New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: new ice fishing equipment  (Read 7331 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: new ice fishing equipment
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:28 AM »
the gander mountain in tonawanda ny has started to put out ice fishing stuff. I did my rounds and climbed in all the huts and tested them out, played with the fishing poles and all the accessories. Only maybe half of the stuff is out but enough to get me going. I picked up a medium sized otter sport sled, a new set of blades and a blade sharpener. The blade sharpener didnt really sharpen my old blades but kinda took out the pitted areas. I guess it is more for maintaining the blades before they get all pitted up.

Yeah I have been using my dads Jet sled the last couple years.  He uses it for duck hunting to carry his decoys around and float them out to set them.  I have yet to put a hole in it yet but I to am looking at that medium sled.  for 40.00 I think its a good deal and something I can use.  I will be able to take it out when I use my hub and tow it behind my 1.5 man that has very limited sled space.  Maybe tomorrow when I have my pick up I will stop and grab it.  Then I should be done with ice fishing gear for the year. 
So far for the year I have bought:
2 jigging poles
4 spools of ice line
2 rapalas
a lowrance x67c
5 clackin raps
a used clam 1.5 man pro trap.

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:19 AM »
last year I was too late on buying a sled and they werent getting any more in so i hopped on one as soon as i could. they had a bunch of sleds in stock right when you walk in. I got all the big stuff last year so i wont go broke again this year. I have a voyager thermal I got 100 dollars off toward the end of the season and a vexilar fl-8 for like 289. only bad thing about the voyager it dont fit in my jeep and just barley in my wifes explorer with the seats slid up al the way forward. or ill just have to take my dads pick up. I also dont have a machine to pull my hut so if it is just me and theres alot of snow i get a work out dragging it out.  hoping that otter sled will make life easy on me a few days this winter

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:23 AM »
so whats so special about the new  normark micro auger?  ( why micro? )  I'm thinking about a strikemaster lazier 6 inch... i have a Eskimo now that Ive been using, always put the guard on...  still sharp, but i think i can do better ???

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:38 AM »
so whats so special about the new  normark micro auger?  ( why micro? )  I'm thinking about a strikemaster lazier 6 inch... i have a Eskimo now that Ive been using, always put the guard on...  still sharp, but i think i can do better ???

when not in use, it folds down to 22 inches...very lightweight.....double offset handles...I have seen videos of how fast and easy it drills......plus the new Lazer that came out at the TB port mod get together was 118 bucks...95 for the Normark Micro....Fish307 has the Finbore III which is also a very good piece of equipment.

Offline lookin4lakers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2011, 02:08 PM »
i need new snowpants any suggestions?

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2011, 02:11 PM »
I use my snowmobile bibs made by choko.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Carhart arctic wear bibs.  the pockets on the chest make the bibs.  plus they are very warm.  i wish they were a bit more waterproof though.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I wear BoneDry  bib an jacket set from Redhead aka Bass pro shops.  Totally water proof and wind proof...lots of room to layer underneath....a lot cheaper and works just as well as those ice suits....plus it is camoflauge!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:30 PM »

I ordered a set from Cabelas for half price last night.  They have a clearance on all of "last years" stuff for the insulated gore-tech outfits.   Ordered a $700 set for $300 shipped.  Think the bibs were going for $159.  You can find it in the bargain cave online.  Kind of difficult to find but it's a good set.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:24 AM »
any body ever use clack n raps through the ice.  I see alot of hype about them.  I know the darters didnt suceed for me last year but they were light and i didnt get the feeling I wanted from them. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2011, 06:05 PM »
this year far as new is a hds5 lowrance ,and some eye catchers  ;)

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Marcum Showdown duel beam, a 2 man shanty maybe the clam 2000.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:04 PM »

Ice armor...just bought a set last year and couldnt be happier!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:03 AM »
has anyone seen in person the under armour bibs.  I fish 98 percent in my shanty and they look light and comfortable.  I dont even know where I would find them at a store.  Herb Phillipson, gander, or bass pro do not have them out. 

