New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Best place to live in NY...  (Read 7879 times)

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: Best place to live in NY...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Anything north of 845 is good.  I used to live down there, and it's just too busy now.  Those moving north from 212 are pricing the locals out.  I'm a 585er now.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline WalPerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:39 PM »
Guess I will have to throw my two cents in for CNY. I grew up in the Rochester area and have hunted and fished the area from Rochester to Ogdensburg. If you want quality fishing, you have to be close to Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. I now live south of Utica and east of Syracuse, just about dead center of the state. Very hilly and heavily wooded, many small lakes and excellent trout streams. Whitetails and Turkeys everywhere you turn. I can be anywhere in NYS in 3 hours. People with good life skills can find good work anywhere. I can hunt in the Northern Zone in 35 minutes, hunt with a rifle here in Oneida County. Oneida Lake is still the Perch and Walleye Capitol of NYS and is only 20 minutes from here. The Oriskany Creek flows through my back yard and I am only an hour and a half from the Delaware River. I get first ice, first snowfall (150 inches per year). I can be on Sodus Bay in two hours and Lake of the Isles in 2 1/2 hours. I wouldn't live near Albany or Buffalo for all the money in the world. Rochester and Syracuse are great small cities without all the blood-sucking politicians and Union bull-crap. CNY Rocks!

JasonUpstate

« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Man o man... there are so many quality replies here.. I am going to have to re-read all of them a few times.

So many choices....

What areas should I avoid in the capitall region?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Man o man... there are so many quality replies here.. I am going to have to re-read all of them a few times.

So many choices....

What areas should I avoid in the capitall region?

Arbor Hill!  The best part of the capital region is you can live in Colonie, and be in the woods or on the water in less than a hour ride in just about any direction.  I used to hunt up in Half Moon, and down in Cobolskill (lots of state land).
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2005, 01:56 AM »
     Gee. I have a house for sale in Colonie. A five bedroom 'Fixer Upper' with a two car garage on a corner1/4 acre lot, with producing pear trees, and a witches brew of herbs in the garden, and a two year old furnace on a hot water heating system. My neice is living there 'till spring when they can move into their own place.
     I'm currently West of Albany, on Rt.20, in Carlisle, not too far from anything, and lovin' it.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:06 AM »
Stay out of the cities of Albany, Schenectady, Troy. Look more for the suburbs or rural areas such as hill towns of albany and schenectady countys or schoharie, montgomery, Fulton, saratoga, renssalear counties.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:53 AM »
South Glens Falls
In the middle of the King and some of the best hunting in NY

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Can't beat Madison County.  It is right in the center of the state.  Tons of great fishing nearby.  I don't hunt, but there's alot of great hunting in the area.  Best of all, being in the center of the state, you're no more that a few hours from everywhere, just point the truck and go.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline timbertom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WALLEYES, WALLEYES AND SOMETIMES WALLEYES
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Saratoga Springs. Great hunting and fishing close by and lots to do dowtown, SPAC, racetrack, etc in the heat of the summer.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:42 PM »
BUFFALO HAS ITS ALL  HANDS DOWN   CATCH A BIG ONE

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:30 PM »
I'm reading all the (my areas better than your area) and I find it all to be true. Anywhere in NYS you can find a job and affordable property is a plus. The outdoors activities abound in this great state.From lake Erie and Ontario to the Fingerlakes and north to the St Lawrence river down through the Adirondacks through the Hudson valley to the Catskills the Southerntiere and to the ocean.It really does make it a choice of what do you really like to hunt , fish or trap for the most.I live in the Fingerlakes and travel the country some and there's no place like home.Everywhere I look in NYS I see what a lot of states wish they had! Good luck!
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline SUNYESF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2005, 05:26 PM »
I never saw you catch a walleye!!! only bass. guess i will have to show you how its done this winter.

recordbreaker, from what I hear the only record you hold is the most consecutive days w/out landing a fish..lol

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Well my choice for the best place to live in NY has to be Buffalo as well, even if the question was, where is the best place to live in the whole world? After I finish this last bit of military time I will be back there and ready to hit all the hotspots again starting with a 3 month ice fishing trek in 2007 to my favorite lake in NY; Chautauqua. Also, 2007's Ice Team NY tournament is on the agenda as well. But, to stay on the subject, between the food, Lake Erie, neighborhoods, and locality in regards to other great fishing destinations like Oneida, Cuba, Chautauqua, and Silver Lake. Buffalo hands down will be the place that I call home again in December 2006. I've been all over and so far nothing comes close!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Saratoga Springs. Great hunting and fishing close by and lots to do dowtown, SPAC, racetrack, etc in the heat of the summer.

