New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Rumors of allowing Seven Tipups ?  (Read 7070 times)

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
Rumors of allowing Seven Tipups ?
« on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Anyelse heard rumors they are considering changing the 5 tipup + 3 hand line regulations to 7 tipups or any combination of tipups and hand lines?

I haven't found anything concrete on the subject though.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rumors of allowing Seven Tipups ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:27 AM »
now this rumor I wouldn't mind seeing. I don't usually jig but set one out deadsticking. would rather it a tip up to let me know when something strikes.

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:29 AM »
This change is proposed, let me find the link on the DEC website that discusses this...

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:36 AM »
This change is proposed, let me find the link on the DEC website that discusses this...

Good stuff... thanks

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:38 AM »
I understand it passed already and it will be any combination of 7 lines .

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Not sure if it passed, the comment period ended in December and it is under proposed regulations pending (under #2 at http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html).  You can see the details near the bottom (Section 10.4) here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/98481.html

The new text reads:
"(4) Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than seven ice fishing lines, with an ice fishing line meaning any device use for ice fishing through the ice (including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, rod and reel, etc.) may be used except where specified in this section or other sections of this Part."

One of the main things is changing "tip-up" to "ice fishing line", so I guess you could use 7 jig sticks if you wanted also.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Yep ...that's the rumor...7 devices...should eliminate a lot of confusion/discussion as to hand lines/tip ups/tip downs etc . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:50 AM »
so could this finally put an end to the "what is a tip down considered?"  ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I am not a fan. Take take take........more lines more fish jeepers. I hate picking up 5 at the end of the day to be honest.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:31 AM »
I am not a fan. Take take take........more lines more fish jeepers. I hate picking up 5 at the end of the day to be honest.
Ummmmm..............  Its not more lines, its less actually!   Technically you can have 8 now, 5 tip ups and 3 hand lines.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:37 AM »
i think this would be great and give the fisherman a little flexibility and less confusion. i for one would probably use the 7 tip ups.

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:48 AM »
The proposal says 15 points: " No person shall use an ice-fishing line that has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks."

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Looks like I will need to get some more tip ups!! 

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:54 AM »
My opinion is thats too much area for 1 fisherman to take up,if you have 3 or 4 guys on a small pond you can cover practically the whole ice surface,a very bad regulation IMHO! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(I can catch a limit with 1 rod and no electronics,you have to move to keep up with the fish.The lazy fishermen are really the winners on this one.I guess I'll have to get out early and set my dummy tipups around me to have some room to fish,can see the fistfights breaking out now over guys protecting their territory,BADBAD REGULATION!!!!!!!!!!! I said it again :o :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

FN

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:18 AM »
My opinion is thats too much area for 1 fisherman to take up,if you have 3 or 4 guys on a small pond you can cover practically the whole ice surface,a very bad regulation IMHO! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(I can catch a limit with 1 rod and no electronics,you have to move to keep up with the fish.The lazy fishermen are really the winners on this one.I guess I'll have to get out early and set my dummy tipups around me to have some room to fish,can see the fistfights breaking out now over guys protecting their territory,BADBAD REGULATION!!!!!!!!!!! I said it again :o :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

FN
Really!!! the lazy fishermen???? So your saying that guys that use tip ups to fish for species that don't readily hit a jig or spoon are lazy? That's quite a bold statement! I'm sure you've offended half the guys on this site.
I'm glad your such an expert that you only need one rod and no electronics, BIG pat on the back for you!!! Lets see you catch a salmon or a 25lb pike with that.
Most guys that fish tip ups usually have a couple hand lines anyway, so this really is not going to take up any more space than guys are already using, not to mention the fact that, as I pointed out in a previous post, its actually cutting out one whole line.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:21 AM »
This is a great change. I look forward to it.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Really!!! the lazy fishermen???? So your saying that guys that use tip ups to fish for species that don't readily hit a jig or spoon are lazy? That's quite a bold statement! I'm sure you've offended half the guys on this site.
I'm glad your such an expert that you only need one rod and no electronics, BIG pat on the back for you!!! Lets see you catch a salmon or a 25lb pike with that.
Most guys that fish tip ups usually have a couple hand lines anyway, so this really is not going to take up any more space than guys are already using, not to mention the fact that, as I pointed out in a previous post, its actually cutting out one whole line.
I think your misunderstanding his statement the " lazy fisherman" for lack of better terms are the guys that simply want to jig a little and don't want to tend a bunch of tip ups as well or the guys who choose to have a few perch tip ups close by that they can set up close together and not run 100 yards to their furthest tip up when they get a flag . Lazy is probably a bad choice of words but i think he means guys that just dont want to put a ton of effort in to fishing , just pop a squat and fish for a few hours and enjoy the day .

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I like it because it simplifies things and clarifies the regulation.  It will likely result in many people putting out an extra tipup (6 tip ups and a jig rod).   Six devices may have been a better number but I am not going to complain about it.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:44 AM »
when is this law put into use? next year? this year?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:50 AM »
when is this law put into use? next year? this year?

i think i read May 2015, but i am not 100% sure. it says somewhere i'm sure. i remember reading it

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Will take effect on April 1st, 2015.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:58 AM »

I'm pretty sure he meant passive vs. lazy. I'm a jigger myself and actually got jammed up a few weeks ago because 3 dudes locked down on an enormous area using all of the legal implements. It's a relatively small perch bed that they locked down...not that I fault them, but it was kind of a drag.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Well put Tigger,
            Thanks for clearing that up for me,I should of said not all but most.Good example jsmex.

FN

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Want more tipups?  Go to Lake Champlain (15 allowed).  Oh, wait, there's hardly any fish anymore -  could there be a connection?

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:04 AM »
you could use 7 jawjackers

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:07 AM »
if you cant catch fish in champlain ---then you need to try a little harder---ive never been skunked out there----never

Offline tree-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:38 AM »
When I'm being a lazy fisherman, I fish one jig stick, then one tip up and the jig stick when I move. It's the drilling the holes that is hard. ;D

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:55 AM »

LAZY FISHERMAN????   What a crock!  A successful tip up fisherman gets to his spot early, drills many holes, and hole hops and moves when hes not getting anything.  Add hole cleaning and upkeep and checking your bait often and you have a full day. Dude, stop sitting on your brain and think before you open your piehole.

FN
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Aside from the real estate that could be taken by 7 tip ups per personality, it doesn't change a thing. Clearer regulations are great. This change didn't remove daily limits or size limits. Just opened up the options and taking away confusion.

[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:09 AM »
I like it! too bad its after pike season ends but I think they planned it that way. I usually only have 1 jig pole going anyway so that means an extra tip up.
-Eggs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.