Author Topic: Shanty lights  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
Shanty lights
« on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Just bought some LED rope lights (6' long/First Ice brand) for my shanty.  Tried them last night by hooking them up to my cordless drill battery (18V).  They're nice and bright, and drill batteries are fairly light weight and easy to recharge.  Just wondered how long you guys think they'll last using this setup?  I have a couple 18V and one 12V drill battery.  Thought I could surely make it through the night with the 2 18Vs?  Anybody else tried this?     

yankem

Re: Shanty lights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Looking for a lighting solution myself...never tried powering anything from my drill batteries...my hardside is 4x6, those lights should be enough to perform surgery, eh?

Offline ice_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:05 AM »
A number of folks that I run across use another vexilar battery to support their power needs for lighting the shanties....

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Yeah, I've heard that the vexilar batteries work well, but I don't have one and was looking for an alterntive solution.  Basically anything that's fairly small and portable and that I can recharge many times without it giving up on me.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:19 AM »
12V may be ok, but I wouldn't use that 18V.  Those lights are only rated for 12V.  It may work, but it will shorten the life of them!  I've only seen the 12 batteries from other portable electronics used.  I'd stick with one of them.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:33 AM »
a small ATV bat should work iwould also try the portable battery packs or booster pack
in god we trust

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Yeah, I saw those, but they were around $40-$60, and I was trying to keep the cost down.  I don't mind buying an extra drill pack, as I'll use it for the drill too.  Just don't want to get out on the ice and have the thing give up on me after 30min.

yankem

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:04 AM »
I pull the 12v out of my lawn tractor every winter and use that for shanty accessories.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:34 AM »
You can get a flasher/fishfinder battery with recharger at Cabelas for 20 bucks.

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:02 PM »
You can get a flasher/fishfinder battery with recharger at Cabelas for 20 bucks.

No kiddin?  Well maybe I'll have to look that up.  Does it matter what size they are (volts/watts/amps - I'm electrically ignorant).  Thanks guys!

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy, fishy, fishy!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:31 PM »
If your rope lights are l.e.d. bulbs, your current drain will be much less than standard bulbs. It should state somewhere on the package what they draw.

I would stick with a 7amp hour or larger 12v rechargable. You could also visit your fine folks at your closest radio shack, for help.
It's the hunt, not the harvest that matter's most!!

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:33 PM »
Would you guys say that these sets of lights ar bright enough not to need a lantern to see my fishing line? Was wondering before I bought them. Are they worth the effort and money?

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:59 PM »
Would you guys say that these sets of lights ar bright enough not to need a lantern to see my fishing line? Was wondering before I bought them. Are they worth the effort and money?

With a 6' strip you should have no problem seeing your line ... and if you're anything like me you don't want it TOO bright.  Just enough to see what you're doing.

And yeah, using a higher voltage than rated is the best way to destroy LEDs.  The pins heat up fast on the solder around the base when too much voltage is applied and they burn right up.  At the correct voltage they should not get hot at all.

Using a deep cycle battery or something similar you should get weeks of light.  A 6' strip of LEDs is rated what, maybe 6 watts?  6 watts/12 Volts = 0.5 amps, 150 AH (average commercial deep cycle 12V battery)/0.5 amps = 300 hours = 12.5 days of light, 24/7.

Does that sound right to everyone else?  I'm bad at math this time of day ...

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Last year i bought a spare vex battery from sportsmans guide for $20.It even came with a charger.That should be small enough and light enough for what your looking for.

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Tried my 12V cordless drill battery over the weekend and am happy to report that it ran my LED lights from 5:30am until 11am (I just left it on after daylight to make sure it would keep working).  Not sure how much longer it would have lasted, but the fish weren't biting, so I headed for home.  I'm going to stick with it rather than buying one for right now. 

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Avoid the Clam rope lights at any cost- if a store is giving them away-JUST KEEP WALKING!! I am a HUGE Clam supporter- I have a 5600, and a Fish Trap Pro, heck, I even have a Clam hat I wear alot, but they really missed the mark with their rope lights. A Bic lighter gives off more light, and won't drain your Vex batteries.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:07 PM »
I find a small headlamp to be more than enough light for night fishing.  I got a cheapo Energizer LED (2 white plus 1 red) headlamp for $17, batteries included, and the batteries are supposed to last 50 hours.  I've had it out at night for crappies and it's worked great.  It actually puts out the PERFECT amount of light.  Any more and I'd be lighting up the whole lake.

My motto is, never use something more complicated than you need to.  Rope lights are cool, but they don't work any better than a cheap headlamp and they use more electricity too - plus you have to rig them yourself in most cases.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:58 PM »
I second that one. Just be sure not to accidently wear it into your local Wal mart.Ya get the strangest looks ??? ???

Funny you should say that - I wore mine into the gas station on Sunday by accident!  Girl at the counter looked at me funny.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:18 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-38-LEDs-White-Light-Bulb-Lamp-WIDE-ANGLE-MR16-12V_W0QQitemZ300081344659QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43425QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These work fantastic. Feels like daylight inside the shanty. I am using 2 of them and its more than enough light, plus the math says I could run 2 of them for around 20 hours off a flasher battery.

Here is a pic to give you an idea,

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:56 PM »
sphynx, do you have some sort of housing for the bulbs or just hook right up to the pins? Also, do you possibly know Dan thats in Wahpeton? if so, I have seen the lights he has

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:59 AM »
I've also discovered that the 4' LED strings at Gander Mt. (First Ice Brand) are brighter than the 6' strings.  Maybe the 4' versions are the "newer" lights I've been reading about on other threads.  If you've got a choice, I'd go with the 4 footers.  They also seem to be a little better quality.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007, 01:28 PM »
artycat, i have the same lights as syphnx, i got them from him, he had mounted them in a little piece of pvc i think.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:56 AM »
You can just get a genorator.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:19 AM »
for my portable I take along a booster battery pack   I have a few of em     been really impressed with using the one with the built in inverter and running reg ol compact florescent 10 watt light in one of those clip on lamp holders   plenty of light   used the Light and 12 vt fan   was still strong 8 hrs later
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:18 PM »
yep I concur to what macenvy said
(not that i have any idea what it meant but it sure sounded good) :-[

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2007, 02:11 AM »
I found these last year but haven't ordered them yet.
http://www.pcboard.ca/shop/shopexd.asp?id=140

Where do you keep your batteries so they don't flop around in the bottom of your sled? I was trying to find a way to mount the battry in a box with a rocker switch to turn it on and off. And also be able to store the light in the box when not in use. My best box idea so far was an old metal ammo box. Maybe use a quick disconnect to be able to put the light and wires in the box too.
jbird68

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2007, 05:05 AM »
Yeah, I saw those, but they were around $40-$60, and I was trying to keep the cost down.  I don't mind buying an extra drill pack, as I'll use it for the drill too.  Just don't want to get out on the ice and have the thing give up on me after 30min.

Why not plug it in at home and let er run until the lights go out? This should give you an idea of how long the power source will last out on the ice.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Why not plug it in at home and let er run until the lights go out? This should give you an idea of how long the power source will last out on the ice.

Winchester 88
that would be too easy :D

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2007, 09:34 AM »
What is First Ices website address?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2007, 09:43 AM »
Those lights that Jbird linked to look pretty sweet and cheap.  Think I might try 2 sets of them this year and see how they work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.