Author Topic: Is 2 years old too early?? How old did you start your kids????  (Read 10024 times)

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
Re: Is 2 years old too early?? How old did you start your kids????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:02 AM »
I had my son out last year at 18 months.. he loved it.  We went out about four times.  I bought some sorels for him online and have inserted 1/4 inch screws in the bottom so he has Ice Boots with built in creepers.
, , ,

camo_fish

« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:41 AM »
ok guys, if you don't start them young with the way the weather is going, they may never see ice.  :roflmao:
My son at 2 - 3 months old.  ;)  8)

Then ofcoarse, this maybe a fluke year here in NY with still on fishable ice, except up in God's country.  ;D
My son really got into ice fishing at 3 years old. Nothing wrong with taking your kids fishing, ice or open, just need to make sure that they have the right clothes, toys, and can keep them going.  ;D
These have to be my favorite shots at 3 years old.  8)

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:55 AM »
I had my son on the ice after his 1st Birthday (January)...Camo_Fish...a little too CRAZY for me...but the wife would have slaughtered me if I tried to take him out the same year he was born!!  The first year, he rode in the sled and just enjoyed being pulled around.  Year two, he "helped" me find a downed archery deer as well as numerous trips onto the ice.  When daddy starts gearing up...he runs around, all excited about playing outside.  We bought him an NYS lifetime sportsman last year...hopefully the start of many years of outdoor adventures together.

He has a Tigger pole with a casting weight on it...all the fish he "cathes" are on my pole, I set the hook and he reels in the fish...we both get the enjoyment!! ;D

My daughter will start the sled rides this year (turns 1 in May) so I'm starting her a little earlier.  Weather permitting, the whole family hits the ice for an hour or more of fun.  Don't expect much "productive" fishing time, but getting them on the ice at an early age can only help combat non-interest when the get older.

Offline dewyg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing Partners
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2007, 11:43 AM »
My son was out fishing with me when he was 3 mnths old, he is 5yrs old now and is a great fishing partner. You just have to keep them warm, well fed and remember fishing is not that important to them its the catching that matters.  So I always bring them to my high percentage proven spots to keep him and his sister entertained, always bring along spare clothes and mitts, I recomend 2 sets of each as a spare.
Set the hook and keep your line tight!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2007, 12:21 PM »
Good points all...I started ice fishing too late in life to have them on the ice as early as some of you guys, but the youngest was out there at age 3 or 4.  It turns out, he's the most avid fisher we have.

The middle one said yesterday, as we were wandering around in an outdoors store, that he prefers summer fishing to ice fishing.  That's OK. 

So long as they are smiling and enjoying themselves, it's great.  The last time we had the family out (3 weeks ago...the last time I was fishing...sigh), one of them fished for perhaps 5 minutes...they had a good time building a fort in the snow drifts nearby.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:36 PM »
I started fishing when I was 2.  My dad used to stand me up in his back pack and we would go brook trout fishing in tiny streams.  All of my kids and now my granddaughter started fishing at age 2.  My granddaughter is now 2 1/2 years old and we will certainly go fishing for smelt as soon as the -30 degree weather goes away.

Offline GIGPIG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:24 PM »
My 8 year old son & I both started ice fishing last season. Anything I can do with my kids outdoors is awesome. Today was the first day I outfished him! He just loves telling everyone that he was the only one to catch a fish!!Take your kids out when you think they are ready & enjoy every moment! Please  Remember  they have no fear!! Teach them well! :)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:33 PM »
i have been bringing my boy since he was 2    he loves   keep them warm or it will be quick   hot chocalte cookies and extra mittens can increase fishing time immensly... I tried to bring my daughter at 18 months didnt work out   i think THEY will let you know.  This year i am not sure i will be able to bring them ice fishing  :-\ the ice is ay too sketchy around here and with this crazy snow it isnt going to get much better anytime soon I will take my chances  but not with them .