I'm with you (well, Ballston Spa).  If you don't believe us, ask Bill Parcells, he's building a huge house in Saratoga.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:43 PM »
northern maine hands down. the last true willderness area in the northeast. half of your buddies are up here trying for one of our 300lb whitetails or our 60in. plus moose. the great allagash ! maine rules baby!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:04 PM »
northern maine hands down. the last true willderness area in the northeast. half of your buddies are up here trying for one of our 300lb whitetails or our 60in. plus moose. the great allagash ! maine rules baby!!

The topic was best place to live in New York, bud...

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:27 PM »
BUFFALO HAS ITS ALL  HANDS DOWN   CATCH A BIG ONE

heck yes...lake erie alone is the best fishing on the planet.  the only great lake that freezes over entirely, the perch fishing is RIDICULOUS and the summer smallies are mammoth. 

the smaller lakes offer some excellent variety, and we are a 1.5 hour hike away from the southern tier for some great hunting.

oh, and our bars are open till 4  ;D

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:55 PM »
I have to say saratoga county is a very nice area ,with many nice hunting and fishing area's.
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

bonkfan14

« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:24 PM »
well i think the best place to live in new york would be directly in the middle of it...so know matter which way you go you will be leaving....( just my opinion)...zeke..

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:26 AM »
I think we can all agree on one thing... that the state of New York is a sportsman paradise! 

I lived in Northern Virginia for 3.5 years and missed the fishing terribly!  I am now back in Rochester, where are there are no less than a dozen excellent places to fish less than an hour from my house, including a great trout stream a half mile from my house in the suburbs!

I grew just north of Buffalo.  My only complaints are that Lake Erie takes too long to freeze and the job market wasn't that great.  However, you can't beat the cost of housing there in WNY.

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Chenango/Madison counties-awesome fishing,hunting and just plain lovin the outdoors.Resonable housing costs with some towns having municipal power-say avg cost per month 30.00$ yeah 30 dollars a month for electricity.Very nice school distiricts.Jobs do vary but there are many in the human services feild-like ARC and such.You can be on the Salmon River in 1 1/2 hours.Youre not too far from the Adirondaks.Oneida Lake is less than an hour away.Nice semi crime free area to raise a family.Not to mention the area is very picturesqe.Come visit and you'll see.The madison county chain rocks to icefish.Peace and One Love Happy 420 and all that BigD
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my girls fishin'
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Livonia, NY

2 min from Conesus Lake
5 min from Hemlock Lake
7 min from Canadice Lake
12 min from Honeoyo Lake
30 min from Oatka Creek
35 min from Canandaigua Lake
45 min From Lake Ontario
1 hr from Cayuga Lake & Keuka Lake
1 hr and 30 min from Lake Erie
1 hr 20 min from southern tier hunting

3 hrs from the Adirondacks

Smack dab in the middle of NY is the place to be other than the taxes.

Mike

Offline jmh8098

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:24 PM »
New York sucks, stay away, we dont have no stinkin, fish, deer, turkey, or anything for that matter.  Just kidding!  I grew up in the Greater Glens Falls area and I have to say my heart will always be there.  Great place to raise a family.  Lake George in your backyard.  Albany 45 mins away, the Civic Center, great hospital, Skiing at West Mountain, you cant beat it.

Jason

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:34 PM »
I'm just glad to be alive to fish any place i choose in this state

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Central NY, Syracuse area.  40 minutes to Lake Ontario and Salmon River, an hour to the Adirondacks, an hour+ to the St. Lawrence, 20 minutes to the Finger Lakes, tons of State Land within 30 minutes.  Now if we just had some jobs here....
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.