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:41 AM »
150 is alot cheaper then buying any type of fish finder for ice fishing.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Eskimo Quick Fish 3
5lb LP tank and buddy heater.
Next is new blade for the power auger.
 :tipup:Bring on the ice.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Welp having a gander mtn less than 5min. From my house is proving to be great for the economy. Just bought my 3rd ice hut and my 1st flip top. Got me a frabill trekker DLX...I couldn't resist buyin er so I better like er...and I may or may not have bought a couple fist fulls of some jigs  ::)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Did you get the hds5 with the ice pack/machine? like the x67? 

I have the hds5 on my boat and was looking in reeds yesterday at the pack for them.  for 150$ i dont see how i can go wrong...

no i bought the pack to , if i'm going to do it i thought i should do it up right and be done with it and i will report on how it all works good or bad ,cause i'm not a brand guy

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I bought a pair of frogg togg bibs light weight and very water resistant and windproof...if u fish out of a heated hut they are perfect...u won't sweat your tail off walkin out and u won't sweat your tail off once your heaters on...they aren't fancy shmancy like the ice armor gear but u have a few extra dimes to buy more jigs b4 u hit the checkout line  ;)

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:09 PM »
stupid question but where did you get the 5 lb propane tank and how much. I have been looking online for one but theyre like 70 plus shipping and i am almost to the point to say screw it and lug around the 20 lber from the grill

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:24 PM »
stupid question but where did you get the 5 lb propane tank and how much. I have been looking online for one but theyre like 70 plus shipping and i am almost to the point to say screw it and lug around the 20 lber from the grill
gander mtn used to carry them not sure if they do anymore...but those suckers are pretty heavy compared to 3 or 4 1pounders and if u get the adapter u can refill them from your 20pounder for half the price of buying them from the store

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #51 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:04 AM »
stupid question but where did you get the 5 lb propane tank and how much. I have been looking on line for one but they're like 70 plus shipping and i am almost to the point to say screw it and lug around the 20 lber from the grill

My brother was getting rid of a grill that had one on it so I bought a 20lb tank full for 40 beans and took the 5.
I also was looking for one on line and in stores figured it should be like 30 but was I wrong :-\
I cant understand the price of the smaller tanks 20# 40 bucks 10 or 5 lb 70~100 ?
Thomas Harris

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #52 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:32 AM »

Look at campersworld they have them. Also RV dealerships carry them.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #53 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Wow thanks I think I'll grab a new one so one is always full.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/refillable-steel-propane-cylinders/9445
Thomas Harris

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:21 AM »
i think ill get one of them thanks for the link.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:53 PM »
  Arriving anyday now will be a Normark 6" fin-bore micro folding auger. Looking forward to trying that out since I somehow lost the 8" strickmaster lazer? IDK where that went mid season..
  And hopefully a sled,...never had one.
   Got the sled!! Don't really now how to even start it but I have it  :thumbsup: Thanks to my wife!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I want a 5lb myself.  I found them on ace hardware sight for a little over 50.00 with shipping.  I dont want to lug around a 20lb cylinder and I think a 5lb would be great.  i go through 2.5 1lb a weekend so If i get that it should be good for every other weekend and save a boat load of money.    check out this link.  http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS350US350&q=5lb+propane+tank&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12630079255633931102&os=sellers&sa=X&ei=5z2zTuv9J5GctweGmZHGAw&ved=0CF4Q_QgwAA#

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:28 PM »
So I went to BPS in auburn today.  2 raps, 2 lindy rattln flyer spoons, a BPS medium action 36 inch pole and some braided ice line.  I gotta stop buying crap. I really need nothing and all I want now is a showdown troller pack and a battery for it. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Did you get the hds5 with the ice pack/machine? like the x67? 

I have the hds5 on my boat and was looking in reeds yesterday at the pack for them.  for 150$ i dont see how i can go wrong...

there is a $25.00 rebate on the pack

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I just ordered a 4.25 lb propane tank from lowes for 52 dollars with pick up in store camping world was cheaper before shipping then it was 57 bucks so i ordered from lowes. Now i have to fill it up and ill be set to make a trip up to bay of quinte

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.