New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!  (Read 8260 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Someone probably took that dog for a swim

Offline thinicewallyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Dogfish you gave me a great idea, I'm going to the shelter and get the meanest dog and tie him out in my favorite spot. Then I won't have to get up so early.

Amen

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:24 PM »
sponge with gravy  or a  faster  solution  ...my glock   ;D

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:26 PM »
next time wear cleats!!! ;D

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:35 PM »
   I had Dreads like that back in the 80's... ;D
I had them in the early nineties ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:37 AM »
sponge with gravy  or a  faster  solution  ...my glock   ;D
Trapp it sounds like the owners just don't like ice fishermen , just call the law and the owners can be ticketed
, I'm a dog person myself ,  dog rudeness shall not be tolerated ,

Offline kiotee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:05 AM »
If you think ice fishing is bad with clueless people try surf fishing sometime. People dogs and kids wandering through and around. People will go under your lines set for bottom fishing and behind you when casting

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:15 AM »
I had a dog that used to pester everyone at one of our honey holes a while back. I avoid the place because of the dog sadly. It sucks because the crappie can be pretty fierce.
We should be careful with the stories of swinging and shooting at them though.  ;D
Just gives non sporting people another reason to scoff at us. By all means... defend yourself against any and everything that threatens harm. Just keep the really good stuff to text messages with your buddies. Like I do.  :P
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Many years ago I had a male brittany spaniel that I occasionally took ice fishing.  I watched him (from far enough away that I couldn't do anything about it) pee on tipups, a guy's leg (from behind), and another guy's thermos.   This was on Saratoga Lake.  When I took him to Champlain he would go off and run in the woods near the shore and generally stay off the ice until he got (dog) tired. 

If I ever got another dog I would get a female for sure.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Someone probably took that dog for a swim

Patches, a pirate's best friend...

<°)))>{

Offline ChaumontDrahthaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Gotta have the dogs to keep the skim ice outta the holes. Hardwater hounds. Woof
Upstate Rod Benders

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Trapp it sounds like the owners just don't like ice fishermen , just call the law and the owners can be ticketed
, I'm a dog person myself ,  dog rudeness shall not be tolerated ,

pull their tails

Offline Traditionmatters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:02 PM »
We had a dog that was always sitting in the corner of the shanty 'lickin his paws. However, after a couple of hours and check to see if he was hungry and he ate a whole in the side of the Shanty! Never again!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:29 PM »
I have a dog and leave him home where he belongs I have had many an ice fishing trip and hiking day screwed up by off an on leash dog jumpiton me barking at me in an agresive maner and putting there feet in my holes with tip ups set up in then simply no respect for others trying to enjoy their day

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:35 PM »
They eat dogs in Asia, leave your dog home.

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:39 PM »
They eat dogs in Asia, leave your dog home.
Well that settles it! Me and the dogs are cancelling our ice fishing trip to "Asia"....lol

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:32 PM »
I was on Brant lake for the tournament on saturday. My buddy noticed 2 dogs running out on the ice towards us. They were white with alittle brindle color. From a far they looked like coyotes and we got alittle nervous. They both had no collars on and one of them had a docked tail. No owner anywhere in sight so we were convinced they were wild dogs. They were super friendly and licked my hand. They responded when we whistled them back but they seemed to be on the go. They ran to almost every group i saw out there and it was definitely an interesting experience. I wanted to take them home with me as i felt bad. Does anyone think these dogs had an owner? They just seemed so friendly we were not convinced they were strays. Ill see if i can post a picture of them. They looked to be healthy in weight as well. I cant figure out why the photos are uploading sideways but oh well.     

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:47 AM »
If a guy has trained a dog well enough to stay with him and not act menacing and bother people, I don't mind that. It's the other 98% that suck!

Offline sr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I had a dog that used to pester everyone at one of our honey holes a while back. I avoid the place because of the dog sadly. It sucks because the crappie can be pretty fierce.
We should be careful with the stories of pswinging and shooting at them though.  ;D
Just gives non sporting people another reason to scoff at us. By all means... defend yourself against any and everything that threatens harm. Just keep the really good stuff to text messages with your buddies. Like I do.  :P
SR

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:45 AM »
If a guy has trained a dog well enough to stay with him and not act menacing and bother people, I don't mind that. It's the other 98% that suck!
That is so right. No dog owner has a right to bring out dogs unleashed and allow them to bother other fisherman, PERIOD. Just because you may love your dogs and dogs in general doesn't mean that I want dogs running up, tipping off my tip-ups by smelling my holes, sniffing around my shack, pissing all over the place, and running all over. I go out for a peaceful day to relax on the ice and not worry about other peoples dogs, that's exactly why I don't own one!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2017, 01:55 PM »
OK I love ice fishing and I love my dog, I even like other peoples dogs. I hardly ever see them on the ice. I don't bring mine, but it seems some guys are complaining about something that has never happened to them. If you find yourself complaining about a dog running through your tip ups or peeing on your shack and what you would do about it even though its never happened then I don't know what to tell ya. Build a set of tip downs.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:35 PM »
This has all happened to me over the 35 years I have been ice fishing and the dog owners reply is always the same, Awe, they wont hurt anything!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Want to start out by saying that I do love Dogs .... But for the dogs well being, they need to be on a leash for ice fishing.

Most dogs are not smart enough to stay away from thin ice areas, and I have personally seen one go through, could not get out, and put several ice fisherman in jeopardy when they ran over there to rescue their dog.
They laid flat on the ice and were able to grab the dogs collar and pull it out of the water...scary stuff.

I saw another dog  run  full speed across the ice straight into open water where he saw ducks swimming,....... that dog was lucky , the open water stretched all the way to shore , and he was able to swim to safety.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Great point Choo Choo.

I love dogs........sort of. Our family has had several over the years. It was important for my kids to grow up with pets. Lots of serious life lessons to be learned from pet ownership.

Ive met a few dogs on the ice that were very nice pets. Well trained and well behaved. I've also wanted to stuff a few down a 4 1/2" hole in the ice........followed by their owner. These days I can do without them. All it takes is a trip to my Daughters house. She has a Golden Retriever and a German Shorthair. Takes me a week to get rid of the dog hair we track home.

In the end it's all about responsibility.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Great point Choo Choo.

I love dogs........sort of. Our family has had several over the years. It was important for my kids to grow up with pets. Lots of serious life lessons to be learned from pet ownership.

Ive met a few dogs on the ice that were very nice pets. Well trained and well behaved. I've also wanted to stuff a few down a 4 1/2" hole in the ice........followed by their owner. These days I can do without them. All it takes is a trip to my Daughters house. She has a Golden Retriever and a German Shorthair. Takes me a week to get rid of the dog hair we track home.

In the end it's all about responsibility.

Rg
Responsibility...thumb s up rg
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.