New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: utv for icefishing  (Read 8064 times)

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
utv for icefishing
« on: Sep 19, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Is anyone using a side by side for icefishing in n.y. reason I ask is local co told me if he found me on ice with my gator he would ticket me for unlicenesed atv. but the state offers no way to register them.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: utv for icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:19 PM »

I don't understand NYDMV, why don't they treat gator's as regular 4 wheeler's. Look @ the revenue they are loseing! ??? :o

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:37 PM »
I looked up NY state CO regs...it IS illegal to ride an ATV on "ice" or a frozen lake... :o
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!! That even beats some of Minnysoda's less-than-intelligent laws. So, a 4x4 pick 'em with a 12" lift kit and mudders isn't considered an "All terrain" vehicle?? Sounds like it's time for a Sportsman's lobbying session....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I know in new York if an utv is 800 lbs or less it qualifies as an ATV and can be register.  If it is greater it doesn't fall under DMV law.  I own an utv been checked on ice many times an was only told by authorizes to makes sure I have a orange slow moving triangle on it.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I looked up NY state CO regs...it IS illegal to ride an ATV on "ice" or a frozen lake... :o
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!! That even beats some of Minnysoda's less-than-intelligent laws. So, a 4x4 pick 'em with a 12" lift kit and mudders isn't considered an "All terrain" vehicle?? Sounds like it's time for a Sportsman's lobbying session....
No a pick up with 12" lift and mudders is a BAD BOY BUGGY. LOL

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2012, 06:31 AM »
Had trouble registering a Rokon last year. It wasn't listed in their database as a vehicle of any kind. Ended up with an ATV registration after explaining what it was.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2012, 11:29 AM »
we use our lifted golf cart if there isnt enough snow for the sled. checked with the local warden and he said that a golf cart is no different than a lawn mower to him. here is a lil something from an earlier post this hear regarding nys dmv.

Quote from: flipper358 on Jul 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Does a golf cart need to be registered and insured in NY? or any other state.

Nope, the dmv has not realized that they can make a dollar on it yet. i checked into it quite a bit and they told me that i can not register it. Lights, seatbelts and all the other bells and whistles that nys requires for inspection wont matter to the dmv. they explained it to me that any vehicle that resembles a golf cart can not be registered in nys.  the local wardens that i spoke with said that it was no different than a lawn mower on the ice. but that was just the warden i spoke with. slow moving sign and i bring the helmets out with us and they haven't said anything yet. basically there is no law against it, and no law allowing it. although club car now makes a LSV that is able to be registered in ny. go figure!!   As for insurance, it wouldn't hurt.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline oglenforfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:26 PM »
i have been out on the ice before plenty of times on a atv never had a problem. how is it illegle to ride a atv on ice? people on lake George do it all the time including me!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:48 PM »
i have been out on the ice before plenty of times on a atv never had a problem. how is it illegle to ride a atv on ice? people on lake George do it all the time including me!

I think it's one of those deals were the DEC officers turn their head the other way. In regards to ATV's on the ice

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:20 AM »
             I was fishing up on Lake Pleasent, the parking area is across Rt. 30, when I came off the ice a state trooper was there, he couldn't see my plate so he stopped in to check it It doesn't have to be  DEC officer.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:41 AM »
I think it's one of those deals were the DEC officers turn their head the other way. In regards to ATV's on the ice
deff not true, try getting on the ice with an unregistered atv or sled at million dollar beach during the winter carnival without a regi.though i have talked with the law on the ice and was never asked for ins. or regi also there have been plenty of times the regi and ins was asked for before my fishing license or bait receipt. also i'm pretty sure as long as you put 1 of those orange triangles on your utv while on the ice and aren't driving around like an idiot the law tends to look the other way, though it is still not legal to be on the ice with out registration.

Offline oglenforfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:06 PM »
ok i have found the only thing regarding ice with atvs in ny is to never ride the ice or public water within 100 feet of a person, fishing shanty or shelter at a speed greater than necessary to keep the ATV moving.  ;D :tipup:

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:55 PM »
you can have atvs on the ice just need insurance and registration.....side by sides need insurance and an orange triangle
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:00 AM »
You need to look at bill # A01141 (snowmobile non trail) which has been stuck in transportation for the last 4 years.  This is the same kind of bull that  will happen if you persue a side  by side registration.  It all comes down to the NYSSA having the lobbying power so they can make money on club memberships.  More bull 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2012, 08:13 PM »
We have been riding the atv's on the ice for several years and the man has checked us several times at the launch, coming and going on two different lakes. What may explain the comment about the CO regs prohibiting atv's on the ice is what one told us at the launch at Sacandaga last year-he said he was forbidden from riding on the ice for safety reasons, by which I thought he meant any CO.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:45 AM »
I don't know where you all come up with some of these "Rules".

I have a S X S ATV that is NY registered and insured and run it on the ice when ever the lake is legal to do so. Been checked every time and as long as I am legal there is never an issue.

Legal means registered, insured, helmet on and if towing a sled it has to have a hard hitch. Driving fast is a big No No if you are withing 100 feet of others.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:53 AM »
I don't know where you all come up with some of these "Rules".

I have a S X S ATV that is NY registered and insured and run it on the ice when ever the lake is legal to do so. Been checked every time and as long as I am legal there is never an issue.

Legal means registered, insured, helmet on and if towing a sled it has to have a hard hitch. Driving fast is a big No No if you are withing 100 feet of others.

(Image removed from quote.)
thought dmv went by the wheel base and weight, my buddy has a polaris ranger 6 wheeler and he can not register the vehicle in ny those razors have same whhel base as the big atv's and are a lot lighter than the bigger work type side by sides

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:03 AM »
The sport models are under 1000 lb therefor they can be registed as a atv the break is at 1000lb

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:19 AM »
The sport models are under 1000 lb therefor they can be registed as a atv the break is at 1000lb

YEP! Stock RZR is under 1000 pounds and under 50 inches wide so they are listed as ATVs.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.