Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304413 times)

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
cooking with mr.buddy heater
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:51 PM »
I've wanted a way to heat up a cold sandwich or drink with my Mr. Buddy heater and tonight I think I found away. $4 dollars for a flat spit basket in the grilling section of local home improvement store.

UPDATE DECEMBER 29, 2011
Using aluminum foil to contain drips while cooking with your Mr. Buddy Heater is a good idea.  :)
Letting the aluminum foil come in contact with the plastic handle is a bad idea.  :(
I now have a slightly modified/melted handle and am headed back to the R&D department for improvement.
Matt

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Pretty sweet man! I was hoping for something like this; as I was out yesterday and had to resort to just laying my grilled cheese sandwich right on the red part up there. Got a bit of melted cheese on the front grate. Doh!

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:29 PM »
had a pair of needle nose pilers frezze on me so i jammed em in the girl a few minutes later they sizzled when i touched em to snow ... so it should work good to make grilled cheese lol

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:49 PM »
I thought the grill approach might keep everything a little cleaner. Probably still use foil to contain any drips.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:03 AM »
i have the big buddy heater, and i just lay the dogs right across the top two grates...  it is a little different from the regular buddy.  Have also made my own grate from coat hangers for the coffee pot. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:10 AM »
I thought the grill approach might keep everything a little cleaner. Probably still use foil to contain any drips.

Definitely, plus less to carry along. The only time I consider bringing my Coleman propane stove or propane grill is when I'm bringing a larger group of unexperienced fishermen/women, and I don't plan on getting much of it(fishing) done myself. So I can hop between cooking and catering to tangled lines, baiting hooks, and taking fish off.

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:11 AM »
Here's a question for you guys. Can a Buddy heater be laid on it's back? So that the grill is facing up? Or will this shut off the grill?

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:14 AM »
It will shutoff. I've heard of guys overiding the safety feature but I wouldn't post how to do it if I knew.

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:27 AM »
Yeah, I thought that would be cool. But modding to override a safety feature sounds a little sketchy.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:20 AM »

This is how I'm going to do it. ;D  I have bought some small aluminum pans and wedged them between the handled and front grill they did work but I would like a more level surface. :tipup:

Offline 4gabriel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Have also made my own grate from coat hangers for the coffee pot.  

Wait, coffee pot, this sounds interesting does it get hot enough to brew coffee? Cause that would be aaawwwsome. I bring a thermos out but it gets cold after a bit, I guess I could bring a tin cup and set it on it to warm it up by the cup though. Man this alone will make me stay on the ice longer.  :)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I've been using small aluminum foil pans to reheat precooked meals on my Buddy. That addition to your Buddy would be handy for larger tins and flat area for grilled sandwiches, great idea!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Wait, coffee pot, this sounds interesting does it get hot enough to brew coffee? Cause that would be aaawwwsome. I bring a thermos out but it gets cold after a bit, I guess I could bring a tin cup and set it on it to warm it up by the cup though. Man this alone will make me stay on the ice longer.  :)

good idea, just make sure that when you buy the "metal" coffee cup that it is not aluminum.

I have seen stainless steel pans / mugs in the camping area at Gander Mountain and Walmart.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:22 AM »
We use bambo skewers for hot dogs,soft pretzels & toasted hot dog buns.stick the skewers right in the top. works great with the big buddys ;D ;D ;D

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Ha!  That's fantastic!! I was out the other day trying to warm up some food and thought that I need to start looking for something...the little spit grill is perfect :)
I was thinking of a pie plate or some tinfoil to catch drips...would this block heat ultimately I wonder?  Guess it would help if the food wasn't too messy.
The harder the better!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:49 PM »
hmmm slow cooked steak!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:53 PM »

That feature is annoying and over sensitive. Mines going to get modified, you bump it and it goes out.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:46 PM »
   Not only will it heat it up but it will boil a small pot, I made a similar mod to mine last year and always have cup o soup in my sled
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:57 PM »
   Not only will it heat it up but it will boil a small pot, I made a similar mod to mine last year and always have cup o soup in my sled

Are we talking a single or double Buddy?

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Are you talking a single or double Buddy?

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I ve been thinking about buying a buddy Jr but cooking is a disadvantage to my Mr Heater Cooker. Thats the main reason I still don't have one.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 PM »
yes my single buddy heater will boil water. I use a small kettle after burning my lip on an enameled tin cup. Now it's heat the water pour into cup
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Nice work nothing like redneck engineering!! ;D
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:11 PM »
dang...back to fleet farm agian!!!! hehe....
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:26 PM »
I been looking for a grate, might have to make one at work. I bent a coat hanger around the front of my Buddy and I cook sausage type things on it. A hot meal on the ice does make it a LOT easier to stay out there.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I used mine for the first time today cooking dogs.  Just put some heavy foil on the top and flipped dogs a bunch of times.

While fishing and looking at them cooking, I was coming up with some ideas for some type of rotisserie (manual turned) that I can mount on the front for at least doing two dogs at once, maybe four if it is not too complex.

Will post pics if I come up with something.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:14 PM »
I gotta see this. :-\

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Went to Fleet Farm, they had the grill supplies on sale. (I wonder why?)

Anyway,  I bought one of those metal baskets that you put on your grill for $6.  

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-58113567002822_2088_16740735

Used it today for heating some smoked pork loin.

Wow,  a hot meal sure makes a difference out on the ice.

Wiener

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:30 AM »
I've been cooking on mine for years now.

Bought an aluminum mesh screen at HD for paint rolling in a bucket and fastened it on. Just keep the foil pans forward so the handle won't melt.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:38 AM »
Here's a question for you guys. Can a Buddy heater be laid on it's back? So that the grill is facing up? Or will this shut off the grill?

A Mr. Buddy can be laid on its back. Been doing it for years. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.