New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!  (Read 8268 times)

Offline frozen nostrils

• IceShanty Rookie
People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:43 PM »
First and foremost I want to make the statement that I have nothing against dogs.  I don't have one, don't want one and don't want to take care of it. If you're a dog fan, great!  Enjoy the company.

Fished Shaver pond in Grafton and was surprised to noticed how many people just let their dogs run without a leash.  From ice fishermen to the people just out for a walk in the woods. Sure it was beautiful out.  I get it!  A walk with your dog is a fun experience.  When I went to leave a group fishing near the shore had a dog that wouldn't stay with the group.  All you heard was the owner calling it.  Now for my point of this post.  As I walked out to go home, the dog, of course,  was still running the woods free and the owner calling it.  Well ignorant dog owner want to know where your friendly dog was?  With me at my truck.  Your "Friendly" dog decided it wanted to play.  I never even acknowledge the thing nor paid any attention to it. I'm not here to deal with your dog.  So as I proceeded to pick up my sled and put it in the back of the truck.  YOUR FRIENDLY DOG  RUNS UP AND JUMPS ON ME ALMOST KNOCKING ME OVER THEN RAN OFF.  I'm freaking lucky I didn't fall and hurt myself good.    The dog never growled, barked  nothing. Not one sign of being mean. Where was the owner?  About half down the trail going toward the other entrance.  Not even on his way out.  Thanks IGNORANT DOG OWNER you and your dog almost ruined my day.  I don't blame the dog.  I blame the owner.

Grafton Lakes State park rule:  Household pets only; caged or on a leash not more than 6 feet, rabies vaccination and proof of same required. Not permitted in buildings or bathing areas.

Keep them under control and on a leash.  New York has leash laws for a reason. 

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: People, Ice fishing and Dogs!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:55 PM »
I have a dog and love him to death, but I agree.  This fall I am fishing in SR fly fish only section. Dog running everywhere. Not a place to for a dog. Hooks flying everywhere on back casts and hooks on the ground.   

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Did you catch any fish?

???
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:02 PM »
I have a dog and would love to take her with me but I dont because she would do the things you just described. She loves people and would be all over visiting all the people out there if I didnt tie her up.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:23 PM »
Once, twice,  have had unattended dogs invade my fishing space.  First time one ran off with my lunch.  Second time my perch  (dinner ).
Have owned a dog my entire life . Agree , I wouldn't put my dog or other people  in a bad situation.   There are places and times to spend with your pets that others,  like me don't wish to.

Good to hear your ok and it didn't ruin your day

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:35 PM »
I am a  dog person ...and  I understamd  you love  your  dog ...I  don't  keep him away  from me

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Me and a buddy fished this lake as teenagers every time we set up this lab mix would come out to visit with us she would hangout until we packed up would even come in the shanty we thought it was the coolest thing but in a state park i see where your coming from

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Walking the beach at sandy pond with a friend and HIS dog one day and it lifts it's leg on a ladies cooler only to have my buddy yell for me to get MY dog.
Should have been leashed

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:47 PM »
dogs  are  cool  except   some people  are  scared to death of  them!  dogs  get into peoples   stuff    they  run   when  you pull  fish get tangled  in  line  ...it's  not heathy   nor  safe  for the  dog ....  I  leave  a  tip up  out  of the  water  and  your  dog  eats the  shiner along with the  hook  .....not  to mention your   friendly  dog isn't friendly  when  alone!!!!  99% of  dogs that  bite  the owner says  nooooo my  dog would  never  bite ...... remember  they are  DOGS  ....keep  other people  safe  comfortable  and  happy   put  your  dog on a  leash  ...it  also keeps  your  dog safe

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:54 PM »
It's not the dog, it is the owner - which you explained very well in your post

We have neighbors that do not control or even try to train. It is amazing how much time you can put into a dog with training. I was out with my lab the other day at a park where I have ran him for 7 years, a lady pulls up and lets her dog out. It comes running right at me and my dog. My dog has a few health issues and do not want this dog coming at me, I yell control your dog and she yells back put your dog on a leash. My lab is just sitting there looking at this idiot dog running and barking at us. She finally got the dog back cussing at me for not having mine on a leash. I thought it was funny but in the end it is the owner not the dog.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Years back I was out on a lake with no one around me.  Off in the distance I see a guy and a dog walking out.  The dog spotted me and came running at full speed.  Once it got close I realized it was a big Rottweiler so I just stood still hoping it wasn't going to attack.  When it got to me it wasn't mean or friendly.  It just sniffed around for a bit, walked over to me, lifted it's leg, peed on me, then ran back to it's owner.  I guess I belong to that dog now.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I love dogs. Period.
But I don't want yours running through my gear and pissing everywhere.
Was out a couple weeks ago. There's was one dog on the ice. The owners, and I am not exaggerating here one bit, yelled that dogs name EIGHT HUNDRED TIMES in about 6 hours.
Suggestion... Put your dog on a leash or leave it home until it listens to you.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:13 PM »
if  a  dog  cam  running at me like that I  would  become  defensive ,  dogs  unless hunting   should  be leashed

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Hahaha!  At the bottom of this thread is an advertisement to train your dog!
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Years back I was out on a lake with no one around me.  Off in the distance I see a guy and a dog walking out.  The dog spotted me and came running at full speed.  Once it got close I realized it was a big Rottweiler so I just stood still hoping it wasn't going to attack.  When it got to me it wasn't mean or friendly.  It just sniffed around for a bit, walked over to me, lifted it's leg, peed on me, then ran back to it's owner.  I guess I belong to that dog now.

