM »
they say 4 inches if ice will hold a car but not my car lol I personally wouldnt drive on anything less than 12 -14 inches. last I knew it was legal to drive on the ice but if your car does go through dec will fine you big time till you get it out plus the expense of hiring a diver and wrecker to retrive it.    
fishing- a jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end of the line

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Thats not a red jeep is it?

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Nope - it is a black wrangler....oldie but a goodie. On the lakes around Albany there is 8-10" of solid black iceand i was thinkin about having some fun with the jeep.

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Personally I've had my truck out on the ice a few years back, but you won't find me out on the ice unless there is over 14" of good solid ice and a cold day before you see my truck out there.

8"-10" of ice might be fine, but I wouldn't. This is your life and some heavy fines if your truck would happen to go in the drink.

Just wait another week or so, so the ice is over 12"-14" before you driving on it with a truck.

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:23 PM »
for a truck about 14" for a 3/4 ton of good ice will be fine....for lighter vehicles about 10-12" of good ice.....should be enough here for the truck in maine!!! hows the ice there in NY? :)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:45 PM »
I have driven on plenty of lakes. None this year yet. I believe the least amount of ice is what we encountered last year at the Adirondack Get 2 Gether on Simon Pond.  What maybe 10-11" ????

I  would not think there are that many safe spots out there now becareful!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Here is what NY DEC website says.

Ice Thickness Table Ice Thickness Permissible Load
2 inches one person on foot
3 inches group in single file
7.5 inches one car (2 tons)
8 inches light truck (2.5 tons)
10 inches truck (3.5 tons)
12 inches heavy truck (7-8 tons)
15 inches 10 tons
20 inches 25 tons

Note: This guide is based on clear, blue, hard ice on non-running waters. Slush ice is about 50 percent weaker. Clear, blue ice over running water is about 20 percent weaker. Many ice anglers do not like to fish on less than five inches of ice, and do not like to drive a pick-up truck on less than 15 inches of ice. Use common sense!

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/icefish.html#theice

Your right Coldbum it was between 9-11" and we drove and parked out there with no problems except you catching my walleye ;). Good luck on Tanglefoot!

Robb :tipup:

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2007, 03:50 PM »
10" of black ice on onderdonk lake held the jeep up just fine - thanks for th info.

Offline Gas_Auger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:59 PM »
I have driven on 8" on Lake George 3 years back, and there were a bunch of full size trucks out there.  Just keep your door open a bit, so you can bail if need be.  The winter carnival parks hundreds of vehicles out on the ice in a foot or less.  Jus don't be the first vehicle.  follow the tracks.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:15 PM »
hear on lake luzerne every day and night is like winter carnaval, 10 in ice like 20 trucks out hear every night along with other cars, sleds,quads and any other vehicle you can imangine
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2007, 05:10 AM »
10" of black ice on onderdonk lake held the jeep up just fine - thanks for th info.
I have a buddy that is a salvage diver and not real busy at the present time  ;D

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:29 AM »
Years ago we use to take the truck out on Oneida Lake.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:27 AM »
There's a lot of cheap snowmobiles on the market now, cheaper than getting a diver to haul your jeep out .
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:15 AM »
No matter what if your Jeep goes down you have to pay to get it out of the lake. You can't leave it or division of water/wildlife dept. will get it out and bill you and you get a nice little fine for their trouble.
a little jiggle never hurts

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Two weeks ago three vehicles parked together on 6" of ice on Brant , needless to say we kept our distance .  ???
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline WalPerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:55 AM »
My group of High School buddies have kept alive our annual ice fishing trip for the past 35 years. We rent cabins at Wellesley Island State Park and fish the Lake of the Isles for NP. We drive out to our spot religiously and have only been unable to drive onto the ice a couple of times in that time period. We have had as many as 10 pickups parked 20 feet apart at one time as our group numbers 11. In all that time, I have not witnessed a truck breaking through and sinking, although one of our number broke one wheel through on a pressure fault one year. It gave all of us a good scare, but we hooked a strap on him and yanked him out.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:47 PM »
You better check the local laws too. Some towns have banned vehicles on the ice other than snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. You don't want to get a ticket.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline NYSPORTSMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:53 PM »
My Father call his insurance company one year when he wanted to drive his truck out...they told him that once all four of his tires were on ice his insurance was void!!  So unless u have enough money just sittin around to pay the diver and the high daily fines....I would wait for well over 12".

Offline solgrande

• IceShanty Rookie
  • waneta L NY-42"
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:08 PM »
I get nervous putting my sled on the ice let alone my truck!!!!GOOD LUCK

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:17 PM »
Ok you hear alot of stuff.
The one from the dec is close.
At simcoe our guide drove his jeep filled with over 800lbs of people and gear in it out to our hut.
* inches of good ice no problem.
But depends on the lake, snow/slush and current.
I have been on cuba and seen severaql trucks driving sorund and countless motorcycles and wheelers.
Ultimately it YOUR DECISION.
If there are pressure heaves then avoid them, if you have to cross them then one tire at a time go over on a angle.
NOT fornt then rears, Fron left, front right, back ECT you get the point.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.