New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NORTHERN CHALLENGE FEB.5 TUPPER LAKE  (Read 7211 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
NORTHERN CHALLENGE FEB.5 TUPPER LAKE
« on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Never fished this tourney before and would appreciate some advice as to accomodations in Tupper Lake area.  Is there a specific hotel where most of the guys stay???  Where do you register for the tourney???  Don't know anything about the lake itself....have no motorized transport..... is there a suggested area that can be fished successfully by walkers??

Any suggestions from you guys who fish Tupper regularly would be helpful .... Thanks!!

IceBalls

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
Re: NORTHERN CHALLENGE FEB.5 TUPPER LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:08 PM »
i have fished it for years and all i can so is it is a great time.if you want a motel room in tupper you better reserve now.for the fishing and you are walking when you get to the boat launch just head straight out.you must get there early and when i say early i mean like 2or3 in the morning.as for registration i think you can get one on line.not sure but i would goggle it.i hope this helps.

Offline lamp519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:34 PM »
this is a great time. you can try www.parkmotelandcabins .com for reservations but as stated I would get right on it. There is alot of places to stay in Long Lake as well thats about 1/2 hr ride though. Motel # is 518-359-3600. good luck

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Never fished this tourney before and would appreciate some advice as to accomodations in Tupper Lake area.  Is there a specific hotel where most of the guys stay???  Where do you register for the tourney???  Don't know anything about the lake itself....have no motorized transport..... is there a suggested area that can be fished successfully by walkers??

Any suggestions from you guys who fish Tupper regularly would be helpful .... Thanks!!

IceBalls

It is NOT on Tupper. It is held on Simon's Pond, a tributary of Tupper. Get there MEGA early!! The doors open at 3am. Parking can be a nightmare. I go the day before and sleep out on the ice.

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:34 PM »
they say you cant fish before the tournment if your in it so why go out the night before

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:48 PM »
if i can i will go up early this year and stake a claim for the derby

Offline fowlweather92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:21 PM »
the biggest fish you will catch wiil be your minnows... great time though!!!

Offline Fatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:03 AM »
This will be my 9th or 10th year. I always go with the same group of guys.  We always go up on Friday to set up our shanty's and stake out our area.  We have fished all over that pond and have never found one area better than another.  We have walked away with some first place prize money as well.  Usually after we set up on Friday we spend the rest of the day fishing another nearby lake.  There is only one place this year in Tupper lake that has bait and that is The RED Top Inn.  I think it is a great time and look forward to it everyear.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:03 PM »
they say you cant fish before the tournment if your in it so why go out the night before

That's true. You can't fish before 7am. But, it is such a zoo from 3am on, that I avoid it all by sleeping out. I get a good night's rest and roll out of bed just in time to start fishing, while many others are fighting traffic / crowds, and rushing around just to get there. And getting there the day before, you have a little better chance of getting a spot that you want to be in. I'm getting old. Hitting the road at midnight, to get there by 3am, hustle most the day, to leave there around 5pm and drive three hours home, then take care of my gear, it's essentially almost a 22 hour day, is too much for these old bones. Sleeping out is fun and not as difficult on me.

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:02 PM »
where are you driving from do you have a good shanty to sleep in

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I went twice and it was a nightmare both times. The prizes are big though I just couldn't stand the crowd.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:33 AM »
where are you driving from do you have a good shanty to sleep in

Waterford. It is an Eskimo Ice Cube. They cal it a four man shanty, but that is elbow to elbow, sitting. It is just enough room for me, my cot, my heater and a chair. Works great!

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:25 PM »
nice sounds good goodluck to you up there wish i could go but some plans came up so i wont be attending.

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:55 AM »
You can also Try calling the Timber Lodge.  They are about 2 miles before you get to Simond pond.  359-2320.  Very reasonable.  I use to rent the whole place but we haven't been to the derby in a few years.  As far as walking, I suggest you wander out straight from the boat launch in the main bay and find a spot.  It's all 5-8fow in that bay.  Don't bother sounding holes.  Just put a few suckers under the ice at different depths and wait.  If you want deeper water make a right off the boat launch and head about 500-600 yards.  It will start to drop off.  Be prepared to have wheelers and such go through or near your spread.  It's pretty crowded and unless you find a place far enough away, there will be some human action around you.  It is fun though.     

