New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Take a kid fishing  (Read 6669 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Take a kid fishing
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:53 PM »
My two are 4 and 7
We managed to get a few this afternoon.

I think he was starting to get hungry.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:28 PM »
prchslyr, nice pics of the kids and the pike. Kenny showed me the pike pics he took of it. Looks like you stayed pretty close to the parking lot.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #62 on: Feb 15, 2009, 07:18 PM »
One from today ... my nephew got this one jigging  ;D

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:54 PM »
This past friday I took My buddies son out ice fishing, He's 15 and had never walked on ice, let alone ice fished. He had a blast, caught a few fish and learned what the term 'whiteout' means when you are 3/4 of a mile out on chaumont bay. I sent the pics of our adventure to his dad who is Deployed in Iraq right now on his 4th tour of duty, He told me he cried like a little kid when he got them. Those guys sure do sacrifice alot to protect our freedoms... thanks you to all you armed services folks out there.
Just wanted to say Much Love to our Men and Woman who protect us. Hope you all get back safe to your families!!!   And to all who take the time to spend with other peoples kids, no matter the reason...... Great Stuff.....Fish on !!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:40 PM »
heres my girls yesterday investigating the first flag.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Nice old school ups... Those girls will be showing the boys up soon enough!  But you can wait for that I'm sure  ;)
-Doeindesguise

Offline teamnuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:42 PM »
yeah i took my kid fishing but he is older than a little kid   :tipup:

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Took granddaugther out when she was 3yrs.old.won a icepole at derby at Sandy Pond, she still uses it to this day.Grandson also 3 yrs.old frist time out,he loves both ice and open water fishing.If he's not here he calles asks if gramp will take him fishing...lol.In school he writes about it all the time,had to grandparnets day and teacher was glad to meet me, she told me all this lil boy talkes bout is going fishing or turkey hunting with gramps.ooopppsss,my bad...would post pics but haven't figured out how yet.... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #68 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Can Alaskans post here too?
2 year old Ayden.

Six month old Kye went on his first spearing trip last 2-16-09.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Of course Alaskans can post here   ;D  This Post is for everyone...  The more pics the better.  That pic of Kyle in the sled is priceless!  He looks so happy and comfy, wish I could just curl up in the sled like that!   :D
-Doeindesguide

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Used to take my Nephew out some when he was younger....now he's too busy hangin with his "buds" and riding snowmobiles, atv's and pursuing all the other pastimes a kid his age does. He still likes ice fishing....he's just at that stage now...you all know the one...the "I don't wanna hang out with old farts stage"..LOL
Here's a few pix from his first trip out

I have a friend coming in from out of town the last weekend of the month that has a 10yr. old son that has never ice fished (neither of them have for that matter) so I'm hoping the weather holds out so I can show them a good time. The boy has never caught a Pickerel and for some reason that's what he really wants to go after. I know a private lake that usually gives up some nice ones and it's a decent Panfish lake as well so he should enjoy it.  ;D.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline callduckfarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:32 AM »
3 fish from this morning.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:38 AM »
here's a happy girl with her perch!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:41 PM »

I have a friend coming in from out of town the last weekend of the month that has a 10yr. old son that has never ice fished (neither of them have for that matter) so I'm hoping the weather holds out so I can show them a good time. The boy has never caught a Pickerel and for some reason that's what he really wants to go after. I know a private lake that usually gives up some nice ones and it's a decent Panfish lake as well so he should enjoy it.  ;D.....WK

This part of this post and the one earlier in this thread about the kid whose Dad was in the service have gotten me thinking (amazing in itself!)........any way we could start some program to "Take a kid fishing" and try to offer the chance to ice fish to kids who don't have anyone to take them?......no idea how we could do it but it seems like a possibility.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline outdoorjohn2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I've introduced several kids to fishing and everyone I have introduced loves fishing and will probably fish for the rest of their live but I would not introduce anyone to hardwater fishing first. Because it can require a lot of walking and very cold.  Take a beginning fisherman on a warm summer day from shore. But definitely get kids out fishing!

