New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!  (Read 8261 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:41 AM »
How about putting a leash on the Drunks on the lake? Those loud mouths who F bomb every 3 seconds then stand out in the open Pizzing out their beer cause they are too full to drink another? Those same drunks who leave their chew cans, Cigarette butts and dead fish laying around. The same big mouths who never really fish but just walk around bragging how the lake sucks and in 10 years of fishing it they never caught a thing..   I love fishing with my dog she doesnt complain much nor does she get drunk.

i  agree 

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Couldn't have said it any better myself cold_feet  :thumbsup: some people make even the worst behaved dog look good  @)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Leashes for all drunks and children. Let the dogs run free!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:25 AM »
All in good fun guys. But seriously Keep your dog (and Drunks) under control. Respect others rights to have a  fun day on the ice.  Others are not liable to watch your pets while you fish. a Running dog always gets tangled in someones rigs it never fails so keep your dogs restrained while on the ice while they are with you.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Walking the beach at sandy pond with a friend and HIS dog one day and it lifts it's leg on a ladies cooler only to have my buddy yell for me to get MY dog.
Should have been leashed

The dog, or yer buddy?  ::)

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I took my shepherd husky beagle Heinz to a local pond to try some bluegill fishing.  There was no one else on the pond.  First problem, where do you hook up a leash while you cut a hole if you are just using a bucket?  Cut two holes while she dragged the leash around,  put one rod down started to rig the other and she ran through the first one, pulling the line out of the water and planting the jig in a tough spot to get at.  Reeled up lines, cut off jig and headed home, close to noon, vet closes at noon on a Saturday.  Used the heavy mono technique to remove the jig once the wife got over the cow she was having about the vet closing at noon. 

Drove 50+ miles south to fish Millcreek near Wayland with the pooch, got to parking spot, fish rising all over the place down from the bridge, dog gave me the pee wimper so I let her out, she immediately ran to the bridge and did a full gainer out into the pool, needless to at no feesh that day.

Took her to hike into a bushwack spot, cascade on a small brook trout stream, maybe 1.5 miles back in the woods, got within 1/4 mile of goal, and she disappeared.  Blew dog whistle for 20 minutes, then turned around and headed out she was rolling in a mudhole about 1/4 mile in from the truck.  After getting her thrown into the creek and semi-clean, drove home, never did check those cascades!

Hiked 2.5 miles into Pond with wife and dog, wife got beautiful trout ~16 inches, from shore while I was out in the canoe.  Before I could get in to assist, dog jumped fish in shallow water and line was severed.  Happened again later that afternoon with similar sized fish!

Dog stopped going fishing after that.  If God meant dogs to go fishing, he or she would have provided them with opposable thumbs!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:23 PM »
I took my shepherd husky beagle Heinz to a local pond to try some bluegill fishing.  There was no one else on the pond.  First problem, where do you hook up a leash while you cut a hole if you are just using a bucket?  Cut two holes while she dragged the leash around,  put one rod down started to rig the other and she ran through the first one, pulling the line out of the water and planting the jig in a tough spot to get at.  Reeled up lines, cut off jig and headed home, close to noon, vet closes at noon on a Saturday.  Used the heavy mono technique to remove the jig once the wife got over the cow she was having about the vet closing at noon. 

Drove 50+ miles south to fish Millcreek near Wayland with the pooch, got to parking spot, fish rising all over the place down from the bridge, dog gave me the pee wimper so I let her out, she immediately ran to the bridge and did a full gainer out into the pool, needless to at no feesh that day.

Took her to hike into a bushwack spot, cascade on a small brook trout stream, maybe 1.5 miles back in the woods, got within 1/4 mile of goal, and she disappeared.  Blew dog whistle for 20 minutes, then turned around and headed out she was rolling in a mudhole about 1/4 mile in from the truck.  After getting her thrown into the creek and semi-clean, drove home, never did check those cascades!

Hiked 2.5 miles into Pond with wife and dog, wife got beautiful trout ~16 inches, from shore while I was out in the canoe.  Before I could get in to assist, dog jumped fish in shallow water and line was severed.  Happened again later that afternoon with similar sized fish!

Dog stopped going fishing after that.  If God meant dogs to go fishing, he or she would have provided them with opposable thumbs!
They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!!! ;D ;D ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline bfelins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Just curious, not trying to start anything, but do leash laws apply in the woods or on a frozen lake? I have dogs and don't take them with me because I did once and the male kept peeing on the tip ups.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Most towns have leash laws for dogs and if your dog injures someone you will find the leash law applies all of the time.  Keep your dog under control at all time for their safety and others.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:06 AM »
I don't mind if someone has a dog that is misbehaving a little and they are constructively working on it. But to scream at it for the first ten minutes and give up and let the dog runamuck is no good. I understand the more time you spend with a dog, the better they become. Lift your leg once on a tip up ok, the third time....we got issues.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I know  you love your  dog ,I don't  keep him  away from me  my family and my stuff...period

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:52 AM »
I know  you love your  dog ,I don't  keep him  away from me  my family and my stuff...period
I respect that Trapper. We love dogs and don't mind them. But we also don't let  ours bother other people. We don't subscribe to that happy hippy dippy I love my dog so should you.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I respect that Trapper. We love dogs and don't mind them. But we also don't let  ours bother other people. We don't subscribe to that happy hippy dippy I love my dog so should you.

