Author Topic: What State or Province and What Fish is Your Favorite to Catch?  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
I live in Colorado, but I like to fish for Northern better than Trout. Probably because I'm not a real good trout fisherman, but then my biggest Northern was only 20"; so what the h**l am I talking about at 3 in the morning. Hope it just being bored waiting to leave for the lake this morning and not old age! ???

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
Gotta stick with home state.  It may not be the best fishing but its home.  About 10 years back, before the hard drought started we had excellent fishing.  During the drought pressure was still high but the fish just couldn't keep up.  Lake Oahe is still a great fishery, although it is over 50 feet down from its full mark, the smelt population has finally come back.  About 5 years ago on oahe you would catch a 18 inch walleye and it would hardly reach a pound.  The efforts of the gfp have brought it back to life despite the harsh conditions.  I love to fish for walleyes but I love to catch northerns more.  We would sit up in the shallow bays of the mo. and catch northerns in the spring, but unfortunately, those bays are now about 2 miles from the water line.  Im not complaining, well yes i am.
I fished oahe for the first time in 2 years this spring.  We went to Rousseau bay on the Cheyenne in search of northerns.  I was using a 6" sucker w" double #4 trebles under a cigar.  I threw it in and set my pole down, before i had another sucker on my pole my bobber started to dance.  After about a 30 second struggle I horsed in an 11lb walleye.  (50 lb test w/steel)  Only fish I caught all weekend.   Great place to come and visit.

SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Dont want to be a Homer, but I will stick with Ontario...lakes everywhere most species imaginable. As for my fav species to ice, it's a harder one, I love them all, perch, gills, crappie, walleye, pike, Lakers. Im not picky

If I had the chance I would love to spend a winter in Manitoba, there is some great lakes out there and they may me jealous on a daily basis

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
team95monte,

I grew up in SD. Fished Big Stone and Traverse mainly, but lived in Pierre for awhile and fished Oahe back in the late 60's. Really loved fishing the stock ponds west of the river. Caught lots of bass, few northerns, bluegill and catfish on them. Gramps had a ranch leased 70 miles west of Pierre along the Cheyenne; so not only good fishing, the hunting was great too.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
I live in Colorado, but I like to fish for Northern better than Trout. Probably because I'm not a real good trout fisherman, but then my biggest Northern was only 20"; so what the h**l am I talking about at 3 in the morning. Hope it just being bored waiting to leave for the lake this morning and not old age! ???
  I live in central Mi in the only county that doesn't have a lake except for private.  I love to fish for pan fish except for Rock Bass and stick out a tip up for pike. I do have two trout lakes within 10 miles I fish sometimes.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is a toughie...we have licenses for both Alberta and Saskatchewan...fished in Ontario this summer, and would love to try
Manitoba.  But, that said, I would say that for ice fishing...it would be Cold Lake, Alberta....my favorite fish (in case that isn't
obvious) is that noble, beautiful creature of the deep, the incomparable Lake Trout.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We're blessed with an abundance of fish and a variety of fisheries here in Manitoba...of course, from Muddy Waters, Lake of the Woods and other variety are within a 2 hour drive.  I really enjoy fishing in ON, but since I like variety, I think I'll have to say MB is my favourite.

As for species, I don't really think I have a favourite, except perhaps whatever I am fishing for at a particular moment.  Since there is such variety, I tend not to target species too specifically...my wife caught a 32" pike on a 1/8 jig and tail while fishing for walleye this fall.  It's always a bit of a surprise.  I went crappie fishing with a friend in December...we caught a total of 4 crappie, but the perch turned on...we could have been ticked off or moved, but instead we switched targets and had a blast.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
We're blessed with an abundance of fish and a variety of fisheries here in Manitoba...of course, from Muddy Waters, Lake of the Woods and other variety are within a 2 hour drive.  I really enjoy fishing in ON, but since I like variety, I think I'll have to say MB is my favourite.

