Author Topic: Great expirenses  (Read 882 times)

Offline sharpteeth

• IceShanty Rookie
Great expirenses
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Ime asking people to post about there most memerable fishing expirenses let everyone know what u love most about the gret sport of fishing

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great expirenses
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Well my most memorable fishing experience although I have plenty would have to be catching my first pike over 36 inches. I've been fishing Bantam lake hard since the 10th grade trying to catch a big pike. In high school during study hall or computer labs I used to read article after article on catching pike thru ice. After 5 years of nothing but little rats and one at 32 inches, in February of 2010 I decided to try a huge footlong dead perch that I caught earlier. At 1:27pm I had just changed the song on my Ipod and I looked over at my spread and there was a flag up. I'll never forget the adrenalin that came as soon as I realized what tip up was up. I bolted over there to see the spool slowly turning, gave it a few minutes the whole time trying to remain calm, then set the hook into a freight train. After a 12 minute fight I finally got my first pike over 36 inches. My 2nd pike was at 37 inches that came in Janurary of 2011 but not as fat as this one.

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:12 PM »
thats a beauty dude, i got a 38'' 15.5 pound pike in the end of november that halfway straightened a 2x treble! ;D ;D ;D

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Thats a nice bantam pike for sure and a great story. Sounds a whole lot like one of my most memorable experiences, also on bantam. It was my 3rd year targeting pike and had only hit the 30 inch mark. It was a very mild and sunny day, and we had already caught several fish to about 7 lbs. One of my flags goes up with huge live goldie, and the spool is slow rolling when I arrived (as the big girls tend to do). Ended up tangling with my PB at the time, a 38 inch 15+ lber. I was beyond pumped. DEP C.O. Keith Schneider happened to be in the parking lot in his vehicle at the time, and he came over the loudspeaker saying "Nice one boys!". Will never forget that fish.

Landing my PB 21 lber in VT last season was a real trip as well, but seemed like much more of a blur, probably because I was fishing solo. It was 730 AM and I was setting up my 5th trap when my first flag goes up. Same story...get to the trap and the spool is just creeping. I gave it a few more seconds and then set. The fish felt very weird, coming in easy for a little while and then becoming dead weight. No runs really, but the massive headshakes told me she was probably a good fish. It wasn't until her head was to the hole that I had any idea I was about to break 20lbs. she took one lazy assed run when she first saw the hole and then came in nice and easy. It was all over in less than 5 minutes from the time of flag up to the time of release. I was kind of stunned after I sent her back down the hole, and made my way back to the camera to see if the self timer worked. Thank god it did. Then I yelled for a minute or so.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:55 AM »
well mine came last year the day after christmas, me and 2 budies went to crystal in ellington. we were setting up about 30 minute of being there and i was setting up the hut with most tipups in my friend was putting his last one in the water and i was in the hut starting the heater. i hear flag so i pop out and its on of the ones he just put in, sets the hook and snap #12 test floro . lost fish... 5 minutes later mine goes up 20 feet from the hut and about 30 from the flag that snapped. i set it now worried cause i have #8 mono leader, fighting this fish for 10 minutes another flag goes up, i send my other friend to check it(he has never icefished). he sets it 2 fish at once about 5 or 10 minutes and out of the first hole 30 inch 8.5 pound salmon happy as crap i ask how the other one is he said its a nice fish come get it and a few minutes later 30.5 inchs and 10 pound salmon comes out. the first on had the leader and hook in his mouth that snapped of my budies line we also jigged a few perch and got a small bass. it was the best day i have ever had on ice and at crystal!!!  ;D

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Mine was a cold November 2010 day with my daughter at Crystal Lake. We were fish less for hours, and she was getting pretty cold in the canoe. I talked her into one more troll around the lake and the rod went off. I of course handed her the rod. You should have seen how big her eyes were and the expression when this 8+lb beauty jumped out of the water right next to the canoe eye level with her. What a great day. Funny thing she was not cold anymore after landing this fish.
Hawk

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:44 AM »
nice fish hawk looked just like the one i got, makes you feel good putting a smile on her face!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.