New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otisco Lake Tiger Muskies  (Read 7645 times)

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otisco Lake Tiger Muskies
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:13 AM »
Anyone know when the derbies are on Otisco this year?  I think the World Record Muskie on a tip up was landed around this time of the year in a tournament last year.  If anyone knows please post.  I would like to enter.

thanks!

First of 4 derbys in a row starting this weekend out of Moondance.You can get info at Bearwood Bait. There is Bearwood info on this link

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Fish shack, it's always tought to judge photos.  What where the approximate lenght and weights of those fish, especially the 2 top ones.  Those are PIGS!  I don't know but something about a big norlunge mount.  Sick!!!!!

The biggest fish in the pic was caught last winter. I believe Charlie at Bearwood said they all were. Maybe Rose will chime in. Here is the story that was in the Syracuse Post Standard on it.

The interesting part is - the DEC is sure there are bigger ones in Otisco.
Posted by David Figura/The Post-Standard February 16, 2009 12:53PM

"Lakeland resident Tom Boise, 49, caught a gargantuan, 27-pound, 5-ounce tiger muskie through the ice on Otisco Lake Saturday while fishing in a derby sponsored by the Moondance Restaurant. The fish appears to have broken the existing world record for a tiger muskie caught with a tip-up, according to a spokesman today from the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisc.

The fish was 44 1/2 inches long, with a girth of 22 1/2 inches."

p://[/img]

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:23 AM »
somebody on here may know a little more about that world record.  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:26 AM »
the  world record pickerel  was caught by my  friend   elvin  ,almost   it  doesn't  count  because  he snagged it  with a sonar  one  sat night  as we  was drinking  beers  and the women folk went to  bingo ...we didn't  have a official  scale   but  after  2  12  packs  elvin  held the pickerel and got on the scales in his  bath room... 197 pounds  i  seen it myself!!!! evil  knew this was  big news  so he filled the  tub  with ice  and  left the pickerel in the  tub ,seems that night the dog pulls the pickerel out and  has a  snack on the couch ,  elvins wife  seeing a  half eatten pickerel  in her living room  became a little upset and  tossed  the world  record pickerel (along with elvin)  out the door. other then this  post the world   will never know  of  the  true  world record  pickerel!

oh silver  sonar,in 10 foot of water  out of leaky  jonboat , rope  tied on side  for live well

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:05 AM »
The biggest fish in the pic was caught last winter. I believe Charlie at Bearwood said they all were. Maybe Rose will chime in. Here is the story that was in the Syracuse Post Standard on it.

The interesting part is - the DEC is sure there are bigger ones in Otisco.
Posted by David Figura/The Post-Standard February 16, 2009 12:53PM

"Lakeland resident Tom Boise, 49, caught a gargantuan, 27-pound, 5-ounce tiger muskie through the ice on Otisco Lake Saturday while fishing in a derby sponsored by the Moondance Restaurant. The fish appears to have broken the existing world record for a tiger muskie caught with a tip-up, according to a spokesman today from the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisc.

The fish was 44 1/2 inches long, with a girth of 22 1/2 inches."

(Image removed from quote.)p://[/im(Image removed from quote.)g]

(Image removed from quote.)

Man awesome fish!

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:44 AM »
the  world record pickerel  was caught by my  friend   elvin  ,almost   it  doesn't  count  because  he snagged it  with a sonar  one  sat night  as we  was drinking  beers  and the women folk went to  bingo ...we didn't  have a official  scale   but  after  2  12  packs  elvin  held the pickerel and got on the scales in his  bath room... 197 pounds  i  seen it myself!!!! evil  knew this was  big news  so he filled the  tub  with ice  and  left the pickerel in the  tub ,seems that night the dog pulls the pickerel out and  has a  snack on the couch ,  elvins wife  seeing a  half eatten pickerel  in her living room  became a little upset and  tossed  the world  record pickerel (along with elvin)  out the door. other then this  post the world   will never know  of  the  true  world record  pickerel!

oh silver  sonar,in 10 foot of water  out of leaky  jonboat , rope  tied on side  for live well

I believe that it is a true story but I was laughing hard when I read it, awesome story man...

Offline dh2028

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:43 PM »
They were all caught last winter. The top 2 are 27+lbs and 24+lbs respectivelly. In an 8 day period at least 5 - 20lb tigers were caught last winter. It is an amazing fishery, Although today I didn't even get a flag :(
Wishing I was Fishing

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:23 PM »
of course  it's  true  ...sorta .....  would a fisherman  lie????

Offline sneekybobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:43 AM »
of course  it's  true  ...sorta .....  would a fisherman  lie????
Are all of these caught with minnows on tip ups?  Or, is it possible to get them jigging?

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Anyone know when the derbies are on Otisco this year?  I think the World Record Muskie on a tip up was landed around this time of the year in a tournament last year.  If anyone knows please post.  I would like to enter.

thanks!
this weekend and you can sign up at bearwood bait 685-7243

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:38 AM »
somebody on here may know a little more about that world record.  ;)
it is division four tip-up that tom got pre-was 27 flat tom took it by 5oz all info that would be needed contact bearwood and a fish bio needs to be peasant when you weigh in the fish

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Are all of these caught with minnows on tip ups?  Or, is it possible to get them jigging?
tip-ups

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:05 AM »
i fish otisco   alot  and all my tiggers  have  been on tip ups but i have  been  bit of  jigging for  panfish, they really are a cool fish 

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:28 AM »
bump derby this weekend

Offline Vogel451

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:19 PM »
wow really?  I've been wondering where tiger muskies came from for quite some time.  Very interesting.  I wonder why they do it.

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:05 AM »
bump derby is hear keep tight lines catch big fish

Offline dh2028

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:04 AM »
The tigers are stocked in Otisco to control the alewive population. Because they can't reproduce if they ever need to be thinned you just don't stock any fry in the lake until you need them again.

Wishing I was Fishing

Offline Fish Problem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:34 AM »
That trout looks like a tasty sardine for those Tigers.  Now I know why the browns in Otisco will never make a come back.

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:29 AM »
That trout looks like a tasty sardine for those Tigers.  Now I know why the browns in Otisco will never make a come back.

What trout?   There's nothing wrong with the trout population in Otisco. There's lots of them and there are big ones in there.

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:32 AM »
that is a big tiger!

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:06 PM »
What is the season on the tigers and the size limit? I would love to ice fish Otisco. I only open water fished it once and I hooked up with a fish of a life time. This tiger was the size of the boat but for better judgement it was a 60 plus inch range fish. I had'em next to the boat twice untill it bent out my 1/0 mustad. I hooked up with this beast using a 5inch senko, purple flake with a 1/2 oz tungsten, punching weeds. I was actually reeling in my lure to take another flip when the tiger hit. Scared the crap out of me watching the jaws flare, fish  moving at speeds seemed to be mock 10, coming right for me I thought, jumping back 6-7 feet to the oposite side of the boat do I realize this fish is on my line and it let me know quickly. As if I had tied my fishing line to a tree and drove away in the other direction. What a powerfull fish. 

Offline Fish Problem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:45 PM »
What trout?   There's nothing wrong with the trout population in Otisco. There's lots of them and there are big ones in there.

Just my way of saying those are big pickerel, and thanks for letting me in on the trout secret.

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2010, 04:18 AM »
it is go time lets see if we get some more big tigers good luck to all

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2010, 06:39 AM »
it is go time lets see if we get some more big tigers good luck to all

So you have caught some big tigers ?