Offline teamnuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:53 AM »

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Ship of fools, great idea.  The best any of us could do on that subject is if you are in a rod and gun club, put the idea out of starting a program through your club.  The only way to really make such a thing work at this moment is through motivated individuals on a local scale.  I think you may be on to something.  How could we establish just who and where these youth are that are unable to go with a parent/guardian?  Word of mouth?  Iceshanty?  This is tough... I'll have to think about this one.  such a great idea!  This could be big, seriously.  Get inner city kids involved heck, any kids, especially those though that are either missing a parent for any reason or just lack of means/money for gear/location...  Could also make it a gathering/youth type get together derby thing raising money all for the kids, families.  Now I'm fired up and want to do something... Any thoughts people?
-Doeindesguise

Offline fishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:03 AM »

First ever fish through the ice

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #78 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:26 AM »
This part of this post and the one earlier in this thread about the kid whose Dad was in the service have gotten me thinking (amazing in itself!)........any way we could start some program to "Take a kid fishing" and try to offer the chance to ice fish to kids who don't have anyone to take them?......no idea how we could do it but it seems like a possibility.

Trust me you can organize this. You already thought about it. Just start doing it. You'll never regret it. Ask a local gas gas station if you can put out a donation jug labled "rods for kids". You can make an event!

Offline fishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:28 AM »
I've got some pics from warmer days, hope you guys don't mind

First eye he ever caught. I made the mistake, telling him to watch out for the teeth. He was afraid he'd get bitten, that's the look on his face lol

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:06 AM »

First eye he ever caught. I made the mistake, telling him to watch out for the teeth. He was afraid he'd get bitten, that's the look on his face
Better safe than sorry!

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:24 AM »
Does anybody think it would be a bad idea to move this over to Ice Fishing Pictures and make it into a sticky topic? 

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:34 AM »
Kids are the best!! Don't have any of my own, but I have lots of nieces and nephews that like to come along.  Always a blast to see it through their eyes...

Offline teamnuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Taking kids fishing who might never get the chance to is a very noble cause! This could really work but only if we do it. It wouldnt cost much every ice fisherman (woman) has spare poles tips..... It is just a matter of doing it. Lets all do our part here. Take a friend or family member at least once this year, that in itself would be a success. Regards to all!! Post pics here, I think it automaticly becomes a sticky thread with enough replies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the majority of us are happy with this post right here... Lets not poop on someone else's parade eh?  If this post bithers you, simply don't look at it  ;D

-Doeindesguise

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure the majority of us are happy with this post right here... Lets not poop on someone else's parade eh?  If this post bithers you, simply don't look at it  ;D

-Doeindesguise
I never meant any harm, I just thought, there are lots of members on this site from other states that would also enjoy sharing pics of their kids out fishing.  I stumbled upon this topic by accident, but in Ice Fishing Pictures, it would be easier for people to see.   And I thought, rather then start another topic on this same subject, we could just move it to ice fishing pictures and make it a sticky topic (w/ Moderators permission) so it is always at the top of the list for everyone to see.  I guess if you consider that Pooping on someone else's parade, sorry.  And seeings how I posted pics of my kids on here, obviously this topic doesn't bother me.  ;D

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Lets keep this post clear of white noise and pics/stories only...
-Doeindesguise

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Here is my 3 year olds first hard water fish, AWESOME DAY :thumbsup:

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2009, 04:21 PM »
New York General has had a rough year. If I may, I suggest leaving it on NY General, we need it this year  ;) If at all possible to dup it to pics, dup it, don't move it   :'(   That's my boy   :thumbsup:

Thanks,
dav

FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:11 PM »
I meant no offense, if I would have known it would upset, people I would not have suggested it.  And to those people I upset, I am sorry.  The only reason I suggested it, is because there are Iceshanty member that would like to show pics of their kids, but don't feel it's proper to post in other states sections.  I have set up a similiar topic in the Ice Fishing Pictures Section and would like to invite everyone who has posted pics here to also post them there.
Pics of Your Kids Fishing

That's the end of the "white noise" from me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.