New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hundred Acre Pond Mendon,NY  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin better than seein a flag go up
Hundred Acre Pond Mendon,NY
« on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Does any one know anything about hundred acre pond in mendon,NY , hoping to fish there this weekend and wanted to know if anyone has any info on the ice conditions?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hundred Acre Pond Mendon,NY
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:08 PM »
A lot of guys asking lately, but no one has good reports. I would wait a few more cold days

Offline nh3fitter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:50 AM »
There are LMB and small northerns good place for family's and kids I've tried jigging pan fish with out much luck. There is another pond about 1/2 mile south of the main park with standing timber in it I always wanted to go check it out but it's a good walk back and the legs might not like it.

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:40 AM »
There are LMB and small northerns good place for family's and kids I've tried jigging pan fish with out much luck. There is another pond about 1/2 mile south of the main park with standing timber in it I always wanted to go check it out but it's a good walk back and the legs might not like it.
Ya I've never had luck jigging in the big pond either but the back pond has some nice bass pike and crappie, but, I was thinking that since the big pond is so shallow that there would be safe for tomorrow...

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Ya, jigging bite is the worst in those ponds. Not sure if I know where the standing timber pond is. These ponds have gone downhill. Too many people taking fish out of them. Take fish from large bodies of water, not ponds

Offline himhofh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • dedication gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I agree. they should make Mendon Ponds catch and release for a few years to build it back up.
There were people on Braddock's Bay yesterday just past the docks. I plan on going Friday

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I agree. they should make Mendon Ponds catch and release for a few years to build it back up.
There were people on Braddock's Bay yesterday just past the docks. I plan on going Friday
i figured if people were out on Braddocks then mendon would be fine for the weekend, I think that the number of pike in the ponds is just to high and overpopulated...

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:42 PM »
i figured if people were out on Braddocks then mendon would be fine for the weekend, I think that the number of pike in the ponds is just to high and overpopulated...

What about the bass population? I use to catch tons there in spring, but now it is impossible. I know there was a big fish kill there a few winters ago. Snow got too deep, blocked out the sunlight, causing oxygen depletion. Tons of fish dead on shore and bottom after ice out

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Ya I noticed that the number of bass depleted greatly, we would always catch at least one or two nice bass there and I haven't seen one caught in a year or so...

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Its a good family place if you are looking for easy access, and a bathroom close by, but not so good if you are hoping for a lot of action.  As they said, you are not going to jig up many fish there.  Usually set up tip-ups for pike and bass.  I have had many a day where we catch nothing.  However, there are good sledding hills in the park if the kids get bored with fishing!

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Its a good family place if you are looking for easy access, and a bathroom close by, but not so good if you are hoping for a lot of action.  As they said, you are not going to jig up many fish there.  Usually set up tip-ups for pike and bass.  I have had many a day where we catch nothing.  However, there are good sledding hills in the park if the kids get bored with fishing!
Last year and over this summer we had days where we would catch 10+ pike on tip ups but there not always the largest fish...

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:17 AM »
very sketchy ice, went in off Hopkins pt, drilled holes, 3 inches black ice about 75 yds off shore, drilled a hole 76 yds off shore and was no more than 1.5 inch.   still open water cause geese.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:26 AM »

When the ice gets safe, the BEST family place around Rochester to ice fish is off of Vitale Park on North End of Conesus Lake.  Heated and clean bathrooms at the parking lot makes it easy for Momma and girls, easy walk onto and off the ice, PLENTY of bluegills that will keep everyone happy all day long!  :tipup:   Sitting around on a frozen wasteland like Mendon Ponds Park and not catching anything isn't fun for the kids.  Get kids hooked on ice fishing by bringing them to a place where they can be successful.   Just my 2 cents.

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:35 PM »
very sketchy ice, went in off Hopkins pt, drilled holes, 3 inches black ice about 75 yds off shore, drilled a hole 76 yds off shore and was no more than 1.5 inch.   still open water cause geese.
Thanks for the info, if it survives tomorrow it will make great ice for later in the week

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Has anyone been out to hammer those hammer handles ? Lol. Just wondering how ice is

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I'll probably head to mendon tomorrow, Braddocks and the ponds around it have been very unproductive, gonna see if we could get some luck on the big pond. If anyone has any info on the pond and the ice conditions that would be great...

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I'll probably head to mendon tomorrow, Braddocks and the ponds around it have been very unproductive, gonna see if we could get some luck on the big pond. If anyone has any info on the pond and the ice conditions that would be great...

