New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: So what did you learn this year icefishing?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline gubby

• IceShanty Rookie
So what did you learn this year icefishing?
« on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:27 AM »
Every year I learn something new. Last year I learned about iceshany.com and all the good places in NY to fish. This year I learned that I need to check my stuff before I go out for the first time at the beginning of the icefishing year, GOT TO LOVE THOSE MICE, but I bought a new ice shanty out of the deal which my 8-10 year old daughters love. took them out a few times this year and they loved every bit of it. When I am with them it's Catch & Release but that's OK it's the memories that are being made.  I also learned that I need a power auger, all this ice and out of shade the hand auger just not cutting it anymore. pain lots of pain.  All in all my season was good got some perch in the freezer. couple nice walleye fillets. now its time to go back to reality. Hope to hear from you folks next year. Best of look I'll  start reading Fishfinder.com come spring. Until next time.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: So what did you learn this year icefishing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I guess I learned it's just not as much fun fishing in sub zero temps as it was 10 years ago. For me anyway. :-\

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:52 AM »
I learned that without a Smitty Sled, it would have been a difficult year. Thanks Hardwater diehard!
👮👮👮

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:29 AM »
 I learned that I have to buy a snowmobile or 4wheeler  ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:42 AM »
That age is catching up with me and need to start some type of conditioning program especially if winters like this one become more frequent. I need to take more time to enjoy nature,was out for a few hours yesterday afternoon nice to watch some deer walking through the woods on shore line from the ice. In-line rod/reels and tip downs can be the ticket on certain days.
Steve

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2014, 03:23 AM »
Great question.  This year I learned a simple thing - that I will continue going ice fishing if I'm comfortable and having fun.  For me the only thing worse than being cold and not catching anything, is to have the same experience again.  And again.  Typically after a few days of this I just wouldn't be compelled to go ice fishing anymore, so I'd hide out in the house until the ice was off the lake.  However, this did not happen this year.

This year I started off the season by purchasing a two-man pop up tent.  It is easily the single most important game-changer I've discovered about ice fishing so far.  Normally when it's -20 I'd never think of leaving the house.  But having a tent meant I could actually be warm (with a heater) and therefore fish the whole day if I wanted. I'd see poor souls trying to stick it out.  But even if they were properly dressed, most would be gone within the hour.  Kids would be crying, and I'm sure parents crossed this activity off their winter list for the season.  Or for the rest of their lives.  I don't blame them - those people were me in previous years. 

Secondly having a tent introduced me to sight-fishing, and for those that don't know it's hands-down better than watching anything on tv!  Even though I've been fishing most of my life, this was the first time in ages that I was able to observe fish behavior.  I'd say the last time would have been while fishing off my grandparent's dock as a kid, watching the suckers inhale worms.  This season I learned among other things a lot about how a fish approaches the bait, and thus when it is best to set the hook. 

After getting the tent I was staying warmer and having some success catching fish.  I then started to explore different lakes that had different fish species.  And with this exploration came the understanding that I'll need different baits and different lures, so I better get a few more rods.  In one season I now have five rods, each set up for different conditions and species.  I also now have a fully equipped tackle box for ice fishing only, each compartment filled with pieces of terminal tackle in different sizes and colors.  Every item I put in there is absolutely necessary, from different jigs to crushed egg shells.

Finally the last thing I learned worth mentioning, is that I'll have more success catching fish with a fish finder.  This is related to the second part of my statement, that an activity also has to be fun.  I just picked up my first sonar last week.  If I wasn't already having fun, then the sonar is almost like insurance that I would find and catch more fish.  By my rationale then, having a fish finder means I'll have more fun!  Even though I've only had it for a week, all I can say is I'll never fish without one again.

While I can now say I'm comfortable and having fun, next week I'll be putting my statement to the test.  Next week I have decided to take my friend's kids ice fishing.  Making sure they're comfortable and having fun will be the true test of what I've learned this season.  Wish me luck :)

My apologies for the excessive detail, I didn't mean to write such a long reply.  I'm just only now learning what it is that compels each of you to ice fish, and now I think I finally get it.  Great question once again - it really made me think.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:06 AM »
I too learned about Iceshanty. I learned about smitty sleds, Ontario style shanties and I learned that this 50 yr old know-it-all does not know it all! ;) I also learned how amazing shanty members are and that they're willing to help others out. Wish I found this site sooner. Like the old Cher song, If I could turn back time....
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline icefly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2014, 05:34 AM »
I have learned that I keep enjoying Ice-fishing with my son and friends more every year. I also learned about a single spot that I can catch perch, walleye, lake trout and pike. I also bought a Jiffy Pro propane auger this year that worked excellent! 

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:06 AM »
I think we learn something every year. Maybe every fishing trip. We just need to pay attention to what it is. And maybe , not always about fishing. I learned that fish don't always like the same lures and colors every year, at the same spots. Always bring more food. Sometimes don't bring the jäger. I learned that it's always more fun to go with friends and loved ones. And yes, I need a power auger. Although I brag every year how tough I am when the ice doesn't get over 15 inches.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I learned  boogs  4  wheeler  will  go threw  anything  and   RJ  is  really getting  old 

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Wow, great question.  I think I learned a lot:
Oneida is a big lake!  But if you tackle one section at a time it is much easier!
A snowmobile is an awesome tool for ice fishing, especially with all the snow we've had this year.  I've always been a little nervous about the whole deal of the sled and hookups etc. but it actually made the whole experience much more enjoyable without having to pull all our gear out there.
Get to the parking lot early!  And if you're late, you better have plan B and C ready.
Bring someone who has never ice fished before with you.  It makes you look like a pro (I'm not) and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to come out again.  I got two converts this year!
Don't be afraid to move.  Even 25' can make a difference.
The guys in the bait shop do want you to catch fish, but sometimes, it is better for you to make your own plan.
All the big fish are not in the big lake.  I caught a 15" crappie in my farm pond no bigger than a half acre.  And four perch to boot!
And I already knew this: I LOVE ICE FISHING! 