problem is   years ago  people  had  golden retrivers and  beagles  now   fools  bring pit bulls out .... my  wife  is handicapped  and  pretty helpless  2 years ago I  had to beat a  mutt with a  2x4  because it  went  after  her ....if the owner  said a  word I would have  beat his  dumb butt too

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:21 AM »
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. LOL.  :o

Offline wildlifer100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:14 AM »
These dog owners are the same ones that will complaint if their dogs gets caught in a leg hold trap.  Craziness.  I own a 100 acres so my dog can run and no one can say anything. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:18 AM »
my  dog  got  caught in one  of  my  fox sets   before  :roflmao: .... just  gave  me   a  hey   let  me  out will ya look

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Yeah My beagle got caught twice kept hunting. It's funny We adopted a pit bull last year. Always hated those dogs but she is a great dog. More bulldog then terrier. I won't take her ice fishing because she barks at people sometimes. It's definatly a friendly bark, but I don't want to make anyone I share the lake with uneasy. Bad dogs suck. Had a neighbor with a mean akita a two years ago. Almost killed it in my yard with a framing hammer when it went after my kid. I don't tolerate mean dogs not even my own. they go bye bye

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Well this subject comes up many times, like trash on the ice and the always present 10inch vs any smaller size hole!

I take my name from the fact that I always fish with my dogs.  When we hit the ice we set ourselves as far away from others as we can.  That way no one will be bothered if they don't like dogs.  My dogs are very nice and friendly though they are both handicapped one having only two legs that work and one with a degenerative eye disease making him partially blind. 

Now if someone decides I might be in a secret spot and comes over and sets up right next to me, well my dogs were there first and I am not going to tie them up.  it is obvious that I have dogs with me so anyone who wants to fish right next to me had better like dogs.  I will not stand for those people to all of a sudden be "Afraid of dogs" or want me to keep my dog away from them.  It was their decision to fish with my dogs. 
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I don't take my dog on the ice but overall I think it's nice to see them out there as long as it's not too cold or wet and the dog is clearly not having any fun.  I've seen these guys bring their beagle in a crate on their boat on Lake Champlain to troll for salmon when I launch at Westport.  Seemed a little too warm sometimes but as long as the dog had some shade and fresh water I guess it's all good. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:46 PM »
My dog stays at home, protecting whatever isn't with me..

Crazy dog!

<°)))>{

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:29 PM »
 Bet that dog doesn't get cold!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:39 PM »
dogfish your  dogs  sound  like  me  , half  blind and has  trouble walking  :roflmao: ...seriously  it's  great you  give them a good home

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Bet that dog doesn't get cold!

Got that right...

Loves wind and snow...

<°)))>{

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:52 PM »
On lakes I'm the summer i bring my boarder collie and my wife has a mini dashhound. My boarder collie has been bitten 3 times in her life while she's been on a leash. I normally don't keep her on the leash when I'm at the lake any more she would never go up to another dog. When she sees a dog coming she'll run towards me. She's been bit a few times so every dog that runs up to her she thinks is trying to get her . Stupid people walking with dogs are like " ohh look another dog let's bring them face to face and see what happens " or other stupid people can't control the animals and let them run loose and run after every dog they see .  A loose dog came running after my wife's little dog and my friend picked it up and stray dog jumped up and bit the dog in my friends arms . It's more the people being stupid than the dogs. If your dog won't listen to you ,don't bring it in public or at lease keep it on a leash it's not that hard.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Dogfish you gave me a great idea, I'm going to the shelter and get the meanest dog and tie him out in my favorite spot. Then I won't have to get up so early.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:39 PM »
 :roflmao:

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:27 PM »
My husky/lab and pit/lab ice fished with me all weekend at my camp on one of the Indian lakes. Gotta say, it was freakin awesome ;D  They're really well behaved and we were only 50' from my dock. Sooooo....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:29 PM »
My dog stays at home, protecting whatever isn't with me..

(Image removed from quote.)

Crazy dog!

<°)))>{

I had Dreads like that back in the 80's... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #58 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:36 PM »
pic!!!!!!!!

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:14 PM »
A couple years ago there was a dog (yellow lab) on Owasco and everytime I would go out it would be there. It came from one of the houses nearby. The people would call for it but it would never come. It ran around and growled at everybody on the lake. Barked at everybody. Set off tipups like crazy. Stole fish out of peoples buckets .. and was a big pita. When it would come up to me it would growl and show its fangs and I dont know how many times I swung my metal scoop at that dog, but it always dodged it. That dog was like a ninja I swear. I could never get it. I seen other people try, but he was just too quick. One day I was out with 3 friends and that dog was runnin around causing havoc like always. Then at one point I noticed there was only two friends with me. I looked back and there was the other guy sitting over a hole jigging with that dog snarling 2 inches from his face. I could tell my buddy was scared to move. So, I went back and snuck up real slow on that dog... I got right up to him and I swung that scoop as hard as I could....  and I totally missed and fell on my butt.. and thats when I gave up trying to hit that dog. It just kept being a pita for the rest of the season. The owners just kept letting run around the lake. I never seen it since. But of course its been a couple years since the lake has froze good enough to icefish. I hope they'll keep their dog locked up if it freezes again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.