I would guess, you were the only "tree" he could fine...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:06 PM »
I've had dogs trip my polar tipups before. The owner didn't even apologize to me. Also when they come near me, the owners always say, oh they are friendly. I tell them I don't care about that, I tell them I'm more concerned with my sled that is full of exposed hooks.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:15 PM »
dog's a fine meal....just ask Benjamin Martin
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:48 AM »
I bring my 2 labs fishing almost every time I'm out unleashed. They are good about staying around the shanty or close by to us. So if you don't like dogs stay out of my spread  :thumbsup:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:18 AM »
Don't be afraid to drop knowledge on ignorant dog walkers.
I had a couple dudes approach me this weekend while I was out. 2 dudes had huskies pulling them on what looked like a bare skate board deck. It was really slick how well it worked, but these guys were clueless about how dangerous my sled was. They left with a little knowledge and almost took my woman with them after she fell in love with these dogs. Better luck next time.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:39 AM »
99.99% of  dog owners  are good people  but there  are   things  they don't realize ,I have  seen  dogs  grab  egg sacks  and hooks  and  eat them while steal head fishing  , I have  seen  dogs  get  hooks in them and  tangled  in  tip ups and fishing  rods,I have  seen  people   hit  dogs  to get them  away  and I have  seen the friendly  my dog would  never bite  put stitches in  children ..... you have  to  consider we live in a world   today where we promote handy cap  access .....a  dog  even a  very friendly  dog  can  easily knock  a  handy capped  person  down  and  hurt them  very bad.....  and  if  you really love your  dog  always  keep in mind  some  mean  soul that  hates  everything   would  take a  hook  and a piece of  donut or poison  just to hurt your  dog ....keep people  safe  and  comfortable and keep  your  dog  safe and  on a leash ..........

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:53 AM »
dog's a fine meal....just ask Benjamin Martin
Im in the same boat your in Beer belly.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:59 AM »
I love my dog , she's sitting right next to me, everyone that meets my dog loves her. That doesn't mean I drag her all over the place with me. Some people just don't like dogs, or are deathly afraid of them for reasons of their own.
If I was out on the ice and some nitwits dog ran over, knocked me down and I hit my head, I'd own their house!!! 
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:06 AM »
if  a  dog  cam  running at me like that I  would  become  defensive ,  dogs  unless hunting   should  be leashed
2X THAT,  leashed all the time,and clean up after them
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Walking the beach at sandy pond with a friend and HIS dog one day and it lifts it's leg on a ladies cooler only to have my buddy yell for me to get MY dog.
Should have been leashed

That's plain old awesome right there. ...  gotta give someone credit for being a quick thinker!  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:38 AM »
 The thing that worries me the most with dogs running loose is my razor sharp auger blades sitting outside the hut with no blade cover on. Now who's liable?

Offline Growler_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I love dogs, however  yesterday I was fishing and a dog came to say hi, he was mellow and just walked up sniffed me and walked over to my tip down, peed on it and left.  Jerk of a dog....

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:39 AM »
With all the bad said there can be some good times if you control your mutt. Snickers love to go out on the ice, she gets soooo excited to go fishing! She'll stare down a hole better than most diehards in anticipation of the catch. Very comical. And we make her stay. Plus she's a squatter. LOL

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:44 AM »
I am a dog man as well. My guy absolutely LOVES fishing. We take him with us all summer long on the boat because he is contained. I would love to be able to take him ice fishing with us, but I don't for these exact reasons. I know he would run all over looking to make new friends and if I kept him tied up to the shanty he would whine.

This problem is the same as most other problems going on right now. COMMON SENSE! There is a serious lack of it in our world today. I swear if we just took all the warning labels off of everything, the world would sort itself out in a couple years and those of us with common sense would be left to rebuild a better society lol.
Rob

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:29 AM »
How about putting a leash on the Drunks on the lake? Those loud mouths who F bomb every 3 seconds then stand out in the open Pizzing out their beer cause they are too full to drink another? Those same drunks who leave their chew cans, Cigarette butts and dead fish laying around. The same big mouths who never really fish but just walk around bragging how the lake sucks and in 10 years of fishing it they never caught a thing..   I love fishing with my dog she doesnt complain much nor does she get drunk. 

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I encourage bringing your dog fishing. ESPECIALLY ice fishing.  I personally think that anything negative, destructive or bad-behavior related that occurs with the dog is entirely the fault of it's owner. Be smart enough to know if your dog will behave well or not out there. Just as important, be careful on glare ice with your pups, too many falls will definitely lead to some hip problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.