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I guess I learned it's just not as much fun fishing in sub zero temps as it was 10 years ago. For me anyway. :-\

RG
O' boy rg you are right on,when I was in my 50's if I fell in[to knee's] I would just keep fishing
now I call 911
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I've learned you should quit while ur ahead! This is probably my last outing and it's looking like I'll be getting skunked. Not to mention it's pouring rain also!

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:36 PM »
I've learned that I really find tip downs and slammers to be a gimmick and not worth the clumsyness and bulkiness over traditional 4 way and folding slat  tip-ups. Tried the tip-downs and some friends slammers even though I never saw the advantage and was reassured the old ways are the best ways. Just my opinion, use what works for ya'.

Offline brotz55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:06 PM »
I learned that at 62 you should start collecting your social security check and buy a four wheeler with it..........  Learning more and more about ice fishing every year now that I am retired because of the info shared on Ice Shanty.  Give me one more week on the ice......   See you all next season

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:51 PM »
I learned there are a lot of nice people on the ice . I had a complete stranger give me and my son a ride off the ice at sandy pond when we were walking anouther complete stranger pull my 4wheeler off the ice at apps when the recoil rope broke. I have been give fish bait and advice from complete strangers. Glad to see there are still true sportsmen out on the ice. Thanks everyone that has help make this a successful come back to ice fishing.

Offline redsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I learned how much fun it is to fish in the freezing cold on ice can be. I also learned that I need to buy a lot of essential stuff for next year. Shanty, flasher and a new auger will Deffinately be on my list to buy. Also Thank You to the ones who pm'd me about either to help locate fish or tips. I truly appreciate it.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:05 PM »
I learned fishing for lakers is more fun than perch fishing.

Offline 1CE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:01 PM »
I learned no ice is safe ice and I shouldn't go alone in the dark. Went thru earlier this year and lost all my stuff.  Good news is after about 2 minutes and almost giving up I had one last shot of adrenaline and finally made it out.  Be safe out there.  I am hoping to get my stuff out once the ice is out & water warms up.

Offline redneckrmsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I learned I suck at hooking lakers while jigging,

FrankM

« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:15 PM »
I learned you can use a 20V Dewalt drill to blow a 7" Mora thru 2 feet of ice in a minute.  Beats the heck out of cranking by hand.  I can't believe how far cordless drills have advanced.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:18 PM »
cutting through 18" of ice with an 8" hand auger is a b***h!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:20 PM »
keep in mind that no ice no matter how thick is safe ice completly :P

i drove thru this 1 mile off shore alone on a sunday morning and was fortunate to make it out.  and then drilled thru 20" of ice right next to it ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:45 PM »
I learned thick ice is no fun to drill by hand but with a jiffy propane it is easy,also catching fish every time you go out is very hard to do,and when you are 5 miles out on the ice and have ATV problems you are very much alone.

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:15 PM »
I learned that using an 8" hand auger becomes impractical once the ice gets more than 2 feet thick.

This was a rough season for me. Started off great, earliest season I ever had. Was fishing in the Adirondacks before thanksgiving break nailing the pike in November (by far the earliest I've ever been able to go out). Came home to Western NY and was able to ice-fish over Christmas break for the first time ever which was awesome, and I did quite well!

Then I went back to college, when I got there the ice was the thickest I'd ever seen it and it just kept getting thicker, the temps barley ever got above 10 degrees and it was just miserable being out there, spend all morning drilling holes and all day de-icing holes with no rewards, didn't see a single flag all winter long once I got back, and it was just to difficult to try and move around with the extreme temperatures and thick ice. Good news is it got my arms in shape but for the first time ever this winter I got to the point were I stopped enjoying ice fishing, It was just so miserably extreme out there, which I could have handled if the fish were biting but they weren't an it sucked.

Good news is I'm home this week for spring break and finally catching fish again, and it looks like we may have finally rounded the corner with these extreme temperatures!

Offline kvolo12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2014, 02:03 AM »
I learned that I just have bad luck on the finger lakes. Tried Hemlock, Canadice and Conesus once apiece without a single fish on my tip-ups (Didn't get many opportunities to go out this year). On the plus side, I did learn how to fish for trout through the ice from my uncle. I also got into some good bass on a local pond. Caught a 5+ lb. largemouth through the ice!
Farmington

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:05 AM »
keep in mind that no ice no matter how thick is safe ice completly :P
(Image removed from quote.)
 i drove thru this 1 mile off shore alone on a sunday morning and was fortunate to make it out.  and then drilled thru 20" of ice right next to it ;)
I always use my spud[ALL the time] I am to old to swim
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:04 AM »

i love this post lol i learned that

this is a ciscoe

and they taste great and make awesome bait

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:04 PM »
block your hard shack up at least 8" better then using a chain saw to get your sack out
flag em and tag em

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Not all ice fisherman are good people.    A lot of scum out there.     50 % of people on here are looking for a hand out or your spot instead of doing thier own research
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.