Offline davek134

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:55 AM »
how is the lake looking ?

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:51 PM »
how is the lake looking ?
Local guys are putting out shanties.  There is a bit of plowed areas, but not a lot.  Last I checked there was 9-10" of ice, but that was a couple of weeks ago.  I don't think there is much more than that though as there is about 10" on Raquette Pond.  Some areas of slush as we have quite a bit of snow cover.   You can sign up at the clubhouse (archery building) on Friday from around noon til 10pm.  Then it will open back up at 3 a.m. for signups and tag assignments.  I know some guys who sign up but don't even fish, they are just in it for the door prizes!  Keep in mind when you park your vehicle on the street (if the parking areas are all full) to park facing rt. 30.  That way you won't have to get turned around in order to leave.  This is a narrow road and it is very congested.  Good luck to all who enter.  Any further questions call Dave at 518-359-9715 or Mike at 518-359-7541 or email at [email protected].

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Is there a number of spots or is it still open to fish?
Dont't catch um all

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:20 PM »
i think there is quite a few i just wonder about all this snow were getting if will effect this tournment in any way hopefully not

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:54 AM »
Is there a number of spots or is it still open to fish?
We still have openings for registrations.  You can sign up at the club house on Friday afternoon and up to 10 pm.  Then it will open back up at 3 a.m.
Mike

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:20 AM »
we're leaving on fri. regardless of all this snow, have 4 4wheelers with plows, and one wheeler with tracks, bringing a shack down that's on a snowmobile trailer (8'x10') we will plow all day on friday if we have to....icepike26 out
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:24 AM »
we're leaving on fri. regardless of all this snow, have 4 4wheelers with plows, and one wheeler with tracks, bringing a shack down that's on a snowmobile trailer (8'x10') we will plow all day on friday if we have to....icepike26 out

Thanks for coming!  And good luck to all of you.  Hopefully the weatherman will exagerate this storm's potential like they usually do!
Mike

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:00 AM »
If anyone needs help getting shacks out on Fri. or needs help getting to their spot let me know, we will be there by 12 noon on Fri...We'll be straight out from the launch with a big Green tin ice shack...icepike26 out
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER

Offline davek134

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:45 AM »
dont have four wheeler   is it travleable by truck

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:31 PM »
We don't allow trucks on the ice the day of the derby, only 4 wheelers and snow sleds.  Any truck that ventures out onto the ice on Friday must be off the ice by 5 a.m. on Sat.  Quite a bit of snow on the pond, but there are a few plowed lanes.
Mike

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:57 PM »
let's keep this one near the top so we can get some snow reports for tomorrow.....icepike26 out
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER

Offline kodiak120

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:24 PM »
how many guys are estimated to be there on sat..
Gotta wake up to catch 'em...

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:26 PM »
let's keep this one near the top so we can get some snow reports for tomorrow.....icepike26 out
craig, i will keep it up to date. you fishing the same area with the same guys?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:13 PM »
craig, i will keep it up to date. you fishing the same area with the same guys?

Yeah Matt, same group of guys this year, but we are bringing down only one shack, we made it on a snowmobile trailer that's 8'x10' with 2" insulation board 2x4 wall's and outside is green tin, can't miss it
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:06 AM »
Yeah Matt, same group of guys this year, but we are bringing down only one shack, we made it on a snowmobile trailer that's 8'x10' with 2" insulation board 2x4 wall's and outside is green tin, can't miss it
[/quote
text me when you get on the ice, we will hook up for some pre-derby festivities.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Mikeonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:18 AM »
What ever happened to the idea of a kids division?  There has been talk about it for a couple of years, but no action.  You guys are always good to the kids, but it would definitely make it more interesting for mine.  Hopefully we will be able to drag the family through the new foot or more that you get today and be able to clear out a spot on Saturday!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.