As for species, I don't really think I have a favourite, except perhaps whatever I am fishing for at a particular moment.  Since there is such variety, I tend not to target species too specifically...my wife caught a 32" pike on a 1/8 jig and tail while fishing for walleye this fall.  It's always a bit of a surprise.  I went crappie fishing with a friend in December...we caught a total of 4 crappie, but the perch turned on...we could have been ticked off or moved, but instead we switched targets and had a blast.

Love catching crappies but given a choice perch hands down for the eating.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
I live in Nebraska, fish in Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Ontario. Walleye was my favorite fish to catch any time mostly because I like the way they taste with a little tarter sauce on the side. I can't say that about every fish I catch...buttt, 3 years ago I caught a few lake trout on Lake of the Woods and I was hooked. I think I like catching lake trout over walleye now. Walleye still taste better....

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
I will put a plug in for Saskatchewan!!

We are home to over 100,000 lakes [many which see very little fishing pressure]

We have practically every species of fish available; and in just about every lake the is a chance that you will catch a trophy!

Tobin Lake was ranked in the top 3 fishing destinations in North America the last 5 years in a row!  It has monster pike and walleye [ Current World Walleye Record taken through the ice at over 18 lbs;  and it is not uncommon in Tobin to catch 35" pike consistently. ]

For those of you who like Lake Trout, Tazin Lake Lodge [ www.tazinlakelodge.com ] produced a 70 lb Lake Trout recently [ only 2 lbs off the world record; In Lake Athabasca they netted a Lake Trout that weighed over 130 lbs !! ]  According to their website, they catch a least one Laker in the 40 - 50 lb range every 4 days!!  If that is not enough, they expect to break the current 70 lb lake record by next year.

In the south we have Bass, and Perch aplenty!!

Too me...there can be no place better in the world for fresh water fishing in the summer or on the ice!!

shawn  8)

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What State or Province and What Fish is Your Favorite to Catch?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Here in Central Pa, I have wide array of fish to target. I think that Crappie are my favorite to catch, with Perch and trout coming in a close 2nd and 3rd. But realistly anything that comes up through a hole in the water is my favorite thing to catch. GD

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:09 PM »
I live in NH. We have a small bit of coastline. My favorite fish to catch is a Striped Bass with live bait. My favorite fish to catch on the ice is ANYTHING THAT WILL MAKE MY FLAG WAVE IN THE AIR!

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:34 PM »

I live in Northern Indiana,the fish I love catch is walleye but here in this State they don't come
             easy.So I go after my second best choice and thats croppie.They are alot easier to catch and they
             are very good eating.I have been searching for a 16 in plus fish,if that day should ever come
             he's going on the wall.My wife is a Northern Pike person she has caught plenty but to this point
             no wall hangers.We just love the sport of fishing and thats the best catch of all.
             Happy Fishing to all............ Be Safe on the ice......     jhc     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Northern Ohio.Home of the famous "Hawg Sized" lake Erie walleye where 8-10lb. fish are caught everyday!!! ;D
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I'm gonna have to say manitoba, being a short drive from hundreds of places is what makes it great.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:08 PM »
I will put a plug in for Saskatchewan!!

We are home to over 100,000 lakes [many which see very little fishing pressure]

We have practically every species of fish available; and in just about every lake the is a chance that you will catch a trophy!

<snip>

In the south we have Bass, and Perch aplenty!!

Too me...there can be no place better in the world for fresh water fishing in the summer or on the ice!!

Shawn,

I grew up north of Saskatoon...much of what you say is true...the down side being many of those lakes can't be gotten to easily.

As for bass, where have they wound up?  I'd heard they were going to put some into Rafferty-Alameda, but I've been in MB long enough now that I'm not sure.

Anywwhere there's Canadian Shield, there's great pike and walleye fishing...bigger lakes have lakers...farther south we get into the bass, crappie, carp, and catfish...so much variety and so much fun.

Either way, I'd rather be out fishing than sitting at home nursing a cold.
Derek

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:43 PM »
You've got that right Thriller !! I'll take fishing anyday over a cold...