Offline icefshninnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:41 PM »
just watch the little ones around the 10 in holes they can slip in quick you have to keep a good eye i have a 4 year old and hes fast one moment hes here next hes there we are with him at all times but all it takes is one slip with a small child buy the hole even with you right buy there side we all know it gets wet and slippery at hole side and my boy is at our side at all time he tires me out some days but hes never more than a foot or two away from me and in the bob house we put a cover over the holes in the floor that has a 4 inch hole to jig out of when they are inside when no kids we open up the lid for full acess a small inconvience for your kids safty but i think the next generation is worth it

Offline nitrosoxidious

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all about Fishing
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:19 PM »
I have 3 kids 10, 6, and 3. I take them & my wife fishing and hunting with me all the time, but make it fun for them and set my expectations based on their age. 3 things I'd do for sure: 1. Safety first (good ice, life jackets, warm & dry clothes, food, etc)  2. Fun - go where they can catch something big or small or let them play around on the ice, throw snow, play hockey, etc 3. Time - in the beginning feel what they are comfortable with. My 6 year old will get up at 4am and fish til 5pm, my 10 yr old will not do this but rather shorter trips are good for him. My 3 year old is in between. It's a great way to enjoy your passion with your family & build the family bond. Just don't expect all kids to love what you do to your extent, like everyone we are all different and what trips our trigger may not trip theirs to the same degree. However, normally kids enjoy what their parents do & spending time with them(til they get older, right!). Also, I love getting girls into this. My daughter loves being outside, animals, fishing, etc because she's used to it. She still loves Barbies, but has a little tom boy in her as well thanks to dad.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:38 PM »
my dad started me on the ice at 2 years old....13 years later and he cant keep me off lol. teaching me how to fish and hunt is one of the best things hes ever done for me.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:30 AM »
I landed my first fish at 2 1/2 yrs old....never too young to reel em in! And it counted too! Cause my old man said he wouldn't mount it unless I reeled it in all by myself..... :D

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:47 AM »
That's good.  If she stays interested, it'll be something that you guys can do together.  I miss those days.
My daughter is almost 13 so the thought of spending any time with her parents is just lame.
My daughter is 14 and loves coming out with dad, for how much longer, I don't know.  But I sure cherish everytime she does.

That's my wife on the left, and daughter on the right

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline greatthosu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:51 AM »
No, 2 years is not two Young.It's all about spendding time with them.Be for you know it you'll be paying for the wedding.

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:33 PM »
my son is now 8, i  first took him when he was about 3, at that age it was all about what he wanted to do. now he is more into fishing and just this last week he took my vex and i haven't gotten it back. 
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline TipUp67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I took my son when he was two.  However, there is kind of a scary/funny story to his first expereince.  As I was going to set up his chair he felt that it would be a good idea to put his foot in the hole.  He learned awfully fast that the water was cold and that hole was not for him.  Needless to say his mother was not to happy, but he never lost the desire to go.  Now he is four and we went this past weekend and he wants to go back.  So much for a traumatic expereince.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:49 PM »
My second son went About 14 hours befor he was born. Wife thought a walk out to the shanty would encourage labor. As usuall the wife was right! Start them early, keep them safe and make it fun. It pays off BIG.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:04 PM »
my son is now 8,  just this last week he took my vex and i haven't gotten it back. 

Yep, my 9 year old has been informing his mother that he has enough money saved to buy his own Vex now.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline fishmaster2004z

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:10 PM »
i started my son at 3 and my daughter at 4 my son is now 10 and gets more fish then i do :tipup:

Offline PolarEscape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I started my daughter this summer fishing in the pond, She loves it, She is 2 and I am going to take her on the Ice with me for the first time in a couple weeks, when the weather is going to be warmer, We are in Deep freeze mode finally, I figure I will take My shack out there and just let her do all the fishing, I know a good spot for Bluegills, Should be fun, Can't wait to see her Ice her first fish, I will have to get a Camera and take some pics.

Offline viper75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:42 PM »
I took my daughter fishing at two years old and she had a great time.Can't wait until this summer when i take my one year old.

Offline PolarEscape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:30 PM »
The weather sounds like it is going to cooperate, so tommarow I am taking My daughter for her first Ice Fishing Excursion. I am going to get some pics. I'll Try to post them. Hopefully the fish will bite.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Hey NITROUSOXIDIOUS- your sons for the most part have the right hats on, but that Yankees cap should "accidently" fall in the hole  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.