Heard thru the grapevine that someone tried there Thursday but the ice was no good. They tried elsewhere. I'm not sure how true that report is. Hopefully someone has a more accurate one for ya. I find it hard to believe that the ice was no good. How far of a drive is it for you? I live about 15-20 min from there. Wish I was closer to check it out for you first hand

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Heard thru the grapevine that someone tried there Thursday but the ice was no good. They tried elsewhere. I'm not sure how true that report is. Hopefully someone has a more accurate one for ya. I find it hard to believe that the ice was no good. How far of a drive is it for you? I live about 15-20 min from there. Wish I was closer to check it out for you first hand
Wow that's not a good sign but I'm about a half hour away, I'll still see what it's like and maybe go to braddocks or somewhere else if the ice isn't safe.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Wow that's not a good sign but I'm about a half hour away, I'll still see what it's like and maybe go to braddocks or somewhere else if the ice isn't safe.

I was kind of surprised to hear it wasn't good, but again that was hearsay. Being that shallow, you would think it would be good to go. Might be methane pockets that keep it open in some spots, who knows.

Spud if you go. Stay away from cattails

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:12 PM »
100 acre is fine, big patch still open cause the birds, but just don't go near em and ull be on 6-7 inches. don't know about other ponds, havnt been on them

Offline Tim_Gridley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:22 PM »
100 acre is fine, big patch still open cause the birds, but just don't go near em and ull be on 6-7 inches. don't know about other ponds, havnt been on them
Thanks for the report might go there tomorrow then and fish the cove, normally fish the middle and spread out from there. How much open water was there?

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:45 PM »

My understanding was that the guy walked towards the channel between the two ponds when he found some thiner ice. Sounds like it should be fishable in many areas of the pond, just be careful-and stay away from the Devo Cattails.....

Offline 40inchplus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Although I no longer live near the pond, I've been told by friends and family that the ponds have decent ice. Despite the fact that many knock the ponds for being overpopulated and devoid of big fish, just five or six years ago, a guy got a 44 incher out of 100 acre pond -- it made local news in the D&C.  If you fish the pond, you're likely to catch a lot of small pike and abundant numbers of big largemouth.  It should be noted, though, that with good luck, a trophy pike, bass or crappie can be caught from the big pond.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:13 AM »
I have been living close to Mendon since the mid 1990s and usually fish it a few times a year.  Most of the pike I catch are in the 18-23 inch range.  The biggest I have caught is 26.  I have never anyone catch one over 30 inches.  While I don't doubt that there are a few monsters out there, it is rare that someone gets one that size.  The past few years, the winter bass catch seems to have gone down too.  We used to almost always get at least a few every time out, but we did not get any last year, and only saw a few caught.

The fishing there seems to be cyclical and vary from year to year.  Hoping that this year is better then the last!

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:01 AM »
Keep feeding people pipe dreams of monster fish from a tiny body of water and there will be no fish left at all.
 If you want a chance at a giant, go to Conesus.
 PS. My buddy stepped on a weak spot and  fell through at Round pond yesterday, the ice is by no means totally safe yet. Mendon is known for gas holes and current that weakens the ice. It was snow covered so you couldn't see it.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Although I no longer live near the pond, I've been told by friends and family that the ponds have decent ice. Despite the fact that many knock the ponds for being overpopulated and devoid of big fish, just five or six years ago, a guy got a 44 incher out of 100 acre pond -- it made local news in the D&C.  If you fish the pond, you're likely to catch a lot of small pike and abundant numbers of big largemouth.  It should be noted, though, that with good luck, a trophy pike, bass or crappie can be caught from the big pond.

Remember that-probably closer to 9-10 years ago. But there was a big die off (oxygen starved-two much snow on ice early) a few years ago and pretty much the bass/Pike are smaller ones and fewer ones. So don't go there with big expectations but enjoy....

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Remember that-probably closer to 9-10 years ago. But there was a big die off (oxygen starved-two much snow on ice early) a few years ago and pretty much the bass/Pike are smaller ones and fewer ones. So don't go there with big expectations but enjoy....

X2

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:49 AM »
And....Most importantly....if you catch the big one,take a quick picture and send him back through the hole. The season is closed ! :tipup:
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:47 PM »
And....Most importantly....if you catch the big one,take a quick picture and send him back through the hole. The season is closed !
Bass season is, but pike is not.  But good point.  There are so few trophies there, throwing it back is a good idea in hopes that someone will get to experience it too.

As Mike and Devo pointed out, the fishing there is not quite like it used to be.

Offline 10bucketbigwillie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:20 PM »
don't go there at all i just bought the ponds and they are posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.