You are correct in saying that in order to get to a lot of those locations, it does take a bit of driving in some cases.  I'm sure the same can be said about your fishery in MB.  Manitoba is a wonderful place to be if you a fan of fishing as well.  The size and numbers I hear coming out of your area are amazing.  Rafferty-Alameda did get stocked a little while ago [ maybe 2 years ago now ?? ] with Bass.  Also closer to the MB border there a few little lakes that have Bass as well.  I guess the advantage MB has over SK is that you have closer access to those "shield" lakes than we do here.  Either way, they are both great fisheries and you have an opportunity to catch a variety of fish...

Do you think you will be out fishing this way anytime soon Thriller? There is always an open invitation to come fishing with us if you  are in our area...

shawno  8)

Offline GNT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater 24/7
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:56 PM »
My favorite province to ice fish is ontario because no matter where you go there are fishable lakes. My favorite fish through the ice would have to be a toss up between lake trout and walleye, but anything that bite is good also.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for the invitation...I don't get back there much...all the immediate family is gone now.  We usually just stop into Saskatoon and see a few family / friends passing through on our way to Edmonton where the in-laws are.

You're right about the proximity...if we head east or NE, we are into the shield in 1-1.5 hours from Winnipeg. 

Derek

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:12 PM »
Thanks for the invitation...I don't get back there much...all the immediate family is gone now.  We usually just stop into Saskatoon and see a few family / friends passing through on our way to Edmonton where the in-laws are.

You're right about the proximity...if we head east or NE, we are into the shield in 1-1.5 hours from Winnipeg. 

Thriller, you can pull north on your way from Saskatoon to Edmonchuk and hit Cold Lake...any time...love to soo you!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline algoneida

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:28 PM »
 definately northern ontario for pike..walleye...specks ..lakers and splake.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:49 AM »
I'm from Alberta and walleye is definetly my preferred species. Pigeon and Moose lakes in Alberta and Tobin in Sask are my favourites.
I gotta chubby

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I would have to be a homer and choose my home state Wisconsin.  I am many different lakes around me, with all type of species.  I lived in Green Bay, and many, many hours/days fishing the channel in Sturgeon Bay.  You are able to catch everything from gills to cohos.  Now living in Park Falls, WI, I am not too far from Ashland and Chequamegon bay for some dandy small mouth.

Big W
Big W

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:24 AM »
Would go with Manitoba  .Lake of the Praires early spring and summer for walleye late fall for the jumbo perch. Dauphin lake ice fishing because we have 5 rivers coming into our lake they bite all winter long and usally all day as well.Number 3 choice is Clearwater lake for lakers in April on the ice. ;D

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Montana, whatevers biting.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:40 PM »
new hampshire I enjoy trout as well as a fast crappie bite on the ice with lots of alcohol

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:51 PM »
I live in Alberta we have a mixed bag of fish in most of our lakes, I love to fish for Whites, Pike, Eyes, Perch and Ling 90% of the time they all share the same waters and we have abundance of man made lakes. But at the same time lots and lots of fishing pressure here, to the point where you need to enter and get drawn for a tag to catch and keep A as in 1 Walleye in some lakes unless I drive 3+ hours to some of the lakes north of me.

Id love to fish anywhere that has low fishing pressure and would love even more to fish for Bass and Crappies, never had the pleasure of fishing for those 2 species. My province lacks any type of Sunfish and Bass  :'(
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:56 PM »
NW Montana, Perch(bigger the better)Ling,lakers, kokanee

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:44 PM »
I'm in north certral Vermont. Short drive to most any freshwater fish you want. Deep cold lakers to shallow crappi. I'll chase them all. But for just plain fun and good eats, I like the lowly perch on a jig.!

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:06 PM »
i have two but i think the second will change once i get into the trout
 when in vermont i love the big pike out of champlain
in maine so far i am a big fan of the pickeral in little pushaw
Slaying fish on the hard water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.